1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which Mods To Choose?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Thor, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've tried a few of them, but i don't know who is good and who is bad..?
    'twould be nice if i got some opinions i guess :)

I'm definately going for UB, Minsc's quest was hilarious! And that's about all i've desided up untill now. I'm looking for both mods who make the game more interesting and fun to play, and mods who would make the game easier to play, not easier enemies, but easier, or handyer, or what i should call it... You get my picture?

[ March 21, 2004, 20:45: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Woo, first post.
    If you want ease, go for the Ease of Use mod at Weidu.org

As for making the gameplay more intresting, check out his tactics mod, it'll drive you off the deep end in tactical anger.

The Kelsey mod is pretty cool, and so is Solaufein, if you're looking for new characters.

3. Thor Gems: 10/31

okey, thanks! I'll try them out then :thumb:

4. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Kelsey's the best mod. Great character, extremely likeable (especially for a female PC ;) ), and he's a sorcerer so he kicks butt. He's also totally voiced, and the voicing's pretty darn good considering the guy who wrote the mod did the acting. In ToB the acting's actually on par with most of the professional actors hired for the game, IMO. Solaufein's good, but the mod includes some VERY difficult battles, and he tends to become the story's focal point too much for my liking.

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Item Upgrade is a mod that I always play with although some of the upgrades are a little *too* powerful (Improved Kitthix). Then again, which items you upgrade are entirely down to the player so if you think one is overpowered there's no need to bother with it.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Sorry, I hope I'm not TOO off topic, but what quests and unique items does Kelsey come with? I've only encountered that sorceress in Wauken's Promenade twice, and gotten her necklace.

7. Thor Gems: 10/31

Is Kelsey male or female? you seem to say both here? I can find all those mods here at sorcerers.net yes?

8. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kelsey is a male sorcerer, alteast for me? Mayby there's diffrent versions :confused: . He can be found here, yes.

9. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

What is Kelsey's alignment?

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31

No, no, no. When Kelsey(Neutral Good) enters an area after some time, he encounters a sorceress and her goons.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Whatever you do, do NOT, and I repeat, NOT, install Darkest Day. It is more bugs in that one that in Windows ME.

12. chibs Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm runnin windows xp home ed. and i have the darkest day installed and havent ran into one bug.

13. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yes, Kelsey is an NG male human sorcerer.

Unique items related to the mod include his cloak, the amulet, the Inquisitor's Friend wand, and, of course, the Jansen Sorcerer Visual Enhancement Sphere (JSVES).

14. Thor Gems: 10/31

Does there exist any evil aligned new NPC's other than that Valen mod?

15. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There are a couple, but I don't think the ones I know ever got properly finished.

There is an assassin called Silverstar and a monk named Kiara I think.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Silverstar could be pretty interesting, but currently it's still in beta phase and when I tried it, it was unplayable. Different NPC, though. From all the mods that affect NPC's one way or other, only Kelsey is worth considering, IMO. Tashia might be good too, but only if you liked of Anomen and want a female version of him. :shake:

I cannot recommend Imoen romance, since the story is rather crappy and the design of the romance poor. A disappointment, that. Solaufein mod just changes too much of his character, and includes some hefty battles that should have gone to Tactics Mod. Valen is overpowered and REQUIRES to have an evil party (big mistake). Chloe is lesbian and has some ûber-stats to be even slightly interesting.

Others, beside these, I believe are made with a "joke in mind" -more or less. Fun to try once, but soon get very old.

17. UsagiRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

SPOILER:

You forgot that Jan gives Kelsey the power to polymorph others: Oats to protect him from the grainery mages. Hey, at least you can reuse the bad guys now right? Breakfast!

18. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I did consider mentioning "bowl of oatmeal" as a unique Kelsey item but it's both a serious spoiler and... well, it's an ITEM but not a terribly interesting one. :)

Virne:

Most of the battles have moved to Tactics by now. Most of what's left is specific to Solaufein's story or character in some form or another.

Valen refuses to travel with most, but not all, do-gooders... basically, the clerics and (pseudo)paladins. Why is this a mistake or in any way a bad or unlikely thing?

Frankly, despite some of the issues with Valen, I think it is a very well executed example of a truly evil NPC.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Oh, right; maybe I should give Sol a second chance then. Minsc and his "eternal-silence" are getting a bit boring, and Jaheira isn't any better after telling her to shut up. :p Have to see if the starting dialog is still as bad as it was...

Meaning that you HAVE TO BE evil to have her join, since the original game makers of BG2 made it clear that Bodhi's guild was the choise of "evil" roleplayers. Of course, powergamers won't give a crap about this, but I'm not one of those ;)

A pity, that; I always have Aerie in my party. No other NPC does this, if played right (not even Minsc/Edwin)
    Maybe -if someone got the chance to have her in his party, and even the bothered to finish the game with her, without getting SO bored. Having her drain 4 levels per hit can reduce even Melissan to first level in, say; 10 hits. :eek:

20. Thor Gems: 10/31

It appears i've got a bit of downloading to do then! And i've still got Dial-up :bang:

Oh well, gotta find some help on that i guess.

So i download these:

Kelsey
    Ease of use
    Solaufein
    Item Upgrade
    Tashia

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.