1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which character gave you the best gaming experience?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by OzziS, Jun 30, 2003.

1. OzziS Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I am trying to find a character witch is fun to play with and is also kinda powerfull. This character will I try to take through the whole BG serie. For the moment I am cinsidering a Swashbuckler, but I don´t know a thing about how he is to play, the upps and downs. But I must confes that I rather like kits than just plain vanilla classes. Gives it a little more roleplaying spirit I thing.
    So tell me about your favorite class and why its so great.

[ June 30, 2003, 13:19: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You'll probably get very different opinions here, but i'll give you mine. Wizard. I really liked being a wizard instead of the usuall bang'em in the head with an axe or somesuch...

BTW welcome to the boards!! ;)

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Well Archer and shapeshifter gave me the most fun.
    If i had to choose between these two i odnt know which would i choose. Both have their advantages.

Archer: Doest even get hit in a normal fight so you dont have to worry about reloading becouse of main character's death. He's also the ultimate master of rangerd destruction... None is better. And at later levels he has the max number of attacks per round (5), so he disrupts any mage in casting. There are many great arrows as well... Of biting for example (30% *total* HP poison damage) which further augment your damage. Also you dont have to worry about missing one little bit. His THAC0 goes down VERY quickly.
    Of course he has his weakneses.... Its a trouble later on to hit enemy spellcaster as his arrows dont have enough +x bonus to penetrate their Mantle&co.
    The second weakness is naturaly his incapability with melee weapons. But you dish out the same amount of damage as a fighter with a twohanded sword with more attacks so this doesnt really matter. Penalized armor doesnt matter much too... isnt it more cool to stalk in the shadows and shoot a killer arrow then barging in in full plate +43 and unleash a flurry of arrows?

Shapeshifter: In unmodded BGII he is low-mid effective. With easy-of-use mod (shapeshifter rebalanced mini-mod) he is damn near invincible. His AC goes down to -20 and even if he gets hurt he regenarates damage in matter of seconds. I took Firkraag solo on insane difficulty without any buffs... He won uninjured. Naturaly he got hit couple of times but by the time the dragon delivered another blow the previous one was already sealed. He is a total powerhouse even on insane. So if you like a challange and/or intend to have a full party dont get Shapeshifter rebalanced mod... it makes the game too easy.

I didnt play with a blade but if i went again through i'd go with him. He's a very interesting char becouse of his diversity :) And he has spins.

Well i said what i had to said, now its your turn to decide which you like better. :grin:

Or just pick a character you think is cool and stick with it to the end... You'll be a god (literaly) in the end with anyone anyway. ;)

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The wizard-slayer is great, but not as great as in ToB.

Advantages:
    10% Culmulative spell failure
    1% Magic resistance/level

Use:
    10% Culmulative spell failure:
    This applies to all spellcasters. Wizards, sorcerers, bards, druids, paladins, rangers and clerics. It even makes works against the barbarian and the beserkers abilities to enrage and all the other special abilities that can only be accessed by the special menu bar or the spellcasting bar. It also works even though the enemy have a improved mantle and you have a measly long sword +2. Liches, dragons, vampires. All monsters fall under the curse of the wizard-slayers culmulative spell failure.

1% Magic resistance/level:
    This is good, even though that it gets even better in ToB but when you are on level 19 you have 19% magic resistance which can be really helpfull when it applyes to the character.

Disadvantes:
    May not use any magic items except for weapons and armor.

Use:
    May not use any magic items except for weapons and armor.
    So? You really don't need the ring of Gaxx or the bracers of archery. Just equip your character with these things. This is if you are ready to give almost all the powerfull items to yourself.

Helm: Helm of Balduran
    Armor: Ethier do Viconia's romance and take the last enemies armor or use the plate of Balduran.
    Shield: None or the shield of Balduran.
    Weapons: Here is many different things. Ethier Blackrazor or Lilacor with the Elven Court bow or the mana bow or Blackrazor or Crom Feyr with the shield of Balduran.
    Boots: Actually, the wizard-slayer CAN use the boots of speed. They isn't counted as magical.

Also, remember, he have all the goodies a vanilla fighter have except item limination. Grand mastery, all armors, heaps of HP, low THAC0 and things like that.

Conclusion: A very good fighter that is great against all enemies in the game.
    Mark: 9/10 - Why? It isn't a perfect kit after all.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    For me cavalier because it's the only one I play :D

Swashbucklers are very potent, my brother is very fond of them and I see why. -20 AC isn't that bad after all :D

Dual-classed characters are fun. For example a cleric with 7 (9 if CON 17 or more) or 13 fighter levels. Roleplaying-wise it's more realistic than some powermonger kensai-mage. Although highly dexterous kensai-thief seems a likely combination and it's one of the most powerful characters in game.

6. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Half Elven Cleric/Mage. Great fun to play, especially when you get cleric spells in sequencers and contingencies. Moderately powerful, but good as a protagonist.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The best gaming experience...

Sorcerer, naturally; what could be more fun than throwing a dozen of spells in matter of seconds or summoning a variety of monsters to aid you?

8. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Best experience for me is sorcerer, at high levels he so fun to play cause you can be creative and think of fun time stop combos.

9. Greystar Gems: 7/31

My favorite kit is the Blade, its very powerful if used correctly (I have him dual-wield Belm and Kundane, with Improve haste and Offensive Spin he can have 10 attack/round!!!). Plus, he can cast spell, too...

10. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

yes i want to wave for the bladebard, too. this can be very powerful and funny if used right. but don't compare a selfcreated blade with haer'dalis, he has ridiculous CON and poor profiencies. go for katana and longswords and use only spells to improve yourself and maybe some abjuration/defensebreaker spells. if this char would be able to lockpick and disarm instead of pickpocket -> monster.

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My first character was the one I liked the most.
    I played a Cavalier, maybe not the most powerful one, but he´s good enough. Although nowadays I like Illusionists the most because spellcasting is cool :D

The Swashbucklers is pretty okay and since there isn´t (in my mind) any good thief NPC´s it could be a wise desicion.

12. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Hm ... I prefer mostly fighter characters. I really enjoyed fighter (pure) in BG1 changed to kensai in BG2. Rangers and Paladins are nice too - their cleric spells help in low levels and are a nice backup for high level.
    I would recommend either Fighter -> Kensai, or Ranger -> Archer, or Paladin -> Inquisitor.

Reason ? Any of the above mentioned kits has abilities that constantly get better while improving. Even on the high levels you are still getting something.

13. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Kensai and archer eventually become nothing special because im pretty sure thaco development is capped at 0. This is why duals were created.

14. Rewisuk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You have just gotta use a spellcaster of some kind cause it is endless fun using new spells!

you could also try using an avenger cause they are fun to use and also quite powerful.

Swashbucklers are probably the best kind of theif and they are really powerful in high level.

I could make heaps of suggestions but i guess it is your choice.

Good Luck!!!

15. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I usually just use a plain old fighter. Even in Icewind Dale II. I just used a fighter as my leader charecter.

16. OzziS Gems: 2/31

All the time I heard bout this ”You-can-beat-the-game-with-all-the-classes”. That’s fair enough, but I want something more than just beat the game. I want to enjoy it.
    The reason I thought about Swashbuckler was the dual wielding skills. So I am expecting it to be one of my best fighters. Is this possible? Planning on taking with me Keldorn and Minsc.

The last time I played BG2 I came to the sailor Saemon Havarian (the one who took you to Brynlaw Island). He is a human Swashbuckler/Mage. Thought that sounded pretty cool, but I don’t know how it is to really play it. Was something about the name and the personality that appealed to me. Would have been cool to play something similar. What I was afraid of, was to loose all those cool bonuses that Swashbucklers get by time.

So my dilemma stands between Human Swashbuckler/Mage and Elf pure Swashbuckler. Witch one will kill the most and fastest and take the most beating of Human Swashbuckler/Mage and Elf Swashbuckler. Is dual wielding at all that cool and effective. I don´t want to play BG1 (cause of tomes upgrade), just to come to BG2 and realize that I have chosen the wrong class and that it sucks. So help me folks!!!
    Is the kensai better with dual wielding?

17. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

hold on there.... the first question was "most fun" and now you ask "better"...

better = fighter or mage

fun = bard

18. OzziS Gems: 2/31

Yes, but I don´t have fun when my character doesn´t take a hit. When he dies all the time or don´t deal damage I don´t have fun. But that doesn´t make me a powergamer. So, do you have answer to my question?

19. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I took a fighter through BG1 and turned him into a Kensai in BG2. I didn't dual-wield, but I started BG2 with 6 proficiency stars to distribute IIRC. That could already put him at grandmastery with one in dual-wield. It won't take long before you have your three stars in dual-wielding. I thought my kensai was a good balance; his AC was around 0 at best, but I ususally cast barkskin on him before battles. He takes hits all the time, but splatters foes with frighteningly speed. Works really well with another tank to soak up the hits, like Korgan, Minsc, or Keldorn. Kensai is a better warrior than Swashbuckler, but Swashbuckler will hit and get hit less than Kensai.

20. OzziS Gems: 2/31

Witch race did you use on your Kensai?
    But is the Kensai fun to play with, in comparrison to Swashbuckler?
    if you would start over again, what would you choose?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.