1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Started on Stephen King's "The Eyes of The Dragon". Feels a little 'young' but still not too bad.

2. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

About to start Sojourn.

3. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Just finished Ray Bradbury's From the Dust Returned - the weirdest thing I have ever read. Now started David Day's Tolkien's Rings - really good stuff.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished "The Coming" by Joe Haldeman. IMO a very good commentary on corruption and ignorance at all levels of government played out on a backdrop of aliens announcing in October their impending arrival on New Year's Day. Very interesting story, but the ending was a bit ambiguous.

Just started "Saturn" by Ben Bova.

5. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The first book in The Dark Tower series - The Gunslinger. It's kinda weird...

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Finished Sojourn already, have to revert back to Donald Duck comics it seems.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Finished Neuromancer, found that the writing got less confuzing nearer to the end.

Starting on Bored of the Rings.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Finished Shadow of the Avatar trilogy....a little simplistic, overdone and unrealistic (even for fantasy). While I typically enjoy Greenwood's sarcasm as presented through Elminster, this time it was just too much -- the entire dialogue of just about ALL the characters (particularly "The Rangers 3" :rolleyes: )was a series of quips, no matter what the situation. It got very tiring very fast and as an example of effective humor, failed miserably.

I've now started Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham. While I'm only about a quarter through the book, I'm quite impressed with her story, which is, essentially, a history of Evermeet, following the development of different elf clans in Faerun. She weaves a wondrous tale....her characters come alive and her descriptions are colorful and realistic. I've only read a few of Cunningham's books prior to this, but I've noticed with this book as with the others, she has a way of writing that is almost serene, a kind of quiet silky style where the words seem to flow and ebb, in a variety of different presentations that touch on ideas and themes, without whacking you over the head with them. She is subtle, leaving the pronounciation for the reader to figure out -- a very fine author, imo.

9. Observer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Doing night shift for three weeks straight so I'm re-reading discworld.

All of them. :D

10. Spellbound

Well, I just finished Evermeet and any words I use to describe it can't possibly convey the wholeness of this work. I feel as if I've been on a journey to such a complete and perfect world of Cunningham's creation, that when I closed the back cover of her book, I felt lost in this one. I've been wandering around here, feeling caught between two worlds....not really interested in this one...my mind still seeing unicorns dancing in dew covered glades and banks of blue roses shaped like crescent moons.

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I bought "Moving Pictures" by Terry Pratchett yesterday. It could be fun :) .

12. Erestor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I, Robot by Asimov.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Do comic books count? :p

'cause I've been spending the last two days reading the latest addition to my collection of Praedor comics.... (Praedor= A FInnish fantasy comic that has an RPG based on it) and been engrossed in it.

*sigh*

Nothing to read, really, with all my books being at the dorm. Two more days...

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Abondoned BotR in order to read Hidden Warrior. Very good, now just have to wait for the last one...

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Rachel Pollack's seventy eight degrees of wisdom.

16. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I started Cunningham's Tangled webs some time ago, although I have once again period, when I just don't have energy to read books.

17. Spellbound

Cunningham's Songs & Swords series. Elf Shadow was excellent. She's the queen of dialogue, without a doubt!

18. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Eh. Elaine Cunningham's writing might be nice, but I absolutely hate her elves. They need to be fed in bite sized chunks to a group of orcs at a dinner table.

As for me? Terry Pratchett's "Monstrous Regiment".

:D :D

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... I've read many from Wilbur Smith recently, but I'm back to fantasy now, reading "The Legacy" and the rest of the series.

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Bah, Shura, I thought you'd like Elaith Craulnober... I at least adore him. *sigh*

I spent last night readin a book by something-or-other Massey, but the tile escapes my mind... it was her fourth Rei Shimurra book, anywayu. I bought it 'cause it had a manga pic in the cober and the premise of extrme manga fans in Japan seemed promising.

Bah. Predictable and not that enlightened.

Then again, I read a nice double feature by Jack Higgins, the one with Pay the Devil and... um, having sudden memory loss.... anyway, it was the usual Higgins, not that stellar but still very good.

And I admit, I have takena a liking to "Dillon Jr", Billy Salter. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.