1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Kushiel's Justice - Jacqueline Carey

Pretty good. A significant improvement on the previous book.

2. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Demons by (my favorite author) Fyodor Dostoevsky.

also, a technical biography of Fischer Black and the influence of his Black-Scholes Theorem, among other things.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Still halfway through "Reaper's Gale" by Steven Erikson. How does he write such huge books so brilliantly and so quickly?

Memo to George R. R. Martin: write faster! If Erikson can do it, so can you.

4. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Lords of the North - Bernard Cornwell. Another excellent book in an excellent series.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I am presently reading "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey as well as ATTEMPTING to plow my way through "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. That is taking some mental discipline, let me tell you.

Also just got hooked on Jack Whyte -- presently waiting or the library to get me a copy of "The Singing Sword." -- don't want to read his later stuff until I get the first stuff read.

6. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles are very good. It's an interesting tale and very different from your standard Arthurian legend. I really enjoyed reading them.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Thud! - Terry Pratchett

Where's my daddy?
    Is that my daddy?
    It goes, "Bugerit Millennium hand and shrimp!"
    He is Foul Olde Ron!
    That's not my daddy!

Now I want to read Where's My Cow? :lol:

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Moved on to Mad Ship, the second of Hobb's 'Liveship Traders' series... the first was a great book (although, not quite as good as any of the Farseer trilogy), hopefully this will be just as good or better.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    That's good to know, Saber. I've looked at that series many times but never picked up any of the books. I enjoyed the Farseer series and often wondered if this series was worth reading.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just finished House of Chains by Steven Erikson. Great stuff. So many players and so many places without losing the thread or losing pace; this series is easily one of the best I've read so far.

Will be continueing the series with Midnight Tides later on, but first I'll read Neal Asher's Polity Agent. I love the feel of the world he creates, especially the AIs with attitudes.

I've also been looking at some of Terry Pratchet's Discworld novels, but the sheer amount of them has left me wondering which ones I should pick up first. I highly suspect that not all of them will be of the same level, so I'd like some advice of which one to start with.

11. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    The only Pratchett novel I've read was "Going Postal," and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_pratchett.php

They're listed in reading order. True Pratchett fans will read all of them, of course. But if you start at the 6th book or later and go back to the first ones afterwards, you'll notice that Pratchett's early style was not nearly as refined. Let alone if you start any of his latest books and then go back to the early ones...

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pratchett best work is his "middle" work in my opinion. The first ones are a bit too rough and rugged and the latest are a tad too dramatic focused more on story and drama than humour (still funny and the drama aint bad but it isnt the laugh out loud of the books he wrote in the "middle").

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Finished Elantris, I'm on The Messenger by Daniel Silva now. I'm a big fan of his Gabriel Allon series.

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

On a tangent from the current discussion here, I'm reading The Science of Discworld, co-written by That Man Pratchett, and scientists Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen.

The chapters alternate between a DW story involving itself with the University Faculty, and serious 'essay-lets' about the history of science, the universe and our world and how it (apparently, according to current evidence, theory the like) came to be the way it is now.

It gets into some really deep stuff, but its written in a manner that allows the open-minded layman to 'get in on the ground floor' - maybe influence of Mr. P on the two science-geeks? ;)

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Man, I really get hooked on Silva's Allon stuff. Slept early in the morning yesterday because I couldn't stop til I finished the whole damn book :/

started To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Ooooo, how'd you like it? I love that book.

Moved on to Ship of Destiny... this series is getting wicked good.

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I just read 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' and I may read '...Order of the Phoenix' now, lol.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Threshold - Caitlin R. Kiernan

Picked it up because it had a blurb from Neil Gaiman. So far so good. It's amusing to me that the cover is typical 'paranormal romance' fare, but the content is anything but.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

am about to finish To Reign in Hell and have just started Fury by Salman Rushdie because a friend said that Solly reminds him of me :/

Elantris was pretty good as you said Saber. I thought Hrathen was an awesome character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.