1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #4

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No books in a while for me, I'm still trying to catch up on all my other "required" reading...

2. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm reading "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" and "The Keys To The Kingdom" series.

3. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I suppose I should put in a plug for the Golden Age classic "The Weapon Shops of Isher" by A.E. van Vogt. My daughter was so knocked over by it that she tried to talk her high school English teacher into assigning it for the whole class. That didn't fly, needless to say. Still, it's more fun than "Beowulf".

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

aside from tons of required reading, I'm reading Confess, Fletch by Gregory Macdonald.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Hard Way Up - the last couple stories were a bit stupid. I have started on book four - Spartan Planet.

So far it is a big step up from the first three but given his track record on the first three books I am sure that Chandler will have found some really lame and stupid way to end the book.

6. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett. His books are hilarious.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, this "Magician" is a bit weak so far. How on earth did it get into the Top 100 books of all time?

8. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    The Butcher Boy by McCabe...funny at times, but mostly tragic.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Magician" is a great book. That trilogy by Feist is one of my favorites.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

BTA, I hope it gets better then. I'm 200 pages in and yet to encounter anything other than a bunch of one-dimensional characters doing dull things (like travelling through a dangerous ancient dwarven mine tunnel because the mountain pass is snowed in - wonder where that idea came from?)

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: You remind me of this guy in highschool. I loaned him my "Riddlemaster" trilogy and told him they were good. True, the story started slowly, but ended up pretty good. Well, every day when I saw him he'd smile and say "Boooriiinng", and I'd tell him "Just wait, you'll see" and in the end he agreed with me :)

Hopefully this will turn out the same. It has been many years since I've read "Magician", but I do remember it fondly :)

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree with BTA: Feist's "Magician" is a great trilogy. But it's been 15 years since I've read them also. I not sure how they would hold up on a first reading today.

13. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just finished Garth Nix 'Abhorsen' series. Good stuff.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

JSBB: You seem to read an amazing amount of mediocre crap. Maybe you should try reviews or something first :p

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Aikanaro - with the volume of books that I read it is inevitable that I will get a fair amount of crap - especially when I try new authors. Also, when it comes to books (and most other things actually) my mediocre/decent/good/excellent scale tends to be skewed higher than most people's. It is a very rare book indeed that would earn an excellent on my scale.

I have finished book four (Spartan Planet) - for once Chandler's ending wasn't bad. Still, the same general idea was done a lot better by Lois McMaster Bujold in Ethan of Athos. I have started on book 5 - The Inheritors. So far it has fairly dull. I suppose that book 4's males only planet of homosexuals and book 5's matriarchal nudist society may have been controversial enough to support a book with relatively little plot back in the 70s but frankly I am not so easily impressed.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Chugging away at Sue Grafton's alphabet series. I'm halfway through 'C is for Corpse' and next up is 'E is for Evidence'.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ kuemper - What happened to D?

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@JSBB - D is in Deerlake :lol: Really, it's in Deerlake at that library and I can't be bothered requesting it.

19. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

The Illearth War - Stephen Donaldson

20. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The Blue Dress -Libby Hawthorne (I think)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.