1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am currently reading Bradbury Stories, which is a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, naturally.

Very interesting to see the birth of some of his more famous ideas, and what was important to him (such as a love of Laurel and Hardy).

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Rereading LotR once again as part of my high fantasy binge - will probably go onto cyberpunk/dystopic stuff after this.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Radicalism of the American Revolution - Gordon S. Wood.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Dresden: Tuesday, February 13, 1945 - Frederick Taylor

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The Hand of Oberon, the 4th book in Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber

6. Newfie Banned

"Revenge of the Sith". This is going to make a great movie, a lot darker and far more interesting than the first two. Apparently, there are a lot more individual light saber battles between Anakin and Obi Wan and Sith lords. So no more swing and clatter of falling robots. There is also going to be a great starfighter battle at the start. Anakin 's gradual slip into evil by the manipulation of Sith Lords is clever. It got me salivating. I must read on.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Harlequin's Dance (first book of the Orokon) by Tom Arden. It was the only 'first book in a series' that I could find in the library on the weekend. Has anyone else read this?

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Wow, some books in the chronicles of Amber are MUCH shorter than the others. Started reading "The Hand of Oberon" and ended up finishing both that AND "The Courts of Chaos" last night. Going to start with "Trumps of Doom" later.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Michael Crichton - State of Fear
    I am tempted to write a review so I can thrash the damn book. The guy should stick to dinosaurs and wraiths. :bang:

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

wraiths? where did he write about them? in Sphere?

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

i finished Enchanter over the week-end - I was stunned when I found that there was actually an unexpected plot twist at the end of the book. Given that everything in the series up to that point had been so predictably cliche, not to mention telegraphed well in advance, I was actually quite amused by the twist. However, I certainly wouldn't say that it was worth slogging through two books for.

I read Bloodlist by P.N. Elrod today. It was o.k. so I guess that breaks my string of bad books. It is light reading and it is short enough that it is debatable as to whether it ought to be considered a short story instead of a novel. It is a vampire-detective type story. The vampire elements were actually surprisingly enjoyable although the detective elements were pretty weak.

12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune 2)

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished Trumps of Doom and I gotta say, it's one of the better books in the Amber saga. Am now about to start Blood of Amber, hope it's going to be as good.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Today I read Lifeblood and I started on Bloodcircle - books two and three in the vampire Files series by Elrod. The quality and tone are pretty consistent with book one. While they are certainly not great books, I have found them to be quick and fun light reading.

15. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just finished Wizard's Eleven by Sheri S. Tepper, the third book in The True Game series, it's some kind of fantasy/sci-fi thing. In the first book the magic system and everything seemed very different from anything I'd read before, but then it kinda mellowed out when you got to know more. The beasts and monsters were very weak, but the story was ok, I'll have to see if I can find the six remaining books. ;)

16. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler, second time ive read through this book, Cussler does actually create a convincing story about what really happened during The Odyssey, but i did find the story a little bit predictable at parts, and the Dirk Pitt Jnr and Summer Pitt parts of the story were not as exciting as the Dirk and Al Giordino parts.

17. Newfie Banned

Reading the first of the Erevis Cale books "Twilight Falling". Hey, that's not bad for a WOtC book.

18. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Da Vinci Code... I've just begin it tough... I hope it'll be as good as everybody seems to say

19. booger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bulfinches Mythology and The Lord of the Rings. I think I'm going to switch to the Lord of the Rings until I'm done and then read Bulfinches. It's too distracting to read two books at once.

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *blinkblink* Okay, there is a Dirk Pitt junior? I need to find that book, baaaad...

*is re-reading The ermaids Singing by ValMcDermid*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.