1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by MrSafin, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MrSafin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, i just bought many of my old favourites infinity engine games: the whole baldur's gate I and II saga, Icewind Dale I and II and Planescape: Torment, all from Amazon.

I'm using Windows XP, and i'm not aware if the games will really function alright, but this is not my question: what's the most modern way to play these games? I heard there is a thing called something like Tutu, but couldn't really understand what it was!

Is there some mod that revisits the games in a more modern fashion? Or that deal with bug fixes?

Thanks

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hello :)

TuTu is a mod that imports all the BG game into BG2. So you open up BG2, start up a new game and you get to play BG1 with the new engine, all the new classes, the new rules, the new interface and journal.

There are also lots of other mods that add NPCs to join your party, quests, expanding on content already in the game, things like that, some just add new weapons and items that can be interesting.

For playing the games I reccomend you patch with the official patches after installing and before starting a game, some other people will reccomend unofficial patches - as I haven't used these or needed them I can't really comment. Have a play through to learn what is in the game and what you might like to try new - then after you've played look more into what mods you might like :)

Have fun coming back to the series!

3. MrSafin Gems: 1/31

Ok thanks! I'll first try Vanilla BG 1 without the TuTu, just to remember the ol' times :)

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Remember, always install the official patch first, before any other mods. TuTu is probably what you are looking for in terms of a modern way to play the games. There are also resolution patches available for the BG series and also PS:T (not sure about IWD, though), if you are interested. Some games have genuine bug fixing patches (PS:T and IWD2 have them, not sure about IWD)

There are a *lot* of mods available for BG2 - many are available here on SP, but hop over to Spellhold Studios, the Gibberlings Three, or Pocket Plane Group to get more. Some are really good, others are less so.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You should get Easy Tutu, not regular Tutu. There is a review on the boards by the way.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For years I only played the Vanilla versions of all Infinity Engine games. Then I found SP! What a find! After some questions on these boards, I found Tutu was the way to go. Then I tried Easy tutu. Even better. There are so many mods that you probably should research them 1st. There are many lists of what mods to install on this site and the other sites mentioned by Deathmage, depending on the posters taste. But all in all, most mods are fun, even if played only once. Try out as many as you can, it's worth it.

7. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

I can give another vote of confidence for EasyTutu; fun to play BG1 with the BG2 engine, prettier! And better suited for large monitors too, if that is your fancy. (Even if you don't like the BG2 UI, there is a mod to set the UI to the default BG1 style, with all the shiny fancies of BG2.)

I would also recommend the BG1NPC pack (for EasyTutu), it adds lots of nice banter. I personally love the banter, but I know some people who got annoyed by it. If romances are your thing, the NPC pack adds some nicely done romances to the mix too, though I've only tried the Dynaheir romance (I replaced her default portrait because she looked like someone who would mug me in a dark alley and then burn me from the inside ;o; ), it was tactful and not cheesy or awful like some fan writing.

8. MrSafin Gems: 1/31

Ok, so easy TuTu will be the way after playing vanilla!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.