1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where do I sleep?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition' started by gibberishh, Aug 2, 2022.

1. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'm finally going to ask a question I've been too embarrassed to ask before because I feel I should know the answer already.

What do all the different kinds of inn rooms in D&D games do for a player? Peasant, Merchant, Noble, Royal... what are the game mechanics of resting in each one of them? Does it affect how much the party heals? Isn't healing purely a function of which memorized healing spells are cast upon rest? I guess that can't be true for warrior-only parties but I've never played without at least one healer.

And how much different is it (game mechanics) to resting outdoors (when the game allows, and apart from the obvious risk of being interrupted)?

My primary interests are IWDEE, IWD2, NWN, BG1EE and BG2EE. If there are differences across these games, I'd love to be enlightened on details please.

Thanks!

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As far as I remember those different rooms are mostly for flavour - you feel like a lavish noble if you have spent the gold to sleep in the parfumed heavens of a royale lodging. Or you could lie in a common room, sharing with all the other party members and feel like a true Paladin, sworn to poverty who would not spend a copper for himself but tithes away all but 10% of his share.

Game mechanically in most of those games the party does heal - a bit - more in the more expensive rooms.
    And as in some of those games you can not rest safely everywhere but only in some specific safe areas (No, you may not loiter on the market square...) using the inn makes some sense when you come to town anyway to sell off the plunder that fills the parties bags.

Taluntain likes this.
  3. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Great, thanks again. A couple of corrections, 1 to my question, 1 to your reply:
    In NWN you obviously rest anywhere so I shouldn't have included that in the list. It just rolls off the fingers when typing D&D game names.
    I don't believe Paladins are sworn to poverty. They are sworn to honour and justice. They refuse rewards for the honour of bringing justice. If anything, monks are more inclined to poverty, wanting to live an austere and hermit-like life.

4. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The room quality affects healing amount if you have ‘rest until healed’ turned off. In that case characters heal between 1 - 4 hp per rest based on the quality of the room.

gibberishh likes this.
  5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    To answer the question about sleeping outdoors, in an Inn you have no chance of being interrupted, but otherwise you get the same benefits from the "peasant" accommodations as you do sleeping outdoors.
    The other rooms will heal you a bit more HP, I think in one of the games you get more than 4hp for resting in the royal rooms, but still less than 10.
    I just can't recall if it was BG1, BG2, IWD1, PST, or IWD2 that had better healing in better rooms, although they all will give you slightly better healing in the better rooms. However, it just isn't worth the price as opposed to casting Cure spells, then having your Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger memorize nothing but Cure spells, resting in the peasant room, casting all those cures, then re-memorizing their spell book and resting in the peasant room again. For 3gp and 24 hours you are fully healed.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    As Tarrasque said, depending on the room, you get 1-4 hp restored. To my knowledge, this is a hardcoded amount in all IE games. Resting outside is identical to resting in a peasant room, with the exception of the chance of being interrupted by enemies.

Here's an article on the topic (though it doesn't contain much more data): https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Rest

In 3E D&D, characters should recover 1 hp/level when they rest. I'm not sure if IWD2 follows that rule or what effect the inn rooms have.

In NwN, resting works a fair bit differently: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Rest

gibberishh likes this.
  7. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    Well, the 2E version of Paladin had:
    "A Paladin never retains wealth: He may keep only enough treasure to support himself in a modest manner, pay his henchmen, men-at-arms, and servitors a reasonable rate, and to construct or maintain a small castle or keep (funds can be set aside for this purpose). All excess must be donated to the church or another worthy cause. This money can never be given to another player or NPC controlled by a player."

In other words a true Paladin is more and is held to a higher standard than a mere knight.

8. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Didn't know this. Yet, it appears that s/he may live a life of reasonable comfort. In fact, castle or keep indicates significantly more comfort than most people you would encounter in the realms. Therefore, not even remotely approaching 'poverty'. Even within the 2E description provided, I would argue that 'support in a modest manner' and 'maintain a castle or keep' -- though not diametrically opposite -- are not exactly complementary. A venn diagram of the two concepts wouldn't be a perfect circle though there would be overlapping regions.

If I am not mistaken, monks are much more inclined to austerity for austerity's sake.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The castle or keep could be for the protection of all the civilians in the area, rather than for the paladin to live in luxury.
    If he's the town's protector, the castle would be more of a fortress than a palace.
    Medieval castles were often drafty fortresses rather than luxurious palaces.
    Yes, they were expensive, but as the town's protector, putting all the wealth the paladin earns into creating and maintaining a fortress to protect all his charges would be in line with the intended ethos.

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  10. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    I dislike the forum software now... I read Slicks respons, wanted to simply "like" it, just like I did a few times before - and what happens? That forum software secondguesses my intentions and asks me if I REALLY want to like his post...
    Being able to correct a possible error in clicking is sufficient. Being stopped before even liking feels like machines taking over the forum...

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That happens with Xenforo forums if JavaScript is turned off or blocked with NoScript (or similar like YesScript) or Adblock (or similar like uBlock).
    If JavaScript is on there is no confirmation.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    ConjurerDragon likes this.
  12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, that is definitely not normal XenForo behaviour.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Actually, before they switched to WebEx extensions, I used to have an extension called "QuickJava" that could toggle JavaScript on and off with a button, and the behavior described is normal on XenForo when JavaScript is turned off.
    I tested with YesScript (like a stripped-down version of NoScript but defaults to unblocked until you tell it to block a specific site, where as NoScript defaults to blocked until you unblock) and that is exactly what happens when JavaScript is blocked on Sorcerers' Place, Spacebattles, Sufficient Velocity, and Questionable Questing.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "Normal" is considered with JS enabled. Disabling JS will interfere with various forum and website functionality and there's really no reason to do it except to make your user experience here worse. So even if you disable JS elsewhere for some reason, I'd recommended whitelisting SP.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The different rooms was a more meaningful mechanic during the earliest versions of BG1, where you actually had to use your available Cure Light Wounds and Lay on Hands and such before resting in order to have a fully revived rest. The point of resting was simply to recoup those spells.

Putting down more money for the more expensive rooms could accelerate the heal and rest process since the more expensive rooms also added bonuses to hit points recovered.

The meaningfulness of that mechanic definitely ended when you had your rest button in BG2.

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Back when I could use XP to browse the web (are there any web browsers for XP on a Pentium III that can handle the modern web?) my 1ghz system with 512mb of RAM would be noticeably slowed down by the annual Christmas Lights on this site. I would use YesScript to turn off JavaScript. Granted that was before the switch to Xenforo, but I've noticed that if I have too many tabs open to either Sufficient Velocity or Spacebattles on my 12 year old Gateway 4200Dx with a 2.25ghz quad core and 6gb of RAM the browser gets noticeably slowed down unless you turn off JavaScript.

17. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    First, thanks all for the explanations from all contributors. I understand inn resting better now.
    Second, as @Taluntain has been at pains to point out, if one intentionally modifies their browsing environment (sandbox), one must expect consequences. With @SlickRCBD's experiments, we can strongly assume that this 'annoying' behavior is a manifestation of such an intentionally modified sandbox.
    Now @ConjurerDragon may choose to (if the option is available) whitelist this forum or not (hopefully with the assurance that the site isn't going to nuke'em). Either way, the reason for their troubles is clear, as is the remedial option.
    Personally, this forum is awesome, most people here are knowledgeable and helpful, and the only irritant for me is the stupid 'alerts' that indicate whether I have unseen media, chats, etc. on the top navigation bar. Really, why would I want to see media from a random game I am most likely completely disinterested in? There is close to a 100-in-1 chance that someone will post screenshots from a game that I like! [end rant coz I really like this site]

It just so happens that this is one of the few remaining sites that does not force you on to Chrome or MS Edge. You can still use the classic Internet Explorer to properly converse with this forum. Yet another reason I love it. I absolutely hate Chrome and Edge. Just a mild dislike for Firefox.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I never get any notifications for new media, so I would assume that's something you can turn off.

19. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Woohoo. Thanks. Found it in Preferences. Now I only have a red number next to Chat. Which is even more useless but that leaves me with only one single gripe about this forum. And nothing is ever perfect so one gripe is bloody awesome. :)

20. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yeah, that's the number of chat participants I think, and since I'm almost always there, you'll probably have a permanent (1) there. :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.