1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where did the Otyugh come from?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Another one of my annoying questions about the de'Arnise Hold. Where the hell did the Otyugh in between the gate and the castle come from? The trolls and Yaun-ti came in through the "cellars" as Nalia insists the are called now? Are you going to try and tell me it came with them? Lol.
    I'm sure that Nalia doesn't have one for a pet :p
    Seriously though, anyone have an idea?

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You can always explain it with a yuan-ti priest having summoned it there.

Seriously though, an othyugh weighs around 500 lbs, and a yuan-ti up to 300, so they're not that much bigger - considering that umber hulks are around 800 lbs and made their way into the keep dungeons, anything is possible. :p

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why not? Otyughs are not mindless creatures; They often make deals or uneasy partnerships with other creatures.

If you mean physically: Otyughs are aberrations, I'm sure they can squeeze through narrow spots.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I just can't see the Otyugh going up the stairs from the "cellars". and making it's way through the Keep down the stairs and through the front door. Lol.
    The Yaun-ti summoning it might work I suppose but it should have eaten the dogs regardless of how it got there. I guess the Yuan-ti told it not to. Lol

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Otyughs walk on legs, and they're not particularly short or stubby, so they shouldn't have any trouble ascending or descending stairs.

Dogs are barely a snack for an otyugh. They have neither much meat on them nor a whole lot of body waste. Maybe it just decided they weren't worth chasing around.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The local garbage disposal wizard hired it to eliminate the waste in the hold for a fee. Otyughs can speak common...
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/otyugh.htm

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If it can fit through narrow spaces, that would explain how one of them got in chateau Irenicus.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The waste generally is the fee as far as otyughs are concerned. :D

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I'm not saying they CAN'T go up and down stairs, I just don't see it happening.
    Being able to speak common is pretty cool though :)
    I'm going to have to go with the summoning option. That explains how the one there got there and also the one in Jon's dungeon. (Forgot about that one).

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't see what your problem with otyughs and stairs is. A set of stairs wouldn't bother them in the least.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "A typical otyugh has a body 8 feet in diameter [...]"

Just how wide are those stairs, exactly? And doors, too.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It's a blubbery, tentacly, scaly thingamabob though, so I'm sure it can squeeze through a door.

Or, you know, burst through.

13. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Hell, for all we know one of the yuan-ti polymorphed it into a squirrel, took it with him to the roof in it's pockets and turned it back to normal :p

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Finally, a plausible explanation! :lol:

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Except . . . I do not believe that Yuan Ti have POCKETS!!!!

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Pureblood yuan-ti (i.e. the ones most likely to cast spells) are more or less humanoid and wear clothing.

17. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I don't have a problem with stairs except I find it hilarious when I try to picture the thing squeezing up them/down them. :p

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    [​IMG]

ConjurerDragon, Taluntain and dmc like this.
  19. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    LMAO!!!

---------- Added 0 hours, 34 minutes and 41 seconds later... ----------

They should have programed in some dialog with the poor Otyugh. That would have been sweet. Especially for the one in Irenicus's starting dungeon. Kinda like that poor creature (Rielev) he "forgot" and left to die in the container :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  20. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    except for the fact that the otyugh is probably content being left to it's own devices - as long as there is refuse for it to hoard and eat and a place to make it's lair (which is the central chamber you find it in i guess)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.