1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where can I try to download Firefox?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Aldazar, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I'm having a few problems with my Internet type stuff at the moment - for example:
    * I can't delete email from my Yahoo account but I can delete from my hotmail account
    * I go to Youtube but can't view the videos, it has a link to download "the latest flash player" so I click on the link but when I try to download said flash player nothing happens
    * I can't do very much at all on OkCupid (I thoroughly enjoy many of the user tests there and it's the only way for now that I can contact a couple of friends easily)
    * I can't even get the pop-up for smilies here on BoM

Now, I just got off the phone with my service's Tech Support and they said that it sounds like I have "a corrupted installation but because the OS is Windows XP it can't be re-installed, try downloading Firefox". I have tried for about 30 minuts now to find somewhere that I can download it from, yes even going to Mozilla.com and clicking on just about everything I can see in an attempt to download it, but nothing I can find will let me.

Now I'm probably just either blind or stupid (or both) but wtf am I doing wrong? Help please??

Edit - the reason the Tech Support guy said it was a corrupted installation was because in "About Internet Explorer" under the Help tab, it had nothing at all under "Version", "Cipher Strength" or "Product ID"

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Try:

http://www.getfirefox.com

It should redirect you to a Mozilla site, and then click on the big "Get Firefox" button.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

That's exactly where I went first, and for the life of me I can't see any big "get Firefox" button, does this mean I have to actually PAY someone to come and fix this rubbish?

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

That one I can see the "downloadnow - free" link, quick question first though, I've managed to find somewhere that'll let me download "Firefox 3 Beta 1" which is better? Or actually, which is more reliable?

6. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I'd suggest you stick to FireFox 2.0.11 for now.. beta versions are usually buggy and released to the general public so they can help find out what's wrong with them.

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Badly buggy? Like stay well away from?

8. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

To be honest, I don't know, cause I haven't tried it out myself, nor do I keep myself updated with all the latest bugs of FireFox, etc.

I personally use 2.0.11 on Windows XP and OS X and don't have any issues at all.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It's meant to be pretty stable *for a beta*, but for the casual user I'd stick with v2 for the moment. There's meant to be a quite a bit of incompatibility with extensions at the moment.
    The beta is more for the altruistic people who want to help improve a product by putting up with crashing, things screwing up and filling out bug-report forms.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Thanks, I'll give the above link a shot then...fingers crossed all goes well

Edit - quick possibly-related question, I have installed Yahoo IM, I can send messages and they are received but I can't for the life of me see any messages that are sent to me and I've tried everything I can think of in IM to see what I'm being sent, could this be related to the "corrupt installation" and would I likely need to re-install once I have Firefox?

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    For a beta v3 is quite stable actually. I've been using it at work and have had no problem at all with it. I use very few extensions though, and v3's beta apparently causes problems with some extensions (or so I've heard)

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Firefox rules. I know this comment doesn't help your problem though......

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Firefox is overrated.

Opera is the way to go. In my case, I tried it as an alternative because my version of Linux contained an old version of Firefox, and with Opera, it was love at first sight.

http://www.opera.com

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Well, I somehow managed to end up with both Firefox AND the Beta, working fantastically at the moment, but I've checked out Opera from that link and not really knowing very much at all it just read to me like the same spiel I got about Firefox when I went looking for that, so what's the difference?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's just another browser, only much less popular than IE or FF. Very popular with hard-core geeks though. :D

Personally, I hated some of its interface issues (couldn't replicate the FF behaviour I grew used to), so I ditched it in a day.

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Opera handles pretty much everything regarding to web browsing - built-in download manager (which supports BitTorrent), built-in email client, RSS feeds reader, contact manager, and IIRC, it even handles IRC chatting.

Opera is versatile and powerful. I've grown used and fond of it, and I'd never switch back to FF.

It's your call, though - but you've also heard from the other side.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Okay, just to see what would happen, I went ahead and downloaded Yahoo IM - using Firefox as my browser - but still the same thing, I can send IMs and they are received as normal, I see a message at the bottom saying "such-and-such is typing a message", I get the alert "last message received at XXXX time" but see no message in my conversation screen...WTF?

Ideas anyone?

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Can you take some screenshots?

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Dumb-sounding question perhaps, but how would I do that?

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    1) Press the PRINT SCREEN button to copy the screen picture to the Windows Clipboard. Or press ALT+PRINT SCREEN to copy only the active program to the clipboard.

2) Open Paint: Start -> Run, enter "Mspaint" and click OK.

3) Press CTRL+V to paste the picture into Paint.

4) Save the picture as a .JPG or .GIF file. (Otherwise it will be saved as a .BMP file which can take up a few megabytes).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.