1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where are the Dragons, part two

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Nakia, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hokay, I think we have the geography of the world roughed out and one race established in the bleak cold frozen southern region. Boreanland shall we call it at least for the moment.

On the eastern side of the continent, in the temperate region live the more human type folks. A loosely knit confederation of feudal states ruled, in theory at least, by a king. Intermittent feuds between various barons break out from time to time but on the whole the area is fairly peaceful/ Raids in the south from the Boreans and we will get to the swamps in a bit. Bandits, of course, can't have a game without bandits to fight. A few monsters wandering down from the mountains. In the eastern islands abide pirates making ocean exploration and travel a bit hazardous but something else for our hero/heroine to do. Farmlands, cities, ports, fishing, industry. Oh yes, let us not forget gods/goddesses, temples, priest, monks, thieves...must have thieves. What would a wee halfling rogue do in a world without thieves. .. hmm, wonder if I can come up with a halfling type race that isn't a blatant copy of Hobbits.

Merchants, traders would play an important role in my world. It is their enterprise that ties the whole continent together As our game opens merchants are the true rulers of Jarbal

The major god is Cameron from whom the world gets its name.

Moving on to the northern swampy jungle we have an aquatic people, They need fleshing out as I didn't want to just copy the Argonians of TES. A humanoid folk who can live in both water and on land but would find the dry lands of the west side inhospitable. Aquatic monsters would have evolved here also. Oh yes, sea monsters, giant squids and octopus type. Plenty of room here to develop strange new creatures. Not all animals would be vicious prey seeking things. Prey seekers need prey to seek, yes?

The temperate zone has its forests and woodlands filled with game especially as you approach the mountains. Pearl diving, shall we have a pearl diving industry; white, black, rose, blue what ever the hear desires. This is fantasy and the only limit is our imagination and some common sense. This is after all an earth type world and gravity does exist. Science does have its place. Magic is just another name for a little understood natural force. Only the gods are supernatural and even they have their limits. :).

A little more detail on the eastern temperate region. Orchards, I'll stick to the earth fruits and vegetables but remember this isn't earth and magic affects everything on Cameron. Apples, pears, cherries (I do love cherries) peaches. Orchards laden with fruit but also wild fruit trees scattered throughout the land and up into the mountains. Berries both domesticated and wild. Rich, fertile farmland, cattle of different types. Jarbal is medieval, no steam engines yet. Horses, mules, oxen, donkeys and species native only to Cameron are the means of transport This fantasy land not mundania so we can have a 'horse' of a different color easily. Purple, do I hear?. Of course, one purple horse coming up or was that a grey-green donkey? You want one that flies, please let us not get carried away. This is to be a game world and we must have balance here. Birds of many kinds of course Rats? What you want rats? Why? Haven't we had enough rats? You want rats go play TES. I prefer something more like saber toothed tigers which will give our heroes some real work-out. Wild boars I don't mind if you give them some real power. Ugly, vicious beast running both alone and with a harem. Wolves? Please let us give wolves a rest. Lupine type creatures sure but be a bit inventive.

Rovers flow from the mountains winding their way to the coast. Spectacular waterfalls can be found in the mountains then the slowing of the rushing waters as they reach the hills and then flat lands. Grasses and flowers rich in many varied hues and the insects necessary to the propagation.

Editors note: You know this blog, weblog things is rather fun to do I can just sit back and let my mind road a bit. Sure it gets rambly but maybe that is the lure of the blog. See I managed to use the word without cringing. Time now to move on to the western side of the continent. Oh I haven't forgotten those Himalayan Mountains in the center. I have something specially, in mind for them.

(Continued in part three)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.