1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When to go to Watcher's Keep?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If I go to the Keep in SoU would that ruin the game? Im worried that I will be too powerful and there will be no challenge at all left. Or does it somehow scale as with golems and undead(perhaps as with others as well, though I havent noticed?)

And wont ToB be easy as well if I already get several epic in SoA?

2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Well that depends. If it is the first time you finish SoU, it can be nice with extra power.

But frankly, I find that going to Watcher's Keep so early, will make you so overpowered that it is not fun.

3. Aegor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well providing you can clear the whole Watcher's Keep earlier it will be a significant XP and item boost for you, making the rest of SoA a piece of cake.

Of course, if your party is at lower levels it could be an interesting challenge (killing a Demon-lord just after leaving Irenicus' dungeon ;) ) but I always do it in ToB since it doesn't feel much SoA-ish to me.

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I do level one as there some nice items (ammo belt, firetooth etc) when I've usually done Nalia's keep and the trademeet quests. The other levels I leave until ToB.

5. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

On the other hand, ToB sucks, and you dont get really good items until the very end. so I dont really see a problem with doing it in late SoA, but yes it does change the balance.

6. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i do the red and shadow dragons in SOA then begin WK, do a few levels pick up some good items the ndo some more SOA stuff, the nif im felling up to it see if i cant get to at least the 3 seals in WK.

i usually get beaten up by the snake lady.

mostly ill have finished all of WK while still in SOA, leaving just the main part of TOB for when i get to it. and prehaps i shouldnt, esp if i want to try and romance NPCs in TOB.

if you take WK out of TOB there is hardly anything left to do. it doesnt take that long to fight all the bhaalspawns and do all 5 challenges.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I do the first couple of levels in SoA and then the rest in ToB.

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It feels wrong to do it a little at a time, and since it would require a lot of reloads early in SoA, I wait for ToB. Usually I do it right after I can get out of Sarudush, just before killing Yaga Shura.

9. MagnusSK23 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It really depends on your party. If you have a magic-heavy party, it will be hard as on level 3 of watcher's keep, you can't sleep. In ToB, you can Pocket Plane out and sleep, making it a LOT easier.

10. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've never had real problems sleeping on any level of Watcher's Keep. Granted sometimes it's a matter of picking where I sleep but that's true in any part of the game.

11. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

@ MAgnusSK23

pretty sure you can sleep on level 3, ive done it before.

in the big rooms that have 4 doors. like the tiefling room and the starting room.

[ April 19, 2007, 21:38: Message edited by: Elfen Lied ]

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

1st level as early as possible to grab the unlimited ammo items, then leave the rest until ToB.

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

After you kill the demons and/or the devils you should be able to sleep in those rooms just fine as well.

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I haven't had a problem sleeping there either.

I generally leave the Keep till just before Yaga-Shura as it somehow doesn't seem right doing it in SoA. From what I have read though, just doing the first level isn't too risky and will yield much in the way of magic items.

Yea, if you go too far, SoA will then be much too easy for you. Of course, if all you are worried about is HLA's too soon, then bear in mind that it is possible to get a few before leaving the Underdark, far before ToB!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.