1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your fav RPG that no one else has played?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Neriana, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Mine are, in order: Valkyrie Profile, Wizards and Warriors, and the Persona series. Valkyrie Profile is totally original and enjoyable in both gameplay and storyline. Wizards and Warriors is old-school perfection, with plenty of puzzles and secrets thrown in. As for Persona, it's just cool. The gameplay's not quite as original as VP, but the story, style, and driving force behind the gameplay are all very different.

Any more hidden treasures out there? Or old games that you remember enjoying but none of these kids who started with FF7 and BG ever heard of? (Damn kids... maybe I should wait till I'm 30 to say that. Talk about planned obsolescence!)

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Spiderweb Software's games (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html), like Exiles and Avernums. They were my first CRPGs and I still like them. They don't have very good graphics, and they are mostly hack'n'slash, but still... character building, story and world are fascinating.

Well, some or many people may have played these games, but it seems that they aren't really popular, because I have heard only few times someone (too often it's me :p ) speaking about them here in SP.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Hey, I played Valkyrie Profile and Persona as well. No one else would play those games, which is a pity because they were great! I'd take Persona 1 any day over FF8!

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

How about the SF series? MM3&4?

I resent being called a 'kid', BTW.

5. Nightgor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Starflight is the first CRPG that I ever played. This is an old DOS game from when computers measured memory in kilobytes, not megabytes or gigabytes and Tandy was the premier computer.

P&P games have always been my true love and I still have my original collection of Star Frontier material as well as Gamma World, Twilight 2000, Fasa's Star Trek game, and Call of Cthulu. I also still have to include D&D and maintain a substantial collection of both 1st and 2nd edition material that most of the young kiddies out there have never heard of or seen.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Shadowrun (the genesis/mega drive game. I haven't played the p&p RPG).

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Rastor - I've played Might and Magic 3 & 4... in fact I got them in a set that included MM 1 through 5, so I've played the ones before them too.

The old D&D CRPG's, yeah... I expected more of us SP'ers to have played them, but I guess not. :(

I'll also add Spellcraft to the list. It's more of an action based RPG with a linear sequence of events. But still, roleplaying a mage and conjuring up spectacular spells to kill stuff is fun. :)

8. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

OMG NIghtgor, I didn't know anyone one else had ever played Starflight.. loved that game and its sequal (and its spirital successor, Star Control I - III). How about this, Sentinal Worlds: Future Magic. That was a fantastic game. Also not a traditional RPG, but Sid Miers Pirates! Also truly loved Wasteland, but alot of people played that.

9. Nightgor Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Reply to Jschild....

In fact I still have a copy of sentinel worlds, future magic though it's been a very long time since I played it. I also loved the old star command by SSI even though there were barely any graphics to the game, it was still fun.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Harkle, I have played Exile too. ;)

An RPG game no one else has played... Breath of Fire II, an old SNES classic. I bet no one here has even heard of it before.

11. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

played it, beat it. Good game.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Space Rogue, little old DOS gmae :grin:

13. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Sword of Shannara and Alien Legacy (although it was more strategy).

14. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] It was a JOKE, Rastor. Besides, if you're under 21, you are a kid. Sorry. :rolleyes: And if you're older, I wasn't referring to you. Actually, the way gaming works, if you're two years younger than me you're a kid cuz you've missed out on 2 years of games.

I played Breath of Fire 2 when it came out. Good game. Too many random battles, though.

15. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Yeah, I played Exile. Good game, but in my opinion the best CRPG hands down is the old Dragon Warrior series for NES. It was years ahead of it's time and the storyline was engrossing. Almost impossible to find now.

16. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] If we want to go back a few years Wasteland (The game that started the Fallout games) and Sundog are two great DOS games from the mid 80's. Hero's Quest was also a good RPG from back in the late 80's. But the best was the old Gold box stuff and the first Bard's Tale. I spent way to much time during high school playing these great games.
    And anyone who can't remember playing your games off a stack of 5.25" disks is rather young. :D

17. Little Grey Bird Gems: 1/31

I remember the old 5.25 rpg's. I found the interface a little difficult. After teething on old games to which i can't remember the names of. I got my first real taste of RPG playing Dungeon Master for the pc (at that time a 386). It gave you decent character selection, but no stroy variance. You never made it out of the dungeon, but after a while, i had collected all the cheese there was to find and i had learned all the skills i would need to master any RPG.

18. Hacken Slash

I remember playing on the original Compaq portable with no hard drive, just two floppy drives! You loaded the operating system with one floppy then ran the executable files on the other. I think one of the reasons that we remember the old games so fondly is because it was our "first time"
    How many times can..."<insert name>, the brave warrior from <insert place> has penetrated the depths of the dungeons of <insert creepy name>, armed only with his/her <insert weapon>. He/she has had to kill many vile <insert monster> while searching the fetid depths for <insert treasure>"...we all keep looking for something different.

19. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I was addicted for a long while to Moraff's World - so much so that I even tampered with the text files to give it a storyline. Two hundred dungeon levels of monster madness!

20. Hacken Slash

I remember a game called "Rogue" that I played on a Unix server. Amber monochrome and just little letters to represent the monster, "B" for bat, "S" for skeleton, etc. Level after level you could go down, and I don't think it ever ended. Anyone else play this game?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.