1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"What's Up?"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@Abomination
    I know what you mean regarding the people talking in that language.. Its like hacker - speak: If i was typing as much as those people do I would use plain english or an abbreviated version when talking to other people. Visit http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/ for an example. Its strange how as English becomes the dominant language, it begins to fragment itself.......

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

its slang and is, thus, considered as part of pop culture. it doesn't have to grammtically correct or anything (which is why it's not tolerated in essays and such), just widely used :p but as i said earlier, its a matter of preference. guys like chev don't like to use it but other guys do. :)

@Morsmorde

Didn't think you'd open up such a laaarge can of worms did you? :p

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In truth do I say unto you, I don't care. :p

Well, guess I'm not part of pop culture, then. In some situations, it's better to say something grammatically incorrect if the correct build won't convey the intended sense, but ignoring grammar and saying things however you like it, that's too much.

4. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    It's always annoyed me when American's say y'all. But I have no idea why :)

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    chev, you really ought to study some English with your language nitpicking. If you did you would notice that there is not really anything which is correct or incorrect. There is a norm we use to standardize the language for better intelligibility but that norm changes as language change. The only true way to know what is correct is to see what people use, if many many people use the phrase "what's up" then it is correct and will sooner or later be incorporated in the codified norm.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've not heard English people say "What's Up" before, it would sound very stupid in our accent. Instead of "What's Up" it would be something like "Awight geez haaz fings?". The thought of an American saying something like that makes me laugh.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I say "what's up?" If someone round here said what you suggested, people would think he escaped from a loony bin.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Where is "round here"?

9. chevalier

Media:
    @joacqin: I've studied it all my life, and a couple of other languages as well. There's always such a thing as proper form and proper structure and common use is not really there. There are different standards for different groups of people, I guess, but I'm actually quite far from accepting commonly repeated linguistic travesties as proper language.

There always is a group of people, even linguists, who believe that whatever said is proper, but that makes me wonder why they're still taking their salary, as it were.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I said, the amateur view. That is how the hobby grammarian view language. It is not the view of contemporary scholars. To each his own, I just wanted to point out that the view you present has been discarded by the scholarly world for a few decades.

11. chevalier

Media:
    The scholarly world doesn't amount to a couple of liberal arts guys who consider themselves to be the most aware creatures under the sun. Everyone who disagrees is an amateur. Yeah, do I know this from somewhere.

Also, the word "contemporary" has no intrinsic positive value, it's a pure description. That something is contemporary, doesn't yet mean that it's also better than something that isn't. Just my two cents.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You a cockney then Sarevok?

From round here, blokes just go "Areet son, how tha guin?" etc.

And yeah, where you from Takara?

13. joacqin

Media:
    It may not have a positive value in its own, but as every other discipline change evolve so does the way in which language is viewed. Nuclear science is not viewed the same today as it was a 100 years ago the same goes for lingvistics and grammatics. Sure, we have codified rules but they change constantly. Just look at how we are dropping the possessive 's after proper names ending on "s" like Charles/Charles's. It is not codified yet but will most probably be in a few years, the grammars and dictionaries have quite naturally a lag of a few decades. Language is a tool for communication which belongs to the users of the language, it is not the property of those that write grammars or dictionaries, which even those who do write those kind of works have accepted. Just as the use of "what's up" is acceptable so is the way you use English acceptable chev, it is just that in the long run the "what up'ers" are in majority and it is the majority who dictates what language is the norm.

14. chevalier

Media:
    A norm of use doesn't have to be a norm of propriety, I would say. Oh, and it's Charles's. Always. Charleses' in plural, if there's a couple of Charleses around.

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I would have used the name James but oh well :p

Define 'acceptable' joacquin. I've just been writing a university essay and if I used the term "What's up?" (or any incorrect grammar or slang) I'd lose marks even if what I was saying held subject merrit.

16. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    @ Sarevok and Morsmodre, I'm from the South of England, not some back alley in the middle of Brummyville or Burnly or some other weird place in England.

17. joacqin

Media:
    Abomination, academic writing is almost a language on its own. It is one of few domains where you are expected to follow the codified norm completely. For the simple reason that intelligibility is so important that there can be no mis-understanding. Academic writing also tends to have a high level of formality and higher the level of formality the closer to the codified norm are we supposed to use language. Acceptability differs from domain to domain but on the great whole everything is acceptable. It is all, in this case, English.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah, an ally! Yes, joacquin is saying everything (and more) of what I wanted to say, albeit in a much more technical way ;) . I stand by my view though, its slang, and people use it, and it may not be acceptable in academic/formal writing/speaking but its still considered english :) Kinda like a "you say tom(ay)to, i say tom(ah)to" thing? hehe :p

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I guess Dorset or Summerset right? Folk down there really do think the sun shines out of their arse holes. I don't live in a back alley you cheeky ****.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Bit harsh Takara. Pull your head outa your arse mate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.