1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"What's Up?"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is directed at the Yanks on these boards and has been bugging me for ages.

When someone says "Whats up?" whats the correct response. I'm always tempted to say "Errr... the sky?" Not as a joke, just with a lack of any response to it.

Are you meant to say "Whats up?" back? Or are you supposed to launch into rant about your problems in life.

I also think 'hmmm... what does he mean 'whats up'? is there something a matter with me? do I seem moody or something?'

I've never quite got or understood this Americanism. Enlighten me.

[ September 25, 2004, 21:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

'word' maybe :confused:

or 'cool' :cool:

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can understand it through intuition only, but I guess I get the right meaning. Something between "what's going on?" and "how are things?".

The sky is more "above" than "up".

But I'm no good with North American English.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

"My patience with stupid questions. Ask me another and see what happens."

It's simply a question used when someone wants to start a conversation with someone else and doesn't know what to talk about, placing the choice of topic upon the person who DIDN'T start the conversation. I find the question very annoying and often respond with something offensive or rude unless it is someone I would consider a good friend.

Other times I just reply "Nothing." which basically means "If you want to waste my time with idle chatter you'll have to try harder than that. I probably don't even like you, your demeanour or both."

Actually chevalier, the question is incorrect grammar anyway if you want to argue the preposition of the sky. "What is up?" could only be correct grammar if 'up' was an object of some form, however I have never heard the word 'up' being used as a noun.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's the same thing as "what's happening?", "what's shaking?", "how's it going?", "what's new?", etc. It's just a means of starting a conversation.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Well, if we're going to get academic about it...

"Something is up" stands for "something is going on", right? Therefore, "What's up?" stands for "Is anything going on?" Right?

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dat's the fact, Jack!

err, I mean, Right!

:p

8. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I did always reply with "not much". Or when I'm Bussy: "A lot of thin'gs so shut up!".

9. chevalier

Media:
    It would make no sense in my example for the word 'up' to be a noun... "Up from here" would be passable, although still not beautiful grammar. "Above" maybe, but it would still be better to say "above our heads" or some such. But as I have said, I'm no good with American English.

10. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Thats what I usualy answer too. But my "nothing" is more like "nothing is up, my life is boring so dont pester me by asking how I feel, because it will only remind me of my often-dull life" .Although that is an overstatement at times

11. chevalier

Media:
    I don't think there's a need to reply with a witty remark if someone says even a clumsy start line in a kind way or out of kind motives. It would be heartless to pick on that person's grammar, unless really to help learn proper structures. If we don't answer kindness with kindness, where will kindness go in this world?

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

It's not so much about picking on their grammar, it's more about picking on how... rude I guess... they're being. They start a conversation with you yet they require YOU to provide a topic. Often times I have replied "I'm good thanks." because that would be the response to a polite question of "How are you?" and the response I often get is "I asked 'What's up?" not 'How are you?'"

It's a fairly stupid question in some circumstances. I'm sitting down, reading a book, someone approaches and asks me "What's up?". I'm reading a book. Isn't it damn well obvious?

I don't mind the question when it's actually pretty damn hard to tell what is going on. E.g. people standing around looking at someone doing something. However the correct question in that case would be "What's he/she doing?" yet it would be polite to start with "Excuse me".

Meh, I just dislike the question. If you want to start a conversation it's polite to provide information first rather than ask for it unless you already know the person. In that circumstance a question is fine but at least make it clear such as "How are you?".

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Abomination - What's up usually is taken to mean "How are you?" or "What is going on?" I don't find either to be particular rude. You can answer with whatever level of specificity you feel up to. Perfectly valid responses include:

"Same old, same old."
    "The usual"
    "It's good"
    "Nuttin', what's up with you?"

14. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

No rudeness is implied--it's just another way of being sociable and saying "Hi, how are you?" or whatever.

Now, if someone walked up to you and said "What's up?" and smacked you in the back of the head, then that would be rude...

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I find the question rude or stupid since the responses that can be given are limited. The response "Same old, same old.", "The usual." and "Nothing." are all too common. The question is basically a command that could be best compared to as "Tell me something!". If you want to know how someone is you ask them "How are you?" if you want to know what is happening you ask "What is happening?".

I can understand it being used between friends since there are no general rules for what is polite between friends but it is NOT a polite thing to start a conversation with someone you don't know or hardly know.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    If thats true, how do you get to know people in the first place?

17. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Is "What's up?" a polite opener in conversing with someone you don't know? IMO most Americans probably wouldn't find it too offensive, especially the under-25 crowd. Take it for what it is--just another way of saying hello.

18. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

First of all, it is not just American english. Some sayings cross the border. The responses that dmc gave I have said or heard at least once in the past month. Though with closer friends, it usually goes like this:

"Sup" "Not much buddy, choo?" "Same ol', same ol'."

And then the conversation is back on the initiator, therefore getting past the hello stage.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31

By introducing yourself first "Hello, my name is... I'm sorry if I've disturbed you." THEN your opening line or reson for conversation. Not just "Whut up?"

20. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

"Whats up" isnt realy an offending line, I dont know how some of you got that idea. It should be used on people you know or on someone you dont know but you realy have to know "what is up"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.