1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the verdict?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shura, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My main concern at this point is just how closely does it follow the old 1e module? Most of the preview information looks like stuff I could have read off my bookshelf. I know that the number of CRPGers actually familiar with modules published in 1985 or so is pretty limited, but I'm in that group.

Was your half orc swallowed up by the giant frogs by the bridge to the Old Moathouse, for example? Despite the heavy dose of D&D hacknslash, ToEE was fundamentally a mystery/intrigue adventure and knowing the whole thing would be a real bummer.

Still, it sounds like it might be worthwhile for when I'm not tormenting hapless ALFA Swamp-rats.

PS: I thought giant frogs could only swallow the gnomes and halflings. :confused: Oh well, maybe it was an extra big frog. hehe

2. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

So far, so good.

I like the combat system, not as slow as POR, but it gives you time to think out your next move.

The character portraits are yucky and there's not enough of them (we'll have to find a way to replace those).

The settings (environments,towns, ect...) are beautiful.

I'd say more but i'm gonna' go play some more. :thumb:

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Heh. It was a pretty big frog ;) And it was by the bridge to the Old Moathouse.

I didn't play the original Greyhawk module, so I can't say how closely it follows the set-up. My guess is that the primary plot-line is virtually identical, with only some differences. So far, it is very much a mystery module.

It's fun and pretty to look at. What I really hope is that Troika is allowed to produce additional adventures using the same engine and game design at a later date.

I didn't think they let you out of the swamp anymore?

P.S. Sprite wants to say "Hi Vormaerin!" :wave:

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Yeah, big frog that is!
    Got my Tordek to 4hp

I just started it and i must say i like the combat very much. Follows the rules much more and implements them at the least. How balanced it is i cannot say yet.
    Yeah, graphics are cool too :thumb:

Interface is reduced down to minimum, leaving only portraits and few more buttons.
    Character sheet seems combined with inventory, spells and everything else. Cant say i like that myself.

I just killed the frog, after trying to escape it(attack of opportunity :( ). Thing is... i cant find the cast spell button anywhere :cry:

Back to the grape-harvesting i guess :p

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have to admit, the more I play this game the more I like it. While turn based fighting takes longer than real time fighting, I am finding that every combat is exciting and challenging. They did a great job with this. Even controlling a large party you can play each character intelligently (there is a lot more to think about than clicking on your opponent to attack... although you could almost play it that way too I suppose). It's the closest thing to Pen and Paper I've ever seen in a PC environment. Troika deserves some serious props for this one.

I’m not saying there aren’t imperfections in the game (I’ve already listed a couple beefs in other posts), but at this point the good far outweighs the bad, which is really the bottom line for me when it comes to a PC game.

I’ve heard a lot of grumbling about the portraits. In my opinion most of these complaints are overstated. Some of the portraits are quite nice, others I would never choose to use. My biggest complaint about portraits is that there aren’t enough for the player to choose from. When I created my party I actually had to go back and change the sex of a couple characters because I found no good portrait to represent them :( .

Initially I wasn’t overly excited with the graphics (I started in 800x600 resolution); however, as soon as I switched to 1024x768 resolution it was an instant ‘wow’. The landscapes and soundscapes are quite impressive, and they did a great job animating water and causing it to interact with characters when they run through it. Occasionally my PC gets a little choppy in some of the larger areas (P4 1.8, 512MB RAM, 64MB GeForce3), but it generally handles the game pretty well (so beware if you have running an older machine).

I still have a ways to go with the game (I just made it to the temple and level 5), so I’m sure my opinion will continue to evolve as I go.

[ September 23, 2003, 01:03: Message edited by: larendor ]

6. The Gnome Ranger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is the kind of game I can really sink my teeth into. I like single player games. My only peev so far is that my mouse is dragging something awful. It's taking me forever to move around Hommett. I think that's probably due to my ancient PC. Is anybody else having this problem?

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

THe problem is that for some reason known only to Azathoth, they set the default scroll speed to the minimum possible. Have you tried going into preferences and moving it to 3 or 4 (instead of 1)? Don't set it at 5, there are apparently some bugs at that point. I've found 4 more than enough as it is.

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Stoopid Amazon!!! They STILL haven't shipped mine yet!!!!!!!!!

9. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Same with me, Sir Belisarius. I'll never skimp on six-dollar shipping again!

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gamespot has released their review, if anyone is interested. (They mention mouse problems as well.)

11. AncientGreyelf Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] There have been alot of bugs discussed on the atari forms board.I have had a few problems.Turning off you're accellerator in display properties won't let the game start,just spining cd at desktop icon.Some poeple are turning off the sound cards in startup menu.My problem was creating a party click begin adventure then hear screem and lockup.So begin adventure the tap spacebar before screem=gameplay.I don't turn off anything.Reinstalling hasn't helped anyone that I can tell.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm still giving the game a go, though proceeding very cautiously. Part of me wants to just put the game away until the patches are released. But I've never really been a patient person when it comes to games (hence, my purchasing the bug-fest before reading any non-PCgamer reviews).

:bang: Perhaps I'll learn someday.

Still, to half-heartedly continue my review, the game's stock is starting to rise with me. I started over last night with a standard D&D balanced party. Fighter, Barbarian, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard. So far I'm doing fine without the NPC's. Once you get used to the interface, it's not as bad I first thought. The graphics and creature animations truly make for a cool gaming experience. There are certain things you just learn not to do - like Turning Undead in an open area. Most of these things will probably be addressed in the first few patches though, so I'm not giving up yet.

All in all, I say it's a cool game. I HIGHLY recommend waiting until it drops in price a bit and a few patches are released. If you can't wait, go for it - but I'd at least wait for the patches. Be warned.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    God dammit, Splunge! You're memory is too good and it pisses me off, man. :mad: ;)

For the record, no I didn't learn, and yes I'm a big impulsive dumbass when it comes to games. The first step to getting better is to admit that you have a problem. :rolleyes:

15. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, DR, at least I took your vows to heart. I do not intend to get this game until a lot of people are convinced, that it is actually a great game. I think it's a structural problem, with the end of the Infinite-Engine, who or what can really replace it? I play IWD1 again and wait and see, if TOEE will be crowned as new king. In the meantime, I remain sceptical and bet on NWN2. I rather think that's the new game-structure which will get in the saddle.

16. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

I am apparently born lucky, because the game works great for me and is a ton of fun. I'm playing in Ironman mode and finished the quests for two of the Lesser Temple priests. The cool tactical stuff you can do is really awesome. The extensive use of dialogue skills (bluff, diplomacy, gather information, sense motive, and intimidate) is very nice.

And there is literally a ton of NPCs that could join your party. You would have no problem playing the game with one character and 7 NPCs if you really wanted to.

There are some issues with the game, but nothing that is more than a minor nuisance for me.

17. The Gnome Ranger Gems: 1/31

I adjusted my scroll setting to 4. That helped a little. It still taking me forever to crawl through town and dungeon. Even going from one door/room to another takes forever. I hope in vain that a patch will be put out to fix this. I know I have a crappy PC, but I can play BG, BGII, IWD, and IWDII with ease. I don't see why this game should be any different. All in all I am still enjoying the game despite the "dragging". I have successfully cleared the moathouse and am now finishing exploring Hommelet/sides quest. My party is now 3rd level. I have a FTR/Paladin, Cleric, Rgr/Druid, Monk, and a Thief/Wizard. I am looking for a NPC Wizard or Sorceror to complete my party.

18. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hint, poke around in the tavern in Hommlett.

19. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Uhh, Gnome Ranger, the graphics in ToEE are about 10000 times better than in the IE engine, so comparing performance between the two is quite a stretch.

20. The Gnome Ranger Gems: 1/31

Pardon my ignorance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.