1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the best melee weapon in BG1?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by krunchyfrogg, Jul 14, 2005.

1. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I'm doing a little future planning for my solo Bard, and since I'm going solo, and can use any weapon, I'm wondering which one is best...

2. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I would suggest you make sure you start off with Bows and Small Blades; you can get a magic dagger in Candlekeep by doing one of the quests, and bows rock in this game (especially since they'll give you 2 attacks per round). You only need, I believe, a 12 or 13 strength to use the best kind of bow available to a bard, so put more points in Dex.

In terms of best melee weapon, I've always been fond of a certain +2 Longsword which occasionally gives you a point of cold damage, though there's also a great +2 warhammer that is very easy for a bard-type to get, provided he saves first and follows the right conversational path.

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Best melee weapon is Scimitar+5:Defender :)

4. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Hehe, nice one Undertaker. Well, I'm not going to kill Drizzt, but I did happen to pickpocket his Frostbrand scimitar! I think it will be hard to beat a +3 sword!

5. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That it will. I don't think any sword in the game beats a +3. However, you might also look into some of the two-handed blades. Since you can't carry a shield (except a buckler), using Spider's Bane (which gives you a permanent Free Action) is a really good idea.

6. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In BG1, it's notorious that the best melee weapons are "long swords", whether 2 handed or single handed.
    Don't mess with +3 weapons in BG1, it's overkill. MrNexx is right, your best choice is Spider's Bane, but you will not get it soon.
    Anyway, as a bard, you can only have one prof. slot per weapon, so you may choose several.

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

To get the +1 dagger to start with, you need cha=18 and when you give Fuller the crossbow bolts he gives you the +1 dagger.

You can get a +2 shortsword fairly early on (on the Bassilus map) and Varscona (+2 longsword +1 cold dmg) at Nashkell. Also, right at the end of the game is a +3 shortsword and there is the nice Dagger of Venom. So, as long as you have short and largeswords covered you can use any of the best weapons available.

Use bows for the extra attack over crossbows.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

You could go with the Light Crossbow of Speed for the extra attack, but there are more magical arrows than magical bolts in the game (more kinds as well), so bows are the best pick. You'll get the Long Bow of Marksmanship in the Bandit Camp.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Just FYI: I think, if you don't have that 18 CHA, Fuller can be pick pocketed for that dagger.

I agree with Bard's post, though. Good choices. You might also consider blunt, since Bassiluss's Hammer rocks (although it isn't very "bard-like").

I do think the "plus" of the weapon is important, because I doubt a Bard will have a very high STR, and therefore a poor THAC0. But, I think a weapon like the Dagger of Venom, and it's benefits far outweigh an extra +1 (when comparing Frostbrand +3 to the Dagger of Venom +2). You really should hold onto that Spider's Bane sword until you get your hands on a ring of Free Action (which I'd recommend always having on in a solo game).

[ July 16, 2005, 17:49: Message edited by: Klorox ]

10. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I personally never got into playing a bard in either PNP or CRPG. I always enjoyed either being a fighter with some magical skills or a all out magic user. I know a bard is a combination Figther/Mage/Thief, but his skills a a little bit of this and that and he doesn't have any true thief skills that would benefit you in the later stages of the game, Find/Remove traps.

If I was looking for a player to compliment a well rounded group I would consider a bard if they had a Str of 17 and armor that they could cast spells without. And that doesn't happen until BG2.

11. Klorox

I actually abandoned this character. Although I've had a ton of fun with a Bard in P&P D&D, I really enjoy playing a warrior-type (or multiclassed variant) in this game. In P&P, you have the option of being a Fighter/Bard (and Fighter/Blade) and Ranger/Bard (this was implemented with the Complete Bards Handbook). It's too bad you don't have those options in Baldur's Gate. A Fighter/Bard (Blade in BGII) would own this game!

12. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It sure would. I'd like to see a game which had the same multi-classing style as Baldur's Gate (where you advance in both classes at the same time, as opposed to Icewind Dale II's where you take levels of one class or another at various times) but with more allowable multi-classes. I think Fighter / Bard, Cleric / Druid, Bard / Sorcerer (or Mage), or Bard / Thief, would all be fun to play.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, but advancing both classes like in BG II by splitting the exp is impossible in the new D&D system, right?
    Although to be honest, I preferred it too :)

14. Klorox

Think of AD&D (BGI and II) and D&D3e (NWN) as two completely different games. 1e and 2e were TSR products, 3e is Wizards of the Coast.

15. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah, so I hear - I sometimes wander into the 3rd Edition D&D section of Wizards of the Coast from the Magic: the Gathering site. But I thought Baldur's Gate II had a Wizards of the Coast logo in its opening sequence.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

BG2 does have WotC logo.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    WoTC bought TSR, kept the trademark for a while, then dumped it in favour of WoTC. That's all there is to it.

18. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Scimitar +3 Frostbrand (Pickpoket it)
    Scimitar +5 Defender (You'll use this for the rest of the game and just Ctrl+Y Drizzt and watch him explode loads of fun there)

Spiders bane is good too. You can fetch the eagles bow cause it's cool. If you have BG1 TOTSC then you can get that Two-Handed Sword +3 from durlags tower.

You can get that sucky but cool Gold Sword (I forget it's name) in that Island in TOTSC.

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I really enjoyed getting that long sword +2 "varscona" from Greywolf near the mines, as it was early in the game. I thought about using spider's bane for a bit but just kept with Defender (after I killed Drizzt ... YES! Take that you stupid Drow :D !) as it really helped my character. Too bad evil characters can't use it eh, but I'm sure once you do kill him, Scimitar+5:Defender will really be your best bet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.