1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the appeal of Morrowind?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by TheBlackRose, Jun 6, 2002.

1. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've heard a lot of good things about the new 3D RPG, Morrowind. Being as I'm an Infinity Engine fan(atic), what should compel me to buy Morrowind? Graphics? Plot? Characterization? What?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If the Infinity Engine is what you like, then you may not like Morrowind. Morrowind is mainly played in the 1st person perspective. Though you can switch to 3rd person, it's not very useful, other than to get a different view of your surroundings.

There is no party really, though I understand some NPCs will join you for certain reasons (I've only had one guy follow me, but when I didn't take his side in the dispute he was having he left) you don't control them.

The combat is more like a FPS than the overhead tactical combat of the IE games. You have a crosshair, and you have to aim your attacks at your enemy, and you can dodge (strafe) to the side during combat.

The graphics are great. The water looks real, and when it's raining, you get the water droplet splash rings in the water... good stuff.

Everything is very customizable. You can create your own spells from other spells you've learned, you can create your own potions from various ingredients you learn about, you can enchant your own items. It's an extremely free-form game.

I highly recommend it if you like the kind of game it is, but if all you like is the IE, you may not like it.

3. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Freedom. Complete freedom. In BG2 playing a normal character you end up doing about 75 % of all quests in the game, if not more, when you finish it. In Daggerfall, there are different guilds and other factions that give you quests, along with tons of random encounters. Unlike BG2 you hardly ever get a "good" and "evil" solution to each quest, usually in fact it's all good, even when you're working for the Telvanni. Instead, the game really doesn't go for that cliché good vs evil thing. Some characters are more selfish than others, that may be bad if they decide that you're in the way of their agenda, but it may also be good if you can help them. Once again, the Telvanni mages are the best example.

There are 3 so called Great Houses, you may only join one, and each has its own set of quests... each one is geared towards fighter, mage, thief, pretty standard, but what it means is that the game plays very differently as a Nord barbarian compared to a Wood Elf thief or a High Elf battlemage. Thus, replay value should be great, if you ever finish it. It's rumoured to contain about 500 hours of playing time for the average character.

4. DinoTiggy1 Guest

You have near total free dom to do what you want, adn you can get away with doing almost anything, as long as you are willing to pay a fine. There are loads of races, 10, including the argonians (lizard men!) there are about 20 (ish) different classes, ranging from battle mage, assassin too warrior.
    The graphics are absolutely amazing.

I too, thought that nothing could tear me away from the infinaty engine, but Morrowind is amazing. You don't have to play the game in first person, as there is also a third person option.

Oh, and there are loads of different beasts to kill.

Yay.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It sounds really cool and the graphics are ace, you can stand on the roof and shoot people, you can be a cat man! cooooool!

DinoTiggy1 - Evil Keyboard Returns, and so does DTs evil spelling :lol:

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I've been playing a bit more (on the Xbox), and I must say some of the areas are incredible and fascinating, very creative. Like the Vivec Canton area? I was freakin' out. Right noiw I'm in that town looking for the guy to givr the package to you get in the beginning after walking all over 'Wind and juist checking stuff out. I've never seen anything so beautiful on my TV screen, but I'll bet PC resolution is even better.

7. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Morrowind is easily the greatest game I've ever played. It blows all the other birds out of the sky. Bethesda has a nice record for that, I believe...

8. Well.....just like others have said the graphics and freedom.

9. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Total freedom is a wonderful thing, you could probably spend ages on this game without even making a skratch on the main plot of the game, I don't have a clue what the main plot is, and I have been playing on this game for about a month!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.