1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's NO's best weapon (assuming he's a Fighter)?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Klorox, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

If you're building NO up as a Fighter, what weapon proficiencies benefit him most?

I'm just finished with the Modron Cube thing, and had completed all of Clerk's Ward in my current game, and the best weapon I had found was a Mace that improved regeneration.

Are Axes better, or what about Fists?

I don't plan on abandoning my current game, but I think a Fighter best suits my playing styles. I often have NO enter melee even as a Mage in my games. I kinda want to do a power run after I'm done and plan on going mostly-Fighter (switching to Thief and Mage only for the class-specific parts).

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's been a while - but I seem to remember fists and daggers being the best weapons in the game. They are more plentiful and the extra damage from larger weapons become negligible at higher levels. The big bashers are tempting, but not as effective.

It's been 3 years since my last go however...

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Some possible spoilers.

There's a good hammer at the Curiosity Shoppe in Clerk's Ward. You can also find a good hammer in the Player's Maze (you need to irritate the Lady of Pain for that).

If you join the Godsmen, they sell a very good axe, Ascension.

I assume the club you found is the Justifier?

You'll find some great punchdaggers towards the end of the game (the Mark of the Savant). At about this time you can also find two extremely powerful weapons that can be changed to any weapon class, though one of them requires that you're Lawful Good.

Conclusion: Whichever suits your fancy. :p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've always been partial to axes.

Minor spoiler about how to powerup with axes:
    You can get Vhailor to train you if you meet certain requirements - IIRC you have to be Lawful. There are details on SP.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    DM, the powerup you mention is a STR increase, irrespective of which weapon TNO is using.

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Uh, is it? I thought you had to have some axe proficiencies/you get some sort of axe-related bonuses?

Guess not then.

7. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

No, but the reason you remember it that way, is probably because TNO have to be a Fighter, and must ask Vhailor to teach him the Axe, Deathmage.

But as Ziad says, it gives TNO a STR increase and a general damage bonus according to how Lawful TNO is.

As seen here:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/npc_convos.php

8. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    the most practical choice is to make TNO a mage at higher level. Dak'kon can switch him to a fighter for the Vhailor quest. The best weapons for TNO are daggers or clubs, for this reason. At lower levels, i had him using a +1 axe for a while, when he was a fighter.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    IIRC it doesn't really matter what proficiencies you give TNO. The two best weapons in the game can be turned into any weapon type anyway, so all you'd need to do is turn them into whichever type you've got most of your proficiencies in. I'd go for dagger as a mage and axe or hammer as a fighter, but it really doesn't matter that much.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Fighting in this game isn't a big deal, and your buddies can more than handle any fighting that comes your way.

Besides, you're freakin' IMMORTAL. :p

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, what they said. I'd give the punch daggers to Annah. She's deadly with them. In my game she killed the Demon from Moridor's Box by herself using the Assassin's Knuckles.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I know you're right, but there are a few factors steering me in another direction.

One is my personal playing style, I just like to get in there and hit stuff in games.

Another is a practical one: There's only one party formation I can figure out where NO isn't the first guy in line! That sucks for a spellchucker!

Since this game is 99% story, and only 1% combat, it really doesn't matter anyway. I may as well go with what I like.

I figure I'll switch to Mage and Thief at times when they grant special bonuses (Mage when talking to Ingus, Thief with a few tattoos and when talking with Lenny), but play mostly as a Fighter.

I'm leaning towards clubs initially, along with fists. Annah will always get the best punch daggers, but I found some fist weapons that she can't use. One of them is a vampiric type of knuckles. They're just nasty!

13. Nordom Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Theres a great weapon available at Coaxmetal "Spiked Gauntlets of Ogre Power"
    when i first bought these i thought they where gloves and was frustraded by the continual "wrong item type" when i tried to equip them as such, Soon realising they where a weapon.
    Best weapon in the game is the "Entropic Blade" can be used as a mage, when you get to the point when your able to use it TNO can be a very powerful battle mage

14. findarato Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

this 'entropic blade' should be given to the NO by Coaxmetal after he was freed. I tried this, but he did not give me anything. How can this happen? Sorry, I'm playing for the first time and have many maybe stupid questions.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He should have given it to you when you gave him the Mordron cube. Try reloading and doing it again (maybe shift to fighter first).

16. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I was a mage when I tried, maybe that's the reason I don't get anything?
    Next time I will try it as a fighter, but have to start a new game for it. just completed this one. (could not kill the TTO though, but I still can try)

17. Montresor

Media:
    It's not necessary to kill TTO - in fact the best way is to not kill him. :)

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    Your intelligence (or charisma) should be high enough to get him to merge with you. Alternately Coaxmetal sells a dagger which will kill YOU -- TTO doesn't want you to kill yourself (it will die too) and you win.

19. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I know, and I alrady merged with him, and once I undid him and myself. I have that blade you mentioned. It kills me, but not TTO when I attack him. I know killing him is not the best ending, but I am curious to find out what could kill him. some spells I have annoy him quite a lot though, but most times he's quicker than me.
    I also used the rune of torment, even if he made safe, it's a cool movie.
    I am just trying all sorts of things, because I am curious. ;)

20. Montresor

Media:
    You can get help fighting him. Ask him about bringing your companions back to life. You will learn that he can do it - and that *you* can do it, even if you weren't there when they died. Then tell him you've let his Shadows run loose. He will leave to investigate, giving you time to raise your companions yourself. When he returns and sees what you've done he attacks, but the party shouldn't have too much trouble killing him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.