1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's ALFA?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Tal Tamir, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Tal Tamir Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Seriously, whats ALFA? everyone talks about it but i have no idea what it is

[ June 23, 2004, 15:20: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

It's a big persistant world place for playing Neverwinter Nights online.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A Land Far Away. Watch out for those test dummies. They're lethal. Ask Deathmage.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

A Land Far Away is currently one of the biggest (if not the biggest) persistant online world out there, made with the NWN engine. It's goal is to try and reproduce the world of faerun, and is doing a great goal of it so far.

We currently have around 200 active players, 50 active DMs and 13 active servers, all containing well into the hundreds of areas (the most I think is over 400 areas, and the least 150). These range from Waterdeep, the City of Splendor, to The Pirate Isles, to the great plains of the Frozen North, to the famous Undermountain and Skullport.

As well as the 13 live servers, there are about 5 more approching Live within the next few months. These include the Northern Underdark (with places like the Menzo, Ched Nasad and the Labirenth), Westgate, Vale of Lost Voices, The Empire of Netheril, Earthspur Mountains and soon to be Thay; as well as many many more.

Along with the great amount of custom content and buetiful servers, ALFA can also boast one of the highest RPing standards throughout the internet.

All you need to join up is Neverwinter Nights and both its expansions, then jump onto the website and fill out the application form, or hope into the new Open Application Server, where players can be accepted just by showing that they can RP well.

I think that sums it up, but feel free to answer more questions if you want, and make sure you check the website ;)

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Wow, RotkU, that's quite a introduction :thumb: :grin:

I'd like to point out the RP value of ALFA. Truly, it's the highest i've ever seen and if you yourself are not a roleplayer, there's little chance you'll make it in. Even if you do, DMs will constantly spawn all sorts of Chromatic Dragons on you if they see you running in full plate killing deer for XP ;)

If you enjoy roleplaying though, there isnt a place you'd wish to be more, except living in faerun (which is unfortunately impossible :( ). The freedom and variety of characters around, where class counts rather little next to the personality of the chap. You have sorcerers pretending to be knights, charging ahead in fights, clumsy fighters in metal armor trying to sneak ahead and scout, and once in a while you might even encounter a barbarian that... fights as a barbarian does ;)
    An awsome world, to be sure!

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've had practice. It's amazing the number of emails I get asking about ALFA.... *sighs*

7. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've been a member of ALFA for... about a year, and I've never ever regretted joining :p
    Truely well worth it if you're up to the high level of RP required.

8. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Did anyone bother to check the link Rotku gave? It links to alandfaraway.com. I'm not sure what kind of site that is, but it doesn't look like it's related to ALFA.

Isn't the adres www.alandfaraway.org nowadays?

9. Rotku

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] It used to be....Or it was dot net.

11. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I belive it was .com once upon a time.

Hey, Bel you could come back. DMs these days can play as players on other server than the one they're DMing i'm told. I havent actualy started one, but it should be true since Frosty is DMing as well as RPing her n-th druid (who is actualy alive for quite a while now :p ;) ).

12. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yup, heard that too. But Frosty is not a good example since AFAIK she only dms on the oas. And since that is in no way connected to the other servers, there would be no interest conflict either way. But indeed, I heard too that dms can play on other servers than the one they dm on.

13. Rotku

100% true. But they are advised (or have to, if you want it that way) to spend atleast 80% of their time on their own server, whether it be DMing, building or scripting.

14. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    ALFA is, extremly good. And I said it, so it's 110% true.

Rotku likes to kill PCs.

Harbourboy is right; those training dummies ARE lethal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.