1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Would you like to see in the game?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Online' started by Dibbley, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Dibbley Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well acording to the new DDO web site, Crafting is Out at the mo, so are the Druids and Monks...... so what would you lot like to see in the game?

i've never played a mmorpg yet but this one looks like it may be worth a try.

i just hope they dont let people play as the drow! its not that i hate the drow... it's just i like them too much to have 100 or so wanna be drizzts running about! what are thoughts?

2. Uncle Spanky Gems: 1/31

I really don't know how in depth this game will be. I only want it to NOT be a complete hack and slash fest.

I'd like to know why no druids or monks though.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Druids?! Why take out druids!? Stupid if you ask me. If anything with the classes they should turn Paladin and Monk into a PrC, but that's about it.

Aslong as the game offers good value RPing I'll be happy. And a good story ofcourse :)

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Why take out any of the 'base' classes? That's simply... well, stupid. If you're going to make a D&D game then make sure its fully D&D, not some bastardised version of it.

Unless in the world there ARE no monks or druids since it isn't Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance or Greyhawk.

5. Rutherford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

While i completely agree with you, i think that its just tough to pack all the finer nuances from the entirety of D&D into a game....even if it is an mmo. i dunno...maybe thats just me. i think it would be amazing! but tough.

6. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Role playing, I just need role playing. Well and no monthly fees.

7. Dibbley Gems: 1/31

Well i dont think they will do Away with the monthly fee's! but acording to the ddo Forum the only reason that the Druid and Monk wont be in the release becuse they want to do them properly and dont want to do the loved classes half-assed (and there are alot of peeps who like the monk and druid!).....

.....that isnt to say that they wont be in at all, as this is a ebberon setting.

8. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Then why don't they just WAIT to release it? These are CORE classes. It's not like waiting for an expansion to add a new continent, or prestige classes, or your own starship. The core classes are part of fundamental gameplay and balance.

As an aside, I hope to see good stuff for people who want to roleplay evil characters. You know, summoning demons to wreak havok on innocent npca, kidnapping local nobility, sacrificing virgins to gain infernal favor. Just good clean fun. That would of course give all those paladins out there something to do too. Also, better spell effects. The ones I've seen looked pretty weak.

9. Dibbley Gems: 1/31

I there leving out the druid and monk for the time being mainly (don't qoute me on this) because of the moves set in combat and you can guess why fighting classes and spell casting classes will all have a fairly similer move set....(a Fighter and a Barberian can Punch etc.)

The Druid and Monk on the other hand break that mould. It's going to take time to balance the druids shapeshifting ability for one. oh and you want better spells effects im pretty sure they will look kick ass! dont forget that DDO isnt ready for beta yet so stuff will change....

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would have liked to see a nice, streamlined turn-based system a la ToEE, but I see the developers have gone the route of real-time combat.

11. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sorry Rednik, I'd have to disagree. I hate turn based, I mean HATE IT!!!!!!! :flaming: :flaming:
    Real time rocks! Even with the pause.

Onto the topic, it sucks if they get rid of the monk and druid. Though, I guess its better without the monk. I mean they're just so powerful that power gamers would be invincible with the monks. And there would be so many because they're so good and monks aren't supposed to be all that common. But then, thats still a dumb way to try and stop power gaming. Not to mention it isn't the reason they took them out. There's my little blurb.

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31

But having it in realtime and in Eberron takes away the whole feel of DnD. Now it's just some MMORPG.

13. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Good point. But I much prefer real time combat. I think they should find another way to set it apart from other MMORPGs. Though the D&D feel can stay with real time combat. Baldur's Gate is real time. Its the overall atomosphere that matters most.

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Well, Baldur's Gate and such were a translation of 2nd Ed. DnD rules, and as such they were passable, but it's obvious how watered down 3e was in IWD2.
    Most of the feats are going to be useless or at least heavily modified for this game, and the actual combat is going to be a melange of actions and hotkeys much like Gothic1/Gothic 2. However, there will be no savegame to reload if you screw up.

15. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Yet another good point. Something you can't have in MMORPG is the pause like in BG. So it would require more quick thinking and decision making which isn't D&D style. I see where you're coming from. But, I still don't like Final Fantasy style turn based, if they were to do turn based then they'd have to change it somehow.

16. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Eh, I doubt it's a good move to make a DnD MMORPG in the first place. It's such a saturated market and the last thing we really need is Atari, which owns the DnD francise for games, to be led to believe that DnD is unprofitable, which could lead to a virtual dryspell of good DnD games. It almost happened after ToEE, which is ironic, considering Atari were the ones that screwed it up in the first place.

17. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Agreed, a MMORPG for DnD is risky and might only work if it were like ALFA. Where roleplaying is everywhere.

18. Dibbley Gems: 1/31

don't forget that Atari is only the Publisher, Turbine is the people designing and creating the game.

the same peeps behind Asherons Call and Middle Earth online.

the DDO team are P 'n' P roleplayers as well (there even posted the results of there latest Ebbouron Campaign on the forums.)

so i belive they will do D and D justice...... just got have faith!

19. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Having a crappy publisher can ruin the game no matter how good the devs are. Take ToEE for example....

20. Dibbley Gems: 1/31

I hope that u're wrong as i belive that if done right the grandady of RPG can teach alot of stuff to the MMORPG Peeps. at worst it may perswade them to have a couple of real P'N'P sessions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.