1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Would You Like To See In IWD2?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Bhaal's Drinking Buddy, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Bhaal's Drinking Buddy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I for one would like 2 c the followin:
    Better, Longer levels
    Cooler Spells and Weapons
    Higher XP Lvs
    More Character Class Kits
    NPC Joining
    All this and everything that was included in all the AD&D games that have come before.
    1 more thing:the game should be cheap as hell! :D

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Please read the Basic Forum Rules at http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html

Especially the part about not l33t talk anywhere on the boards. I've fixed your current topic, but you make sure the text you produce from now on won't include any "b4" "c u" and the like. Thank you.

3. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

More intelligent fights and a greater vaerity of monsters. Take dragons eye:
    Lizardmen and only lizardmen on level one.
    Trolls and spiders on level 2.
    Wights on level 3. Yuan-ti on the next 2 levels. It kinda takes the fun out of it when you only encounter HORDES of the same dudes again and again.
    And the only tactic I ever found really useful was the infamous "conga line of death". (The 2 dudes with the highest armour class standing in the dorway and a cleric right behind)
    The game needs more dialoge, and needs to be more balanced...you missed a lot by being evil. It would be fun to play a game where you could join the bad guys and unleash terror upon the world. HahahaHAHAHA! Yes! YES!
    It could be fun to combine strategy and roleplaying (strongholds). Everyone starts the game the same. Dialoge choises in the game will have impact on the story and maybe even...how the game ends.

4. H Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The game should not be so lineal like IWD, also it needs some naked people... :D

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] What does IWD2 need? Well I think it will have all the classes & kits, spells, and creatures of BG2:ToB but is that enough?

No, IWD2 needs more dialogue and interaction than IWD. Joinable NPCs would be cool. I'd like to meet people that my party talks to not just kills. More quests that are more complex than 'go kill everyone'. More options, different outcomes and lines to follow. In short increased flexiblity.

6. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

3E rules and classes
    more subquests
    deeper story and some chance of roleplaying
    more areas to explore

7. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

i want to see some npc's in this game. The fact that a whole party appeared from nowhere confused me a little!

Better storyline.

Higher exp cap obviously.

Kits for each class, Maybe some unique to IWD like some type related to the conditions(ice mage?)

Cloud and Storm Giants. :) :) :) :D :D :D;0

8. MountainMike Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Strengths of IWD:
    -Dungeon crawling with a good (not great, but good) story line and great atmosphere/music.
    -Being able to create your own party from scratch (though some NPCs might be welcome).
    -Nice selection of weapons/magic items

Weaknesses:
    -Limited range of spells for high-level mages, even after HoW
    -HoW is a mindless monster-hack
    -Could use more character class variety a la BGII, though being careful to use classes that fit in with the scenarios (kensai? I think not)
    -More interaction with NPCs would be great
    -How about some more dragons? Please?, Pretty please?

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Clearly we need a new smooth 3D game engine.

10. ccav Gems: 1/31

I always loved my IWD parties, I just wish they would have talked to each other/ had personality. I think it would be interesting to add 20-30 "pre-made" backgrounds and associated personality dialog scripts as part of character creation. That way you could have party interaction (one of the best part's of BGII) without NPC's (which I could care less about).

IMO, the best parts of IWD/HOW/TOtL were:
    - difficulty of battles (vs. BG series)
    - limit on available spells
    - uniqueness/quirkiness of items
    - art and atmosphere
    - balancing of abilities among most classes
    - paucity of uber-items
    - implementation of higher levels in HOW/TOtL

the worst parts were:
    - lack of party interaction
    - size/linearity of HOW
    - lack of "other party" encounters
    - lameness of rangers

Some other wish list items would be:
    - Dual wielding
    - Setting-appropriate kits
    - A stronghold with associated quests
    - Quests with multiple solutions and outcomes
    - More thief skills
    - A bigger town
    - NPC encounters which include limited cooperation (ala BGII final Bodhi battle)
    - Encounters with "famous" IWD NPC's
    - More use of hirelings (e.g. to gather info, as guides, to find someone, to identify a powerful item)
    - More upgradable items (ala dwarf in HOW)

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] no bugs!

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I would also love a large scale, epic type battle!!!! That would be soooo fun!

When Ultima Online first came out, I happened to be entering a city during a lizardman attack...About 50 monsters struck, and the community had to fight back against them! It was pretty cool.

Or something big like the Gnoll fortress in BG.

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

At first I had a lot of reservations about this game, and truth be told never made it to chapter one before I quit of bordom. But after getting around to replaying it, here are some thoughts. The game does do a lot of things corectly. It has some stunning backgroungs and music. IWD, for the most part, seems to be a little bit darker in the lighting effects than BG. Now this isn't huge, but it does set it apart nicely and gives it a unique look. Case and point: caverns before Dorn's Deep. Were else have we seen that amazing blue glowing effect on Myconds? Plus that makes the bright white of the snow all the more impressive in such places as Wrym's Tooth.

Now what the game should incorporate:
    -EVERY advancement since ToB, including more diverse/better spells (especially high level ones), better pathfinding, kits, high level abilities, AI, dual wileding, whatever. Lots of advancements were made, and if they aren't included, it looks more like a limited effort.
    -Joinable NPC's. I think they should allow you to create a party of four (use the personality packages ccav was talking about) and allow the party to choose to take on another 2 npc's if they wish, side quests included.
    -More interaction, and not just within the party. There were very few places to actually meet and talk to people in IWD; it was mostly just hack and slash. The game would seem much bigger and take more hours of playtime if it included some detailed side quests and town where you could talk to others.
    -Take advantage of all the monsters developed in all the infinity engine games. The variety of creatues in IWD was sparse at best. Use what came before to the fullest and include, beholders, illithids, vampires, werewolves, better drow (spellswords with spells would be nice IMHO). Just something more than trolls and orcs and undead.
    -Include a better plot please. In IWD, the plot seemed more of a loose framework for you to hack and slash away for hours than to tell a story (admitedly I am still in chapter 5). You get to visit some incredable places like the Hand of the Seraldine, Dorn's Deep, Wrym's Tooth. Make these places stand out in the story; don't just use them as a pretext to kill orogs or shadowed goblins. Also, in the case of Dragon's Eye, make the levels tie in a bit better. I mean, it made the volcano seem to be a jumbled mess the way the levels were layed out.
    -Try and find some game balance. So far, I don't think any Bioware game as done this very well. IWD was grueling at first even with three cleric types, and now I'm breezing through. There needs to be something that balances the difficulty better. I know it's hard to do, but surely they've learned better after all the IE games they made to date.

Well that's my wish list. Hopefully they can do something more with the IWD concept this time around as the market seems to be attempting at least to catch up to the Bioware standard. With more diverse offerings out there, there's no guarantee I will drop another $40 for a game I'm finishing as quickly as IWD. It did well the first time because people were clammoring for more Bioware after BG. This time aruond, I think people won't be as quick to buy just becaues it's more of the infinity engine from Bioware.

14. Munro Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Whilst the atmosphere/music and feel of IWD were excellent the one dimensional gameplay led to predictable hours of gaming. By the end I couldn't of cared less, even though I had built up an affinity with MY characters. I want a villain I can really dislike, who keeps coming back for more punishment. Someone I can have dialogue with that will determine the outcome of the game. Please keep the self-generating character system, but is there a way of giving them more of an individual personality? How about an even more interactive environment to allow more imaginative spell use, there's nothing like a good rock slide to put the wind up an advancing party of frost salamanders. UM...
    can't think of anything else, yet.:idea:

15. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i would just love to see some NPCs on the scale of bg2, and yes definately some more imagination put into it.

IWD seemed rushed as it was really meant as a stopgap measure between bg1 and bg2. HoW was a nice addition for some new features, but hell it didn't exactly add to the story at all other than

"look, lets kill hundreds of trolls and strange rehashed Monster models!"

i hope they aren'tr using IWD2 as another stopgap... :aww: that would be disappointing to say the least. I hope BIS learn from the ideas and mistakes that were made in the other IE games, and make IWD2 an excellent game before the advent of NWN.

and i can sit and hope... :D

16. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

you may not agree with this but i for one, want real turn based combat system for a change :) But since it won't happen.. :p

17. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You can set the auto-pause for the end of each round and have 'almost' turn based combat in any IE game.

18. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] yeah but that doesn't really cut it you know :) I miss the xcom/jagged alliance/fallout style fights.

Hmm maybe the new PoR ? Though I don't hear much praise about it.

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'd like to see David Ogden Stiers back, doing voice acting. Heck, even David Warner did an excellent job. The original Icewind (without Heart of Winter) has a smoother story and actors.

20. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

it needs to come out..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.