1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What will MP be like on a 56k?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Void, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

As the title says, what will multi player NWN be like on a 56k modem?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] BioWare have said that playing on a 56k should work just fine, but the connection might be too slow for hosting games. I've tried some online playing on a 64k line, and there was no problems at all.

3. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I get quite a few 56k players on my server. Certainly playable, they take a bit longer when moving into new areas - especially large ones, and occasionaly get a bit of lag.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

From what I've experienced, most of the lag comes from the host machine, not the player side. I have a 56k connection, though mine actually connects at 50k, which is pretty good. All the lag I've seen comes from the server. Now I have had my game lock up a time or two when loading, but I think there's something else going on there other than my connection speed.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Another modem user checking in. Yep seems ok on mine. I do get some lag at times but, normally when it's bad, everyone else is complaining so I guess it's the server.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Alright, I have a 56k, but it rarely connects at anything more than about 41. I have not had any lag at all and have had no problems hosting. It seems to depend a lot more on how solid your connection is than the speed of it.

7. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My 56k is pretty good, when it comes to MP games in general, and most 56kers probabaly think this. but after playing on friends machine with broadband, you soon notice how much slower a 56k really is.

OOOH how i envy them.

8. Void Gems: 10/31

Thanks for the replies, looks like its time to start my online NWN career...

Sorry for not replying for so long, I went through a phase of not posting on the Sp forums....

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not a problem. Everyone goes through em. Hope you find a good server to play on or group to play with.

10. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

So this little survey really makes me wonder where my problem is

11. Void Gems: 10/31

Well, I just realised that it is, in fact a 28k modem, but it seems to run fine anyway. Whenever I get dropped from a server, Its gone when I get back, so I guess its the server's fault.

I just applied for ALFA, but I doubt I'll get in. Anyway, If I do, I'll see you on phlan...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.