1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Will it Take?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Shaman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was browsing through the BBC news tonight, and I see the following:

"US vetoes UN resolution on Gaza"
    ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6139968.stm )

As the French say, deja vu. With all the effect of the resolutions on Sudan, I'd have thought that it wouldn't be so shocking if Israel at least got a "Shame on you" message. Frankly, it seems just cruel to the many victims on both sides that no matter where they bomb and how many casualties there are, the UN can't even make a statement condemning the violence because one of the sides has a good lobby in Washington. Naturally, muslims all over the world get a very negative opinion of UN, the US, and international politics in general, and if they feel they need to make a point, they opt for violence. It is, to say the least, regretable, but given how much support they receive otherwise, I wonder if they could do better. However, I think that in the past the US has also been more willing to at least wag a finger at Tel Aviv. Now there's apparently not even a token reaction. Maybe it's the whole 9/11 aftermath, but I think that this is not how the struggle against terrorism should be fought. If we don't want muslims to go on the warpath, why should we provoke them in such a callous matter? We are pouring water in the fundamentalists' mill, and then - surprise - Hezbollah, Hamas, and god knows what other thugs and crazies get elected.

Anyway, back to the question: what do you think it would take for the US to allow a sanction (even a moral one) against Israel? Please post even purely (hopefully) theoretical options, such as nuclear strike.

[ November 12, 2006, 01:19: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm guessing if Israel did something without being first provoked, bombed, shot, kidnapped or some other sort of atrocity that would probably be deserving of criticism.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Hm, I suppose the Palestinians think the same way, right? It's certainly a good way to run business. After so long, both sides can point at some incident and say "See, they started it."

"The blocked resolution also condemned Palestinians who fire missiles from Gaza into Israel.

Israel's military said it has been targeting militants in Beit Hanoun who have been firing Qassam rockets into Israel, and blamed a "technical failure" for the misfire that killed the 18 civilians.

The United States cast the only vote against. Four council members abstained and 10 voted for the resolution.

Before the vote, Bolton said the United States joined the other countries in "deeply regretting" the injuries and loss of life in Wednesday's shelling, but said Israel has promised a full investigation.

Bolton said the resolution's text was "unbalanced.""

Right. Good thing he's there to mind the language, since everyone else missed the delicate nuances of phrasing. I hope he'll be as sensitive and diplomatic when it comes to a resolution on Iran.

[ November 12, 2006, 02:32: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

He might not have the time. From what I've read his re-confirmation hearing should be soon and the chances that he'll get to continue as the US ambassador in UN are very slim.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Can't say I will miss him. Anyway, I got a little sidetracked with the extra CNN excerpt in my second post. The thing is, I am genuinely a little fascinated by whether support for Israel is as complete on the lower level.

[ November 12, 2006, 03:22: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Probably an end to terrorism and the handing over to the US of thousands of terrorists that they have warrants for (starting with Osama Bin Laden) to the point of the disbanding of terrorist groups such as Hamas, Hezbollah and Al Queda.

In short? Hell freezing over...

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Hizbullah are only thought as a terrorist group in a few countries (US, Israel and Canada). In the UK only the armed wing are called 'terrorists'.

The US calls for democracy yet punished the Palestanians for voting who they want in government. Don't Hamas deserve the chance to evolve from a terrorist group to politicians like Sinn Fein and UUP? Hamas also observed a long ceasefire dispite Israel punishing (killing) the citizens of Gaza for the crimes of Islamic Jihad.

As Hamas and other groups in Palestine (rightfully) deserve criticism for the killing of Israelie civillians, so do Israel for their recent slaughter. I hope they feel proud of themselves for shooting unarmed females , and bombing children while they sleep.

8. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, they deserve. When you look at US, you see that terrorists can be elected( It is Bush, of course).
    I think US government thinks US needs enemies and somebody to accuse for everything, so they don't want resolution. Or because they are just the greatest ****ed asses of the world. I think it is both.

9. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG]
    This approach looks like our government's approach against PKK here and is doomed to fail as long as

-these organizations which you call as terrorists are not seen as terrorists by people living there

-government(s) fighting against these organizations are creating more terror than them.

Someone's terrorist group may be some other's army. Hamas and Hezbollah are seen differently by people in their lands. While undoubtedly Al Queda is a terrorist organization if I compare the invasion of Iraq by USA with September 11 attacks I can't see any difference between Al Queda and USA except one is not a government and one is. Oh sorry I forgot another difference : USA managed to kill more innocents than Al Queda.

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

You know. I'm increasing believeing that the US shouldn;t have a say in UN stuff, or should be ignored...

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, that would only exacerbate the problem. We think we're THE superpower AND moral authority on this Earth, so if the UN starts ignoring us, we'll just do our own stuff more often. Iraq would only be the beginning; we'd become more of a threat to world peace than we already are. Eventually the other nations would have to put us down hard to get the message through our skulls that we're not the only country out there. But the net result is everyone being poorer off; US for getting smacked upside our heads, and the rest for whatever we inflicted upon them.

[ November 16, 2006, 05:38: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Oh how I wish Bush pulls a 'Clinton' and gets caught with his pants down ... so to speak. That way we can get on with things!! I shudder to think of the damage his administration will cause in the next 2 years...

13. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@Faraaz
    Didn't Bush have an affair with Ms.Rice?
    --------
    US can't ever punish Israel because there are many jewish people who are in control of Us economy...
    But i don't think that with Kerry things will be different...

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The problem is not really the US but the other countries that let the US blackmail them. In Ireland, nearly everyone was against the war in Iraq (apart from a percentage of racists), we are a neutral country, yet the government lets US warplanes refuel in Shannon airport. When a single mother smashed part of a US jet, she was sent to jail :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone would have a affair with Rice, shes not exactly pretty.

15. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG]
    OMFG she's so hot. She also plays piano. :p Seriously I know some people here who finds her beautiful.

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

They should get their eyes tested.. With all those sexy women in Turkey, I am amazed that Condi is even a consideration.

Back on topic - As long as US christian wackos believe that a greater Israel will bring the second comming sooner, there will always be support, no matter what. Bush claims that God talks to him (its actually Dick Cheney), and Ronald Raegan thought he would witness the apocalypse in his lifetime.

Check this out :eek:

[ November 16, 2006, 13:38: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Now this is ridiculous. It's amazing to me that some people still have this notion that the Jews control the economy of the US. The Jews can't even control Hollywood (as is often the other accusation), let alone the whole economy.

The funny thing is, if you pay attention to it, the "Christian religious right" gives more ardent and unquestioning support to Israel than does the "liberal left." (BTW, Jews in the US are, by far, much more aligned with the "liberal left" than the "Christian religious right.")

The "Christian religious right" believes that Israel is necessary for Judgment Day (or something like that, I never got it exactly straight). So that is why they don't want to have anything bad happen to Israel until it's time for the end (again, it's something like that).

There's no way the Democrats are running Kerry again -- they can't be that dumb.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Taken from here.

We have our own version, that preach in Belfast town centre every Saturday :flaming:

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Cúchulainn - thanks, I remember that article and that's what I was referring to.

I guess we're in act 3 or 4 now? Anyway, Kara Ay, you should read the article Cúchulainn linked as that will really show you what is going on here.

20. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

rotflmao. It is the funniest thing I have ever seen in a while. If you go against Israel, you will be destroyed by divine power blah blah blah... Again, rotflmao

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.