1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What weird or wonderful things have you collected

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jezgar the Red, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jezgar the Red Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:
    [​IMG] I saw a sword haning on the back wall of a secondhand shop not long ago, with what looked like a dragons head hilt. Having always loved dragons and all things medevial I had too have it. Rushing towards the back of the store it wasn't a dragons head but a snakes head with its jaws agape showing all its fangs, not what I frist thought but still rather cool.

Not having enough money at the time to buy it there and then, I put it on laybye for my birthday and gave little heed of it till then.

When I went and picked the sword up to my excitment it came with its own backing board, I'll be able to hang it on my wall great I throught. Now the on the board there was a silhouette of a gnarled old tree and on the back, the words sleepy hollow. No-way it couldn't be, I havn't seen that movie in ages, finding a copy of the movie on the net I watched it. Sure enough I'm the proud owner of a copy of the headless horsemans sword, and if I could find his hand axe even better.

So I thought how many other of you have found weird and wonderfull things.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm still rather fond of my Kraemer Nightswan guitar, which I've had since highschool. It's candy-apple red, with 24 frets, a reverse headstock, and a Floyd Rose tremolo. Since Kraemer was bought out by Gibson in the early 90s, this guitar has become something of a collector's item. It's in plush condition.

I have many, many, many wonderful memories of jamming on that guitar.

--When I first saw this thread I thought you were asking what odd collections posters have had. I'll respond to that just for the fun of it. My wierdest collection was my knife collection, again, from my high school days. I'm sure a long haired rocker (as I was back then) sitting in his room for hours ogling the dozens of knifes that were on display must have been... disturbing, on many levels.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a Playboy collection....

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

T2, my dad used to have a solid musty-smelling old playboy collection as well. Found it up in the attic back when I was 12 or so. And, yes, he did give me "It's got good articles in it too" excuse lol.

I used to collect comic books in a big way. Did some coin collecting too for a bit when I was younger.

5. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I used to collect troll figurines (still have a lot of the plastic ones, you know, the ones with big oddly - coloured hair). Started at the tender age of eleven. Some see it as an anticipation of some of my future Internet and IRL activities.:D:D:D

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I guess we all know what trolls are on the internet, but IRL? Does this mean that there will be some lurking under bridges, and tormenting the passerbys in your future??

:alien:

7. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Yes! Whoah whoah, leave the fire and acid alone, okay? :D:D:D Trolling IRL is a rough synonym of pranking people, I guess. In exemplum, like that time when I made everyone believe Titus Flavius Domitianus ate babies. Or anonymously called a few people only to recite the last verse of this Robert Frost poem (if memory serves, 'Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening') after watching 'Telephone'. Yes, I am immature - bear with me. ;););)

Ah! Now I recall. As a kid, I also used to collect beer caps. Do not worry - they were my father's. :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Beer really is such a grateful topic. You can bring it up literally anywhere and it's fine. Might be better than weather o.O

I collected coins. Still have a nice pile of em, but stopped actively gathering them a few years back.
    I also adore natural wood. I can't take a walk through the forest without coming home piled with wooden "loot". Most of it is old and weathered, it's softer white wood crumbling or already fallen away, leaving the darker core wood that emphasizes the shape. It's just beautiful and i usually can't make myself to shape it further, even if it'd improve it overall. So my room is full of it, most of it full of dust on a shelf somewhere, possibly being munched on by this or that mole. Authentic lair.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Indeed!

I collected dice. And playing cards - Italian, French, British (boring) and various German sets.

10. Marceror

Media:
    I did my share of pranking in Jr. High and Highschool, but we certainly never referred to it as trolling back in those days. I can't keep up with all the new fangled vernacular that the younger generation is coming up with these days! :p

Perhaps not so much at an AA meeting, or your local ultra conservative church gathering! Most other places, okay, sure ;)

On topic, I guess I'm on the cusp of being able to say that I collect Dell computers, since I just got off the phone with Dell having purchased my 4th (there is one Alienware included in there, but since Dell acquired them they count). How many computers qualifies as a collection, anyway?

Back in college I actually had 12 computers online and running in my bedroom, so that was a collection of sorts. Most of them were crappy, but they were extremely valuable for allowing me to build a foundation in server support, engineering, and basic networking. Back in those days, an entire weekend spent at home configuring systems and various distributed applications was like, pure bliss. Some 15 years later I have to ask, what in the hell was I thinking?? I should have been out partying, something! :doh:

Truth be told, those activities probably had more to do with opening the doors into my current career than my actual college education (studied computer science and business).

11. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

That's the spirit! :D Though College gives even more opportunities. Like reading a Gor novel in front of your ultra - feminist creative writing professor and arguing that the gender roles presented are natural and should be introduced into the 'sick and wrong' modern society. I mean, a real - life berserker in XXI century is a sight to behold!:D:D:D

And I misread it. As 'ice'. Made me quite curious about the temperature in your neck of the woods :D.

Do not forget the Jehovah's Witnesses assembly ;). In Poland, when one abstains from drinking alcohol, most people automatically assume that such a person must be one of the Witnesses. I started drinking mainly to make everyone see that I am not! Yeah. Right. :D But hey, everyone has their own excuse, right?

To stay on topic... Another memory. Quite unsettling. At the age of seven, I used to collect watches and clocks. All kinds. It was quite calming, back then, listening to their ticking. Now, after fifteen years had passed by, the very same sound makes my skin crawl. I do not possess any watches nor clocks, not even one. Ah, cruel Tanathos...! I am getting melancholic again. Still... it is a nostalgia thread, in a way, is it not? ;)

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I used to collect seven dice sets. Have a set made out of Tigers' Eye which cost a small fortune and I quit then before I spent silly money again :doh: I have to stop myself browsing dice and similar interests when feeling down, I get the urge to buy things :D

13. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Sounds impressive. Do you perchance have any pictures of the dice in question?:)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.