1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What was your first computer RPG?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Late-Night Thinker, May 28, 2003.

1. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

When I was a young child, about six, I was cared for during the day by the YMCA. Well this older kid there told me stories about this game he was playing and all about Moongates and spells and I specifically remember him telling me a story about how he had to look in the swamp at midnight for a special mushroom. Well after bugging him incestintly to tell me stories he just brought in the instruction booklet and gave it to me! Turns out it was Ultima 4. Fast forward a year, my parents buy a PC.

For Christmas I pleaded and begged and then threw on some extra pleading for Ultima. Problem is, Pat Robertson has convinced my Dad that anything Pat Robertson does not do or say is evil and grounds for eternal damnation. Well Pat Robertson has not met a eight (+/-) year old dead set on getting something. Got Ultima 5 and...didn't really figure it out for a couple more years.

But once I did, been playing RPG's ever since. Well I'm 23 now but I'll still always remember those early days of Ultima 5. The sound the clock made. Finally figuring out what "vertigo" meant. Ahhh the memories. When my parents bought a color monitor. Wow.

What were some of your guys first computer games?

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My parents bought a Mayhem machine. Yay! It was a beast among other computers. In its wake it left a trail of electromagnetic waves other computers hungered for in their dreams. Its name was G700 or something around that number. And the year was 1983. My brother and I watched in excitement at the miracles unfolding on the telly, as this big bastard was plugged in and the videocasette the size of a sixpack was unrapped.

The next seconds are kinda fuzzy in my memory. Like beeing high on weed. Some parts are missing. I do remember the first game though. My brother and I played this game with two cowboys facing eachother in a duel, at least we thought they were cowboys, with only trees, or what appeared to be trees, disturbing their views. This was the first time I killed my brother. And He killed me. But that wouldn't be the last. Of course later we upgraded to amazing 32 colours computers and cooler games. But this cowboy game is the first in the hall of fame. Ahh memories.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    My first CRPG was a the Gold Box Pool of Radiance, played on a 386 16MHz PC. That PC replaced my first computer, an original Apple Macintosh, which had no games.

4. Anectine Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well my parents could never afford a computer for me when i was younger so me and my brother would just mostly beat each other up for fun. In 6th grade I got a nintendo for christmas with super mario brothers.

Then I heard this retarded commercial on tv for the legend of zelda. I begged mom for a couple months for the game and she finally caved in. Who says advertisement doesnt work? That was my first encounter with a fantasy game of any kind; unless you count the kid that lived down the street that played D&D that I beat up before school sometimes. Ahh the memories.

I played the legend of zelda for hours and hours and hours. Then my brother threw it outside the rain and messed up the battery. Oh the agony!

That was the game that got me "hooked" on fantasy games. I later moved on to CRPGS when a computer was more affordable after college. I love everything fantasy but dont tell the D&D kid I used to beat up.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Fallout 2, I think. Before that I even could have played some games with roleplaying elements, like Warcraft 2, but not really RPG. I liked Fallout 2 and at some point even decided to finish Fallout 1 to know what was before. The next one was probably Might and Magic VI. *That* was a game! Heh...

6. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

BG2 or Everquest, I forget which.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

My first CRPG was Darkstone. It was Baldurs gate SoA that made me really interrested in RPG's, but Darkstone was also pretty good back then.

For those of you who don't know this game... the gameplay is best compared with Diablo.

8. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I played many console RPGs in my youth, but the first Pc-Rpg ws BG 1. But I really hated it, because I never played a game like this before :D

9. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] My first game was in pentium 133, win 3.1, about 10 years ago, I was 22, and the game was Knight of Xentar, then I got Diablo and was such of a experience, since then, I always spend hours in front of a pc game.

10. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My First RPG's were Sentinal Worlds 1: Future Magic, Wasteland, Pools of Radiance Gold Box, and NetHack.

11. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Fallout 2, there were others I played first but this was what really got me into the genre. I still vividly remember blowing Fred's head off with a Desert Eagle when he refused to hand over Becky's money. Then pocketing the money rather than returning it to Becky :evil: . Had never played anything remotley like it before...

12. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I belive the first was Daggerfall. But the first AD&D type was Dark Sun, but i dont know if that was the first part (you start as a gladiator...)

13. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Mine was Ultima III. Next was Curse of the Azure Bonds. Man, I am old. :D

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

My first had to be on the super nintendo, I visited a friend one day and he rented some game where you could run around with a little dude handling some sword, he was killing RABITES and MUSHBOOMS.

First I thought what lame crap was this but then he gave me a try and I was totally caught in the story and gameplay.

The game?

It's the game with the worlds most beautiful orchistral intro ever created. I listen to it to this day.

Secret of Mana

15. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My first RPG was Baldur's Gate. I read PC GAMER'S review of the game and knew then that it would be the best game i ever played. Man was i right!! There are better RPG's (very few, BG2 being one of them) but then it was heaven and that's when i also became more and more fantasy freak :)

Couldn't have put itbetter than that! I played the game about 2 years ago and i loved it!! Great game!

16. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My first "real" CRPG was Exile 1: Escape from the Pit, which I really liked. It was only two years ago, and that game got me hooked in CRPGs. After it I played all Exiles and Avernums through and then I got BG2 in my hands. Well, you know the rest of the story. ;)

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I think it was Diablo, It was fun back then but no more today... but BG 2 was the real CRPG, because I do not think that diablo is a RPG just a medival " Kill everything that move with a sword "

18. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My first Computer RPG was "Champions of Krynn" by SSI on the Amiga 500. Loved the sounds when a draco died. :D

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, moving the grey hair out of my way to type, the first thing I would possibly put in this category was the original Adventure, played on a 110 baud paper-only terminal off of a PDP 20/20 mainframe back in the good old days of 1980 or so. For those who weren't born yet, that was right after card-reading computers went out of vogue. To say that the game was slow would be like saying absolute zero is a little chilly. But we, of course, did not know any better.

If you want to talk stand alone computers and RPG's of the create-your-character-by-rolling-stats variety, I don't remember what was first, the original Wizardry or the original Ultima. In any event, I had them both for my Apple II computer. The gold boxes came after that and BGI is positively new.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I remember "King's Quest" played on my old Tandy 1000. Man, was that game ever annoying!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.