1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What was the last game you really enjoyed?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Midwinter, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

As the topic says - what was the last game you really enjoyed?

For me, it's usually the surprise games which turn out best, possibly because I don't have expectations. Age of Kings was great, but Age of Mythology seemed lacklustre. Medieval: Total War was astonishing, but Rome: TW is another disappointment. After Ultima VII and Torment, I've been disappointed by every RPG I've played, with the possibly exception of KotOR, which wasn't bad (although neither were BG or BG2 - BG can be excused for being before PS:T, but BG2 was critically lacking, with a few exceptions, in well-thought out characters, meaningful dialogue and a compelling atmosphere).

What was it for you?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Bg2 I suppose.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You found Rome: Total War a disappointment? I love it and I'm still playing it now. Maybe it's because of my interest in the classics or my love of strategy but then again, different floats for different folks.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Jagged Alliance 2 for me. Nearly a perfect game. Bring on JA3!

5. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Syatem Shock 2, Deus Ex, Or Jagged AAlliance 2! All three games rocked my little world. :D

6. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, for me you'd have to ask the question: What is the game/games you ARE enjoying right now? lol I am currently playing UT2k4, Age of Mythology, and Baldurs Gate: TOB!

7. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Rome was great for the first campaign, but then it got boring - no faction re-emergence, no MTW-style civil wars except the Roman one (which doesn't really count, since they're separate factions anyway), vast numbers of bugs, AI which can't cope well with city battles, no MTW-style Glorious Achievements, the difficulty is *still* out of balance (the game gets easier the further you get), ridiculous 'features' like Carthage being almost insignificant and chariots being super-vicious-death-dealers which can turn on the spot and are at their best charging through city streets (!), an infuriating lack of moddability from a game which was promised to be highly moddable...

I love history, and the classics. A lack of Roman slingers, the ridiculous fantasy Egyptians, the stupidly effective war dogs, the bizarre wonder-chariots (in an age when chariot warfare was all but over), the lack of true spear troops (apparently, Triarii don't count as anti-cavalry - only pikes get bonuses vs cavalry), Australian-voiced advisors (!), a complete ignorance of Classical Latin pronunciation and grammar (Julii is correct, but it's not Brutii, it's Bruti, it's not Scipii, it's Scipiones, and it's not denarii, it's denari), and all the voice-acting of Latin unit names being in Ecclesiastical Latin were just too much

Maybe my expectations were just too high, but there were just too many things wrong with it.

8. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The LAST game I enjoyed was Guild Wars (the open beta). Before that it was probably Call of Duty: United Offensive. The last CRPG I enjoyed would have to be KotOR.

But I'll always enjoy these classics: BG series, PS:T, Fallout series, AvP 2, Monkey Island series, JA 2, X-COM series, Ultima VIII (you read that right, EIGHT) and others that I can't think of right now.

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Hmm... Rise of Nations, UT2003 (me and my bro had hude LAN battles and I've got my big stereo system hooked up to the puter, so whenever I'd launch off a missile, I'd get a blast of air in my face from the sub. Booya!), Warcraft 3, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Baldur's Gate II.

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Fallout 2.

12. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Runescape ;)
    I find it quite entertaining

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I really enjoyed Thief 2: The Metal Age.

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Starwars: Kotor

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

NBA Live 2005, i'm right in the middle of it.

16. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The last, BEST game that I played was probably BG2.

The last game I really enjoyed was KoTOR.

Right now I'm playing and starting to play City of Heroes, and Tribes: Vengeance. CoH is obviously the best MMORPG I've ever played, but singleplayers are always number one to me as roleplaying games.

Tribes: Vengeance does have the potential to become very good, but that's still hard to say. Starsiege: Tribes (Tribes 1) is the best multiplayer game I've ever played in my life, and I stayed on it for some 4-5 years I believe. Its worst problem was the playerbase, even if it did have a better playerbase than any game has had before or since. That playerbase eventually got so rotten I had to quit for all the cheaters and exploiters and griefers.

Then there's AvP2. That game has more potential than any other game. But the bugs were never removed from it, and immersion-specific balance issues were left uncatered for (a single sniper shot can kill the strongest of predators with one hit to the chest, and a single sniper shot could kill a queen alien (one that required accomplishment to get, and was supposed to be far stronger than any other playable character) with one shot to the mouth). Not to mention the cheaters that were unbannable and swarmed the servers with their noclip and godmodes.

17. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Fable although it was slightly dissapointing to what it was expected to be. And KOTOR. It rules.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Icewind Dale 2 is the last game I really enjoyed on the PC...

But the one I enjoyed most was Baldur's Gate 2, which I played right before that one...

If other consoles are allowed...Fire Emblem for the GBA. Best. Game. Evarr!! :D (For a handheld atleast)

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SW: KotOR. Loads of Star Wars RPG goodness! :)

20. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It's hard for games to beat BG2 anymore. I kinda spoiled myself in that sense.

Fable was a blast though. I really enjoyed the whole game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.