1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What to do? Party progress question.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sylvan, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am just about to fly into Chapter Two, but I've noticed a reduction in the number of XP I am receiving. :eek:
    I am guessing this has frustrated many people.
    Anyhow, my question is this. Should I continue on with a party of four, or add another character to the party :confused:
    If you think I should add a character - what do you think it should be?
    My current party is as follows:

1/2 Orc Barbarian 5/Fighter 3/Rogue 1
    Aasimar Druid 4/Cleric of Lathander 4
    Human Bard 5/Sorcerer 4
    Human Monk 3/Sorcerer 6

My monk/sorcerer will now be concentrating on the monk side of things and be a back up caster to the bard/sorcerer. :D

2. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

according to the difficulty of finding and disarming traps later you definitly need a real rogue and not this jack-of-all halforc ... typical would be a fighter4/rogueXX char or single rogue.
    e.g. traps later contain ADHW

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

That's a lot of multiclassing! :eek:
    I finally settled on a four character party, just as you did and then added another character when the xp received for monsters dropped. The added 5th and 6th character will be kept at 1st level for a long time.
    If you go that way you want someone who will be able to survive and keep out of harms way because the HP's and saves will be low.

A few suggestions:
    - Svirfneblin (spell resistance, mirror image, etc) Cleric
    Str 13, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 20, Cha 1
    - Half-orc Cleric
    Str 20, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 18, Cha 1

More or less high Dex, Con and Wis for better saves, AC and HP's. Also they would at least be of a little use by missile fire, so Rapid Shot and Sling.
    I like to keep the racial stats maxed at start. :)

[ December 09, 2002, 14:29: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Earl Grey, surely you cannot consider having characters with 1 int or 1 cha! Talk about Stupid and Ugly! ;) No-one in my party would even talk to each other at that level....

Seriously though, I thought the XP reduction was based on the highest member? Just the impression I got when it was reduced in mine after levelling a character to 8 and later to 10 (or was it 11?).

Could be that it took the average over a certain amount, so adding low level might help, but I'm not sure.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I'm pretty sure the xp from monsters is based on the average party level.

Btw, low charisma doesn't have to mean ugly. In my party I have a few low int/low cha characters and they don't talk much.

Here's what happened one evening in my party between the male Half-orc Barbarian (Int 1/Cha 1) and the female Human Cleric (Int 4/Cha 1)

Bonehead: "Graar! Hrrr-hmm? (translated: "Want to get it on?") :evil:
    Celeste: "Arrf! Arrrf!" (translated: "Sure thing, big boy!") :love:
    I'd say it was all physical... ;)

[ December 09, 2002, 17:04: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

6. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't believe your story Earl Grey. I'm sure you made it up. Because
    a) A man would never even look at a girl with 1 CHA, even if he had 1 INT. and
    b) A half-orc barbarian with 1 INT would never ask beforehand.

:D

7. IaaA? Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sure he would after he got beat up several times. And then later, he wouldn't ask any more (return to the way he did it at the beginning). We have real-life 1's come on campus all the time. I don't think any have ever had any. Also, most, if not all, the WWF guys are 1's and "fairys."
    IaaA

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.