1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What these stats do for a sorcerer?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Voy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I've completed the game several times and I have(I think) quite good knowledge of most classes/spells but there are things I have little clue about like sorc- which I never played

I'd assume he uses CHA instead of INT but I know he doesn't in BG2
    so someone plz correct me and list more stuff if I missed something plz

INT - using spells from scrolls, mindflyers res, rare convo checks, lore, wish
    WIS - rare convo checks, lore, wish
    CHA - convos, shopping

so if I gather all my info right his no of spells per level or access to any circle of magic is not dependent on any stats and I could theoretically give him 3 INT, 3 WIS and 3 CHA and be quite successful?

2. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

INT: Labyrinth spell duration (when cast on you).
    Nothing else comes to my mind.

3. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

CHA is the primary stat for a sorceror, so there's a minimum to it. 3 is not an option. But it doesn't influence his casting, so you could keep it at the minimum allowed, which is 9. Secondary stat is INT, also with a minimum of 9 and no influence on number of spells known or castable.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The sorcerer is probably the most stat independent character of the game. Typically, I raise his dexterity to 18 for the AC boost, his constitution to 16 for the hp boost, and really not much of anything else matters. It's not like he's going to be wearing heavy armor or anything, so he doesn't need gobs of strength - having enough to carry around basic gear is fine. Having an average intelligence, wisdom and charisma is perfectly acceptable.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's nice to have good WIS to be able to get the good options from the Wish spell, though. For which a sorcerer is extraordinarily well equiped to try to get a nice option from. Even without project image, a sorc can still use all his lvl 9 spells to try for a good wish, and a sorc has more spells for lvl 9 spells than a normal wizard would have, too.

6. Voy Gems: 5/31

maybe it's better to invest in intelligence since wish checks both and potion of insight gives a better bonus(up to 18) than intel potions and lasts for 6hours(doesn't matter much tho)

hmmm anyways how much of both you need for perfect outcome?

my stats so far;

STR 12
    DEX 18
    CON 16
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 18

for BGT so I'll get +2 WIS and +1INT in BG alone should be enough
    but im thinking of dumping one of the stats like WIS to say 8 and get 18 STR

7. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Why +2 and not +3 WIS? Does BGT remove some tomes?

8. Voy Gems: 5/31

I only accounted for those in BG1 since I don't remember where they are in BG2(and don't tell me i don't want my surprise to be ruined :p) I don't even remember whether I found them last time :p Anyways would you do....
    STR 18 WIS 8 INT 14
    STR 12 WIS 14 INT 14
    or STR 12 WIS 10 INT 18
    as starting stats?

9. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

STR 18 because I like to carry as much loot as I can.
    Last time in BG1 I discovered a nice trick that makes it easier to carry heavy loads though:
    Requirement: The load has to be light enough, so you're just slowed, but can walk.
    You give your character order to move to some location. Open inventory screen. Pick up the heaviest item. Now the character in unencumbered and keeps a regular walking pace. :)

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

INT is the only important stat for a sorcerer in 2ed D&D. Charisma belongs with the 3ed sorc. Anything else than INT is a bonus. Plain and simple.

11. Voy Gems: 5/31

from what have been said here(assuming it is correct) INT doesn't influence your casting abilities(if you have enough of it to use scrolls) or spell progression; you basically need 9 INT to be sorc so it is hard to say that it is important stat for sorc

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There's 3 thomes for WIS in BG1, if you have Tales of the Swordcoast also installed. Depending on choices and class you can get between +1 and +3 WIS in BG2. For INT it's +1 in BG1, between +1 and +2 in BG2.

Anyway, strength is nice for carrying stuff and hitting stuff. If you like to have your sorc wade in and join the fun, giving him a high strength is not a bad idea. In BG1. In BG2 there's quite a few items that increase your STR to at least 18/00 and up to 22. Actually, I believe there's one item in BG1 that also sets your STR to 18/00.

So on the whole, I'd rather go for higher mental stats. The 18 CHA is nice, but not really that useful otherwise. Though if you want to, for RP-ing reasons or whatever, go for it. For CHA you can get +1 in BG1, between +1 and +2 in BG2, if I remember correctly. Possibly +3 if CHA is considered the main stat for a sorc in ToB.

13. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Yes, but not usable by Mages and Thieves. Guess Sorcs too and it's available late anyway.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yeah, but it's no problem in BG2, because some of the strength enhancing items come from girdles, which anyone can equip. Personally, I don't think maxing out strength is going to do much for you, because only fighters, paladins, rangers, and multi-classes of the same can gain exceptional strength.

A strength of 18 gives +1 to hit, +2 damage. Well whoop-de-do. And remember that a sorcerer is only going to get one attack per round in melee combat. So it's not highly recommended to max that out, even if you do plan on sending your sorcerer into melee combat. The best way to max out damage with a sorcerer or mage in bg1 when you aren't using spells is giving them a point in missile weapons, and having them throw darts. (Throwing daggers may also get more than one throw per round - I don't recall offhand.) You can go with a sling, but you'll only attack once per round with that.

In terms of carrying capacity, I believe an 18 strength gives you 200 pounds, which is a good amount, especially since you won't be lugging around heavy armor or weapons, but chances are you're going to have someone in the party with exceptional strength (like Minsc or Kivan - or Shar-Teel if you're into the evil side of things) that will have even more carrying capacity.

I was not aware of wish checking both intelligence and wisdom - I thought it was only wisdom. So for a sorcerer, I'd prioritize wisdom over intelligence, although as has been mentioned, you'll find 3 wisdom tomes playing through BG1/TotSC, compared to a single intelligence tome.

15. Voy Gems: 5/31

perhaps i am wrong about int wish check i read that somewhere don't even remember where anymore :confused:

dunno about darts but throwing daggers add an attack(if you have a fix pack that fixes it because -surprise- it was not implemented

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Str can be important for the sorcerer. No need to raise it to 18, but the higher the better for obvious reasons. The 2nd level spell "Strength" will also give you that nice boot to 18 with little trouble. In BG1, what happens when an 18 STR non-warrior type reads the Tome that raises Strength +1? Does it go directly to 19? Never tried it myself, so I am just wondering.... When playing a Non-warrior type I always give it to my toughest Warrior, usually Minsc or Shar-Teel.

17. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

99% for yes.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, reading a tome of strength takes you to 19, regardless of whether you have a base 18, or an exceptional strength of 18(00). (Although there would be little point of using the tome if your strength actually was 18(00)).

19. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

If you intend to stay with BG1 and never export the character to BG2 then there are probably NPCs who would get greater bonuses.
    But otherwise it's hugely valuable. All the way to the end of BG1 and very roughly half way through BG2 you'll have +1 DMG and through the rest of BG2 - +1 DMG and +1 THAC0. Not a huge bonus, but lasting for a huge amount of time comparing to a little better benefit from giving the book for a NPC only till the end of BG1.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I thought it was just +1 damage. I thought the progression was:

18 (91-99) +2 to hit, +5 damage
    18 (00) +3 to hit, +6 to damage
    19 +3 to hit, +7 damage

But yeah, since you can only export your character into BG2, I suppose if that was the plan your character would still get the biggest benefit from all tomes regardless of the stat in question or what it's current value is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.