1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What rogue skills are actually useful?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Enquillion, Sep 5, 2013.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm also coming late, but I feel I should add a few things
    I've been doing some playing around using DaleKeeper II, and I've come to some conclusions that could be wrong.

No dialog check exceeds twenty, and I'm not so sure that any open lock or disable device checks have a DC over 20, but it certainly does not seem like a 1d20 check for the "chance of success or failure depending on the roll" range. Seems more like a d6, but I haven't done a statistical analysis. I may have somehow gotten a B+ in stat 301, but I've forgotten too much.

However, when it comes to the hide, move silently, and pick pocket skills, having an edited character with an effective skill of 19 on the attributes screen doesn't help as much as you would expect.
    Those clerics of the Red Knight and Tempus in the tent at Targos are almost impossible to pick pocket. I don't know of any way to show the die rolls and the calculations, but it seems you need a natural 20 on one of them to get it with the amount of reloading I needed to do, and the other is almost as bad (at least a 15 or higher is needed).

Also a character with over 20 for hide & move silently can still regularly fail a check if he hangs around enemies, much more frequently than you'd expect to get a 1 on a d20 check.

Either character/class level is being factored in, or there is more going on. I've quaffed potions of master thievery using the CLUAconsole to get pick pockets over 60 and I still seem to need to get a natural 20 to rob that one priest, and the other isn't much easier. Even with over 60 in PP from the potions, my character still regularly fails, with or without rogue levels.

On the other hand, disable device and open locks does work when maxed out.

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Yes, there's definitely something funky going on behind the scenes for both Hide/Move Silently and Pickpocket since not even absolutely maxing them will affect your success rate much, if at all. I've done more than my fair share of Rogue-ish tank wannabes to know..

Wouldn't be surprised if the actual check for the skills counts the skill value as NEGATIVE or something stupid like that! :D

3. Bjourtra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I like detect illusion. It gets rid of those pesky mage spells: mislead, mirror image, simulacrum, project image...

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Holy Necro, Batman!

The only place I recall seeing "detect illusions" was in Baldur's Gate II, not Icewind Dale II. I don't recall it being in Icewind Dale I either.

5. Bjourtra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Oh, very sorry! I was looking at different threads and thought this was Baldur's gate.
    Please excuse my comment

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.