1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What NPC should I get next?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Tyresian, May 23, 2001.

1. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm not sure what npc i should get next as this is my first time through bg. I have in my party

me-ranger
    khalid
    jaheira
    imoen-duel theif conjurer
    xan
    kivan

Im probably gonna replace khalid with coran and jaheira with yeslik. I also wanna replace the that loser xan, but not sure with who yet, need some1 who can cast identify(shouldn't have dueled imoen into conjurer, dammit)

2. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

replace xan with Dynaheir at the Gnoll fortress and take safana instead of imoen, also u should keep khalid and jaheira they are quite good...

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you do drop Khalid and replace him with Coran you are losing your only pure fighter and replacing him with a fighter/thief. So you lose some attacking potential but gain some thief skills. Maybe a closer swap would be to replace him with Minsc (especially if you pick up Dynaheir). Of course it aslo depends on what thief level Imoen got to before you dualed her. maybe you need the thief skills. In that case, maybe a pure thief (Alora or Skie) would be better as you and Kivan can take the tank role.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Minsc. Without doubt.

5. antoine Guest

imoen as a pure thief is the best thief in the game so it is a pity that you dual classed her, and change Kivan for Branwen, because you already have a ranger and you could use some cleric power.

if you have:
    Ranger
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Branwen
    and Dynaheir, then you have a pretty good team.

[This message has been edited by antoine (edited May 24, 2001).]

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I disagree.... a cleric and a druid? You can better get another mage instead of Branwen or a tank like Minsc.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Jahiera's spells in BG simply put sucked. Talk about not taking the time to develop the druid's spells for the game. She isn't worthwhile to keep. Coran is an excellent addition, but you might have to modify his strength somewhat if you're dumping Khalid (best pure good aligned fighter in the game, why dump him?). If Imoen is already dualed to a mage, take Quayle. Yes, he can't cast level 5 mage spells, but his array of spells is huge. He is a cleric/illusionist, so that would give you bonus mage power and cleric power to boot. Yeslic...dunno. Never played with him enough to be able to comment fairly. Though he could be a worthwhile addition if he can actually fight.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited May 25, 2001).]

8. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why not use Edwin? I know he is evil, but he is a good spellcaster. And that female fighter, Sharteel, is also quite usefull, although she is also evil.

I think Alora is one of the most enjoyable characters in the game. Just got to love her "Hey there, Hi there!" :)

[This message has been edited by Grovflab (edited May 28, 2001).]

9. Avooch Dar Guest

I would replace Kivan with Coran.
    If you want to stick with the figther priest thing then replace Jaheira with Yeslick (in the cloakwood mines.

As for Khalid, he is the worst NPC in the game. God, he is a fighter, but he only has 15 strength!!!
    i would get rid of him and get Ajantis or Shar teel

Just out of interest how many people have played with this combination:

Paladin
    Branwen
    Imoen
    Coran
    Dynaheir
    Xan

I have never played this combo before and decided to speed through.
    It is the most powerful group i think you can have. i killed the iron throne guys while i was at level three!

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hence you give Khalid the gauntlets of ogre power and let him bash in the heads of every monster in the game effortlessly. Hmmm....I thought he had 17 strength anyway. I could be wrong.

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Why are all of you so hanged up in having the best possible party and the best possible characters? Play with a fun party with fun characters. Just play the game and enjoy.

12. Sarin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Since you play a Ranger you may want to go for a purely good aligned party. My suggestion in this case would be:
    - You -Ranger
    - Minsc -Ranger (or Kivan/Ajantis)
    - Coran -Fighter/Thief
    - Yeslick -Fighter/Cleric
    - Dynaheir -Invoker
    - Imoen -Thief/Conjurer

Sure, you do not have a pure Fighter in this party, but your Ranger and Minsc should be quite sufficient for the front line. In emergencies Coran & Yeslick could help as well. With Coran you also have an excellent backstabber.
    Whilst waiting for Imoen's Thief Class to be reactivated, you can use Coran for lockpicking (& may be pickpocketing) and a combination of Find Trap Spell, Mirror Image and Coran with a potion (Potion of Power? - not quite sure) for detecting + disarming the traps. The last part will be quite hard, but once you get Imoen's Thief abilities back, you will have an excellent team.
    Anyway, that's just my opinion ;).

[This message has been edited by Sarin (edited May 28, 2001).]

13. You are not thinking of not having Minsc in your party I hope...
    I always have him in my party, like someone said up here "he's a regular tank" :D

14. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] the greatest team is

Cog Primius Fighter level 7
    Kagain Fighter level 6
    Viconia Cleric level 6
    Shar-Teel Fighter level 6
    Tiax Thief?/Cleric level 5/6
    Quayle Mage/Cleric level 6/5

you see...
    ...only one mage needed

[This message has been edited by Cog Primius (edited November 07, 2001).]

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Shar-Teel is bad, her constitution simply sucks. I should say go for Coran, with the bracers of Archery, his dex of 20 and the Long Bow of Markmanship or Composite Long Bow +1 he almost never misses!

16. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Alot depends on what kind of game you want to play. Me it's - TANKS, TANKS TANKS-
    I have-
    Me- Paladin
    Ajantis- Killed off Khalid (This was to keep Jahiera for a time)1st Character change
    Minsc/Boo
    Coran- Left Jahiera in the woods (She complains too much) 2nd Character Change
    Yeslick- Left Iomen in Cloakwood Mines. I was torn with this one. She's an excellent Thief.
    Dynaheir

With these characters at thye levels that I have them at, I pretty much have monsters come to me.

17. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Garet Jax,

This thread was originally started on May 23rd, 2001. I think that answering this question now is a bit moot. When you post to give someone help or advice, please check the original date the message was posted.

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Actually you'll see that Cog Primius did the trashdigging, but yeah what is it with people responding to these old "who should I have in my party, what should I do next?" questions. To find them they have to be searching months back anyway. And that defeats the purpose as I am sure that the person who wrote this post has long since played their game and made a decision.

Oh yeah Tyresian I think you should pick up Tiax becuase he rules all! :grin: :hahaerr: :rolleyes:

19. MD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Find Minsc and get Dynaheir in the gnoll stronghold. Find Ajantis instead of Khalid and Branwen instead of Jaheira. Use Imoen and no other thiefs. This is my fav. party.

20. Cog Primius Guest

dear big b
    i just want to ask this...
    do you mean that i have a bad party

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.