1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What? No Super Bowl thread?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Drew, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    One of the closest, most exciting Super Bowls I've seen in years and no one starts a thread about it? The Patriots juggernaut was shut down by a team who lost half of it's regular season games just one season prior, whose coach had to fight for his job, who went on to lose it's first 2 games this year, and no one was excited enough to start a crap talk thread in order to brag about the upset?

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Wow, you should've heard the roar when Tyree caught that pass on the final drive... and I was with sober people, imagine the sports bars :eek:

Manning was throwing dead ducks all over the place, but he did enough to win. All week my gut was that the Giants were going to pull it off, it just seemed too easy (if you get that). I never would put money on the Giants though... however, with just a quarter left and a 7-3 game I told my worried, non-football fan, friend I'd gladly take over his bet (with another friend). He said he'd give it up, until the Giants retook the lead and then he denied it.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I had a feeling that the Pats would get overconfident. I also had a feeling that coughlin had held some stuff back. He's been a hell of a coach everywhere he's been and good coaches don't show their full hand.

Also, another superbowl guarantee came true this weekend, with Plaxico Buress guaranteeing a victory and predicting it to be a 21-17 game. I read Brady's response and laughed and then put my money at work on the G-men. "We're only going to score 17 points?" nope. not even.

That is the only team in the NFL I honestly hate, and thats because they are all a bunch of classless jackasses. Wilfork, Brady, Harrison, Moss(who surprised me in the post game conferences, was being stand-up so maybe he's turned it around) Bruschi and Seymour, all dirty and/or classless people.

4. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    It must be galling to the Patriots to lose to an inferior team. That's why I like baseball, one bad game in the postseason doesn't necessarily end your season. Oh well, don't really care that much, really.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Was this the Superbowl proper? It went by relatively quietly, considering the circus wich followed the last one. I just doin't 'get' the amount of money Americans spend on pointless, crappy, expensive, merchandise. Nowhere else the world do people spend so much money on pointless merchandise.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Apparently the Pats were the inferior team this time around. I wonder how much of their loss was due to not being able to review illegal tape in advance? :rolleyes:

I never thought the game was going to be the blowout that some were calling for, and I'm only a little surprised that the Giants pulled it off.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I thought the Pats were going to rape the Giants but I was rooting for the Giants. It was so satisfying being in that bar :D

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes it was the "Superbowl proper". But what do you mean by merchandise? I suppose the people that go to the game itself buy a lot of junk, but most of the people I know watch the game from home or at a bar, and the only "merchandise" they buy is food and beer. I'm sure a lot of Giants fan might buy a T-shirt of cap with "Giants Superbowl XLII Champs" or something of the like, but again, that's a small subset of the population. I can't think the average American purchases much of anything beyond food and beer.

Also keep in mind that the people at the event are mostly celebrities. There are very few actual fans at the game, because the tickets are prohibitively costly for most people. Of course, if you have the kind of money to go to the game, then you naturally have enough money to buy all the crap they sell there too.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I tried to watch, have watched a few other games through the years and enjoyed it but this one was a sleeping pill. Defence is all well and good but they mostly seemed to grunting in hte middle and throwing wild inaccurate passes. Guess I just dont understand the game after all.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Got home and watched the rerun. The bowl starts at midnight in Holland. I dislike perfect teams, so I a very pleased. Nobody at work was aware of the superbowl. I feel so alone sometimes.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    ACK! It's being considered one of the best two or three Super Bowls ever played. No team ever had a lead bigger than 4 points the entire game. That alone makes for an interesting game, because it's close. The snoozers for me are the ones like last year where the Colts had the game well in hand, and the game was not in doubt throughout the last quarter.

While I will agree that the first three quarters were low scoring, you saw what appeared to be a game-winning TD drive by Tom Brady with just over two minutes left in the game, only for him to be out-done in the final minute of the game by Eli Manning. What you call a sleeping pill I call one of the most exciting finishes in Super Bowl history.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I fully agree with Aldeth (that I am from NY and was rooting for the Giants was actually immaterial to the excitement of the game).

For people who like soccer, I note that many Europeans decry the defense dominated games that show up in the NFL and MLB. I guess everyone likes their own kind of defense.

Anyway, I thought that was one of the absolute best football games I had ever seen and the fact that Belicheck ran off the field before the game was actually over was amazingly fitting. Loser.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Could be because I couldnt keep my eyes up after the patriot took the lead in the fourth quarted and actually fell asleep thinking that it was set which of course meant that I missed the turn around.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

One of the sports networks in Canada said that for the price that scalpers were getting for a pair of tickets, you could get a massage chair, big screen HDTV, subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket, and probably beer and pizza for more than just two people that would have occupied the seats...

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I thought it was an awesome game. I will admit that I absolutely despise the Patriots. Most people just don't like them because they've been winning, I've just never liked them because of the way that they, and their coach act on and off the field. They have some of the dirtiest players in the league on their team, and Brady and Belichek are both arrogant pricks. With all this stuff coming up about the possibility of them taping super-bowl walk throughs (namely the Rams right now, although I'm sure allegations for the others will surface) for the other team makes me despise them even more.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    I can't give links or anything to show it, but there was a short article on it on our Sky Sports News channel (24/7 sports news channel - I'm glued to it). There was all this stuff, like Patriots armchairs, sofa's, beds, the works. Jackets that cost hundreds of dollars. Coins that have a logo on them going for about 120 dollars. I mean, talkabout a pointless amount of money on rubbish. The guy gave a figure, can't remember what it was, but millions and millions. Apparently the amount of money spent on merchandise during Superbowl dwarfs the amount spent on any other sporting event.

It's just not really a thing that's caught on in Europe. Sure, you get tops (jerseys), caps and all manner of other crap on sale, but noone really buys it. Most people in Europe save their money to get more beer!

Sometimes this kind of crap makes me ashamed to live in the western world. Can you imagine how many starving people this kind of money would clothe and feed.

17. joacqin

Media:
    Come on now Barmy, arent you a bit blind now? All that **** exists in the premiership as well and you Brits sure as hell buy enough of it for them to make more. Merchandising is one of the main incomes for the Premiership teams. Selling everything from lingerie to dog food bowls.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Of course it's the same in all sports pretty much in terms of pointless stuff on SALE (not that we really buy the stuff - I've never seen anyone with a Man Utd armchair, or buying Man Utd coins). I'm just repeating an article I saw whereby it was illustrated how much is spent on Superbowl merchandise, which was shown to be much more than other sporting events. Savvy?

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    At Barmy: I own six jerseys.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    No you don't. You own six tops. You're not American. Which are actually not pointless - you can wear them and put some use to them! I have about 4 myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.