1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What kind of car do you drive / why?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Bassil Warbone, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I had a sweeeet 2004 Chevy Trailblazer until it started costing me $60 for a tank of regular :eek: . Six months ago I traded it for a semi sweet 2006 Toyota Matrix. I still bitch about buying a tank of gas :(

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hyundai (sp?) Excel '94 model. Why you ask? Cause I'm still at school and just got my licence less that 2 weeks ago and it is fairly economic in the fuel conspumtion area which is good as I am pretty my broke. Its a piece of junk but it will be all I will be driving for a while. While dad gets around in an XR6 which he is about to upgrade to a turbo. A pity that it is only insured for people over 25.

3. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

The reason I am asking is I am curious if fuel prices are drasticly affecting what people drive now.

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

It would help if I knew where you lived, but at the moment I am paying around $50 to fill a 40L tank with unleaded, the mean price for fuel in Brissy is currently around the $1.25 per L. Being a fairly economic car, I can get qutie a few K's out of it before a refill. Fuel prices will be a major factor when I go to buy a new car in a few years as I want save money for other things. (But I would like to buy a Holden Kingswood ute sometime in the future which is a major gas guzzler. Heading down the 20m driveway, a litre sucked up. Waiting for a minute at the lights, there goes another :) )

5. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

I live in the eastern United States.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I ride a bicycle :)

7. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

@Arabwel : How far do you travel with it.

8. Arabwel

Media:
    Since I live in a really small town, not very. everythiubng I need is at five mile radius, if that.

Any longer distances, i either get a ride from someone already going that way, or use public transportation.

I don't even have a driver's licence.

9. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31

@Arabwel : you sound like a cool person to get to know. I bet you live in a decent sized town compeared to what I would consider small. (nice typos btw)

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

998cc Nisan Micra (1997).
    I was after something for under £2500 with good fuel economy, low tax and insurance and wasn't French. This one had the added benefit of a very low mileage.

Though money isn't exactly a problem, I'd prefer to spend it on something I like. The car (or travel in general) doesn't come into that category.

The better half has a Saab, which covers our needs for something with a bigger boot.

11. Arabwel

Media:
    My hometown offically has little under 10K people - but the town area is, oh, about the size of a large city, in the town proper, there's less than 2000 people. thistown is too smallt o have a movie theatre ot a McDonalds or.. anything, relly.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Public transport. Costs me less than two days worth of just the commute in petrol. Plus, in this city, you often get to places on foot faster than by any vehicle and it's a big pain to find a place to park your car. And you don't have to focus on the road, but you can read a book, talk to someone or even sleep on the bus. Need I say more? ;) And when you want to go to some more distant place, train is much cheaper than petrol, much less tiring and often faster (no traffic jams and the like, no cops fining you if you exceed N kmph etc). And you don't need to know the way. So, public transport all the way. :p :D

13. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Me neither. Why? Because of my silly idealism that I'll get a driver's lisence when I have the money for an electric car.

This won't happen soon.

And besides, I really don't need a car right now. The distances I'm travelling are best done by bicycle or public transports. Especially since the petrol prices in here are soaring.

14. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

1999 Ford Ka (1.3 petrol engine). Filling the tank is about €35.

Dublin is a huge city and the public transportation is not the best. The train is great, but it doesn't go everywhere. The bus services are just a disgrace (I had to wait for 1.5 hours once for a bus to the city centre on a Tuesday evening). There's no underground system, and the tram has just started to be implemented.

I still cycle to work most of the year, though.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Everyone who doesn't even have a driver's license, raise your hand.

*Raises hand.*

Haven't been able to cought up 1200 euros yet, but in the future I fully intend to get the license and buy a mcycle. Yamaha FJR 1300 ABC, if it still roxors then. If I could buy a car too, it would be a two-seated boxer: light and sporty.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Peugeot 206LX 1.1l.
    Small engine = cheap on fuel, road tax and insurance (well, when compared...).
    Only a bit crappy when I want to make a long journey down the motorway :/.

17. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Working on my driver's license right now... But I think it will be a while untill I get it. Untill then, I either ride with my buddy in his car, use public transportation or take the bike.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    A 2003 Honda Odyssey
    A 2000 BMW 528i wagon

19. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Opel Corsa Sport 1.4 (2005). Why? Because I can't afford a Porsche :p .

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ditto, though for my legal blindness than a monetary issue.

My first car was a 1981 Chevy Chevette standard. Surprisingly, it's a durable and reliable vehicle once you get it fixed.

The follow-up was a pair 1984 Chevy Citations, 1 standard and 1 automatic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.