1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is this place?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Bastet, May 26, 2002.

1. Bastet Guest

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] When Neverwinter Nights is finally released, this will be an information hub for people playing NWN in ALFA (A Land Far Away) which is the recreation of the Forgotten Realms...Where Phlan is!

You can check it out here: www.alandfaraway.net

and you can learn more about Phlan specifically here: www.sorcerers.net/phlan/

Click and enjoy!

~Bel

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited May 26, 2002).]

3. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Phlan server hardware in place: Athlon 1.6GHz processer with 1.5Gb of Ram, 60Gb Harddrive, GeForce 3 Pt 500 and ADSL. Should be man enough for the job!

4. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The time is getting closer Erran, how are you and your ADMs doing getting ready for the release? You just bursting at the seams with all sorts of Phlan goodness?

5. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Phlan is comming along nicely, the Toolset Beta enables us to get a better idea of what can and can't be done. As you may have seen, the 'Vahlinghen Graveyard' module was runner up in the best ALFA module competition.

The question is, what about AORTA? the NWN boards here have unanswered questions like 'does AORTA still exist?' and 'can I still join?'

Applications to start in Phlan are now flooding in, nothing official from any of your guys yet.

6. Relic Gems: 7/31

We're starting to get pretty active again, and I have had a few people contact me through the email on the AORTA page. I'll probably post again in the NWN section and just give a heads up. We're not too aggresive trying to get people right now, as we're fairly close to the limit.

For the Phlan server, would you like me to have all us AORTANs that are playing there send you off an email so you know who's where?

<And then I saw the spot about applications, can you give us more info on where to find the app. so we can get going with it?>

[This message has been edited by Relic (edited June 05, 2002).]

7. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Any ALFAn, AORTAn or not, wishing to start on the Phlan server, plese drop me an e-mail outlining your starting char and goals to:
    erran@sorcerers.net
    Cheers

P.S. Remember the faction limit of 20 is pre game only. How you roleplay subsequent recruitment and how you grow is up to you, providing it happens in-game, in-character and avoids metagaming.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited June 06, 2002).]

8. Relic Gems: 7/31

Excellent, that's what I was hoping would be the case. Thanks for your help Erran. I'll get the AORTAns to contact you soon.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmmm ... I think I e-mailed you asking to start in Phlan, but I never filled out an application. I guess I'll re-email you ..... just to be on the safe side. :good:

10. Voersaa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How many players from AORTA will there be on the server?

I'm interested in knowing this since I could see a potential problem with a majority of people who thinks too much alike.

11. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] How many players that are right-handed will there be on the server?

I'm interested in knowing this since I could see a potential problem with a majority of people who thinks too much alike.

12. Voersaa Gems: 1/31

Apparently I have to explain myself. The question is being based on this thread concerning the number of players from AORTA.

I can't say that I know allot regarding AORTA but wouldn't it be a huge restriction on the gaming experience if say 15 out of 20 players all basically had the same way of thinking and the same goals?

Feel free to correct me:)

And Zorac if you answer this, please try to do a better job at being funny.

13. Zorac Gems: 11/31

AROTA is an adventuring guild and the members will surely partake in whatever quests, dungeon crawling, whathaveyou that is available on any server.
    How is this different from any other alfan? And how will this conflict with any other players? I hardly think that the purpose of AORTA is to take over Phlan, Baldurs gate or the world.
    If you don't want to go questing with AORTA members, then don't.

From what I understand will maybe about half of the AORTAns start in Phlan. This would mean about 8-10, but why not say 15. Since people live in different parts of the world I would be surprised to see more than 5 logged on at any time. Is this really a problem? How?

How can it be a huge restriction? If you explain your issues maybe someone can address them.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Voersaa, I understand your issue but there is one key point you are over looking. MWN, ALFA and Phlan are not just about the players. The server will have a DM running the action. He will not roll over and let AORTA take over the server. True, AORTA will be a force in the city but a small one to start. There are other NPC groups who are more powerful than a hand full of 1st level characters. AORTA is not out to 'get' anyone so you don't need to worry about PKing or other such issues. The group's main goal is to have a fun role-playing experience. We wish to stress RP in the game. Is that a issue with you? I would hope not.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm right handed .... but sometimes I use my left for varieties sake :good:

I'd give my left hand to be ambidextrious!

16. Relic Gems: 7/31

Voersaa, I can see where that would be a consideration. From what I know about the Phlan HDM and his ADMs, they could swing quite a few more players than would ever be a consideration on the server. Right now, AORTA is going through a purge to see who will still play, who is playing where, etc. buy I don't expect more than 5 or 6 online at any current time, save for special occasions.

17. Voersaa Gems: 1/31

This is pretty much what I was hoping to hear:)

I just got a little nervous after I read some of Bain Croix posts on the ALFA board. And yes I think he's a jerk too.

The scenario I was fearing was something like 90% of the server being filled up by players that were nearly identical and I alone would stand, to stop their plot to take control:))

18. Zorac Gems: 11/31

I have no idea where you got this "identical" from, but seeing that we are in the same time zone I hope we can get together sometime having a drink and kick some skellie butt ;)

Hope to see you on Phlan.

19. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I'm very much an 'equal opportunity' DM so whatever faction or no faction you belong to won't make a difference in how you are treated in Phlan. Its what you do and how we interpret the consequensces of those actions that matter.
    I am hoping that a substantial group of 'evil' roleplayers take up residence, PvP plots can be the most rewarding!

20. Voersaa Gems: 1/31

I hope this make sense (I've had more then a couple of beers and some wine:))

What I would like/hope to see, is a world were it isn't black and white but shades of grey (yeah I know it's been used before). AD&D has a tendency to somehow be too clean. I like a rough and mean world, much like the European middleage, but combined with the heroics and adventure of AD&D.
    No need telling me that the FR is an already set game world.

I must admit that I have not chosen the Phlan server merely because it interests me (which it does – I LOVE the original Pools of Radiance and Secret of the Silverblades (anybody else who have played these? )). But mostly because I after having researched the different servers found that Erran seemed to be an active and involve DM + the server has three ADM's. I figured that this must be better then choosing a server where there's only one DM who never posts in the ALFA forum (this I’m sorry to say apparently goes for most).
    I want a server that will actually go online and stay there + some DM's to amuse me (and likewise;-P)
    ALFA has set a standard regarding both players and DM's, and so have I! Because I want the potentially greatest computer roleplaying experience of my life. I know that this may sound selfish, but so be it! I for one have no problem saying that I LOVE NWN AND ALFA*

Good is worth nothing without Evil.
    This is why I posted my concern regarding Phlan having to many like minded players, although I'm not so worried anymore. We need allot of different alignments trying to reach their own ends. This will make the depth of the game.

For f*** sake I've just bought a geforce 4 Ti-4400 just for this game only!! (well almost only because of this game).

ZORAN!! My chr. can drink more beer then yours;)

Oh, and btw David Beckham will be home on Sunday with Posh and Brooklyn (HINT! read country).

*If (when it's released) the game sucks, this shall be regarded as nothing more then the statement of a drunk;)

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited June 15, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.