1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the meaning of your names?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Igneous, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've been here for just a week and I see all those names around here, and I wonder what made you use the one your using? Like Taluntain, what or who is that, a legandary sorcerer from a fantasy book? Or The Fat Egg, how did you come by that hilarious name, it's soooo original....

:D Just make this a long thread so you can all upgrade your avatars :D

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

This has been done before but oh what the hell....
    Shura means violence or vengeance. It's japanese so I'm not very sure about it's exact meaning but this is what I've gathered from the way it is used.
    Full name: Shura No Oni
    Essentially, Demon (Oni) of(No) Vengeance/Violence

Hell yeah man.

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] One day a long time ago in a far away galaxy, I was trying to connect to the MSN Zone. First I thought: "To really use the force, my name has to be something really cool and nasty, so that all my opponents will start shaking at the mere mentioning of my name."

Alas, after trying like twenty different names, which were already taken, I felt the force slipping away. Filled with rage I sad something french, and then I had my answer: Grovflab!!! (Roughly translated to nasty mouth.)

And so this has been my online name for ages, while I have fought for honour and wealth in the endless wastes of the universe.

Just a pity nobody understands my name, and thus don't give a shit...... :(

4. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Mine shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but I was picking a name for my fighter/thief in BG1, and turned to my wall of CDs and happened to see David Bowie's Earthling. It seemed like a fitting name for a thief so I used it. Then when I posted a question here I just used that name. However, 'Bowie' (the character) is now defunct as I'm now trying to dual class a fighter cleric in BG1 to import eventually into BG2, and in IWD, my evil thief character didn't fit the name (he's the famous "Mr Klaw" from a TMBG song :))

5. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31

ok...Fenix was a character in a greek(?) myth, I used the name for a while and then starcraft came out and a whole buch of 'fenix's' started popping up. so I put on a last name, strife was the first thing into my mind (I like FF7)

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, as everyone knows, Sapiryl backwards is lyripas. I mean come on! Why ask such a dumb question?

What is a lyripa you ask? I have no clue whatsoever. If you know what a lyripa is, for the love of God, clue me in.

Nah, I just started playing around with sylables one day. I was trying to find a good online name for Starcraft, and well, Sapiryl just came out. Is it a good name? Well, you tell me...

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

OK, it's my character's surname. He was originally just known as Ratchett (as he focuses on mechanical devices - from ratchet, the little tooth that stops a cog going the wrong way), but when I created his brother Cedric for multiplayer, I noticed that most dwarven portraits had grey beards, so I invented the surname from that, it sounds typically dwarven and iron is cooler than grey.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited April 04, 2001).]

8. herf Guest

Shura, that Oni demon thign was mine, if you dont belive me then check my old posts from when i was "Evil Herf, Soul Eater"

my name is the first part of my second name, confussed?

daniel HERField

get it?
    its always been my name, even my brother calls me herf...
    its short, sweet and everyone remembers it!

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well Voltric is a name I used for many years in a LARP D&D game. I came up with the name by changing 'Votricus' into something a little more managalbe. That was the name of a minor character in a book I was reading at the time. Hell if I can remember the title 15 years later! The name was kind of cool, so I changed it a little and Voltric was born. I've never used it for PnP RPGs but I do use it for some online stuff.

I think it has a nice ring to it, what do you think?

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited April 04, 2001).]

10. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Slappy was a name given to me by an old girlfriend based on the fact that I shave my head (and don't have a great deal of hair anyway). Having no hair makes it easier to slap my head, so slappy head, so Slappy.

And its a damn site better than some of the nicknames I've had in the past - Chunky (thighs), Ironballs (don't ask), Laughing Boy (always miserable), Perky or Pervy (based on extreme corruptions of my surname), Stumpy (from a Dwarven P&P character) and Devious (a pedler P&P character). As you can see, Slappy is by far the best of a bad lot.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

11. Igneous Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] How rude, I'm asking you to explain your names and don't even explain my own.... :o

Well, here it goes:
    When I bought Diablo and after that Diablo 2, I wanted an original nickname for a sorceres / sorcerer. I always liked fire, so I started to search in my Dutch to English and Dutch to Latin dictionaries for words like that. Then I came up with Ignus, which meant fire in Latin. I had not played Planescape before (I bought Baldur 2 and Planescape just a month ago after half a year of Diablo 2 addiction :rolleyes: )and thought I was original for a change. But it was taken already.... So I changed it to Igneous, which means something like fiery or 'full of fire', passionate. Always used it since then, and never saw someone with this nick untill now.

[This message has been edited by Igneous (edited April 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Igneous (edited April 04, 2001).]

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ah, this looks familiar. OK, here's another short version of how Taluntain came to be.
    Once upon a time (I promise it won't take too long to explain) a Nameless Sorcerer was looking for a name. It had to be elven, since he was to be of elven descent. It had to be fitting, since just any old name wouldn't do.
    So after a long period of searching, the Nameless Sorcerer stumbled upon a collection of elven names. One overshadowed all others on the list, and boy were there plenty to choose from. That name was - yes, aren't you smart, you've guessed it - Taluntain.
    A fitting name for a male elf, but not only because it has a nice ring to it, but because it is also consistent with my personality.
    Taluntain means Enlightened. And believe it or not, I've been called that here even before I explained that the name meant exactly that. Some might agree, some might not... But that is generally true of all things. ;)

13. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yep, been here before.
    My nickname is taken from real life - that is what I am often called - I have very dark hair (for a belarusian), and when one day I grew a beard and shaved my head (just for the fun of it) I immediately started to look like some Middle-East terrorist - so here comes Modjahed. I don't know if it's a legitimate English word, but it is the English transcription (?) of the Russian ÍÏÄÖÁÈÅÄ.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Mollusk is a funny word and a funny animal. Nobody seemed to call me Mollusk, but Mollusken, so that is how it is.

A mollusk is an animal with no internal bone structure, like squids and stuff.

15. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I took mine from an old shared-universe series of books. He was a very minor char and I was disappointed nobody wrote about him more so I decided to do something with him myself. I think the series was Wildcards and there's even a GURPs module for it.Never played it as I didn't like the universe only the char.

16. Wingfoot Guest

interesting Tripps. and all this time i thought you were a Dead fan. Captain Trips was a nick name for Jerry.

well i've done this before but what the heck here goes. got mine from LOTR....

Wide wonder came into Eomer's eyes. 'Strider is too poor a name, son of Arathorn,' he said. 'WINGFOOT i name you. This deed of the three friends should be sung in many a hall. Forty leagues and five you have measured ere the fourth day is ended! Hardy is the race of Elendil!'

17. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Bogi is a nick shortening my surname for ages. I love it to play sorcerers so i looked in my german-english dictionary for a not often used word for sorcerer (zauberer in german) as i discovered the next word in line: zauderer = waverer and because of the fact that i'm often not very spontanous i found it fitting

18. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Cerryl is a character from a fantasy series by L.E. Modesitt Jr. He's a white mage in the series, and although he's not that powerful he's very skilled and ends up on top in the series.

btw Shura, Oni can also mean Ogre.

19. Mierin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Anyone who deosnt know where my name comes from....well they arebnt fantasy readers.

20. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

While talking about names in fantasy books, in Discworld Terry Pratchett (is that correctly spelled?) mentions the smell of dead or almost dead mollusks. But I found that out after I got my name.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.