1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is Gorion's class?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Lemernis, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Lemernis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Is Gorion a pure mage? Or does he belong to a specialization school? Or is he a dual classed (or multiclassed, i.e., half-elf) character, eg, cleric-mage. Anyone know where to find his personal record/stats?

(On another forum we were recently speculating as to his class due to the fact that he heals the main character in the prologue. IMO that Cure Light Wounds spell is ostensibly a special ability.)

2. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i'm not sure but i think that he is a pure mage

3. Ace of Spades Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Hey Lemmy! I would like to personally welcome you to his board --- I don't think our friends at the "other place" are familiar with this board yet (and I am not the type to go to one board and advertise for another).

I would have to agree that it is a special ability --- maybe some sort of specialized "kit".
    ~Ace~

4. Lemernis Gems: 2/31

Hey Ace! I like the look and feel of this board. It's similar to the ones Ken and Shazira use (which I am currently unable to use for some as yet unresolved technical reason that a few folks have encountered so far). Very nice.

Just what I need! Another place to spend more valuable time with this BG addiction!

I'm hoping someone somewhere on one of these forums knows of a site that has the stats for Gorion, Elminster, Drizzt, et al. I've gotten nowhere with a Google search. Just thought it would be interesting to see.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Elminster's stats are here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002789.html

For info about Drizzt I found this page: http://members.aol.com/RanthorJr/drizzt.htm

Info about Gorion is hard to find, maybe someone who read all the forgotten realms-books know this? From what I saw in BG1 he's a pure make or an iinvoken (he only uses evocation-spells in the battle where he dies) If I remember correctly his magic missile-spell contains 7 missiles so then he should be level 13 or 14 (correct me when wrong)

6. antoine Guest

He does look like a pure mage with a pretty nice mage robe. He maybe the same class a Elminster because the have known each other for a long time and are good friends, so they might have also had the same training.

Well I think they're sorcerers (or is that also conciddered a pure mage?)

Woops sorry this is BG1 so there are no sorcerers, so they are probably pure mages.

BTW in your link it says that Drizzt is level 21 but in the BG2 manual it says that he is level 14
    Also IIRC from BG1 he is not wearing a Drarven Chain Mail but a Mithril Chain Mail

[This message has been edited by antoine (edited June 21, 2001).]

7. Ace of Spades Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] According to the Baldur's gate novel (which SUX), Gorion is a monk. Way back in 1st edition PnP AD&D, monks had the ability to heal themselves, but not others (IIRC). Of course, this does not explain Gorion's ability to heal our pc.

8. Lemernis Gems: 2/31

As we know, there is no monk class in BG1 but since a monk belongs to the priest class the closest approximation in BG1 would be cleric. Is Gorion human? If so, then the developers may have made him a dual-classed cleric-mage. In any event, he still looks to me to be a human mage (and may well be an invoker--tnx, headbanger) with cure light wounds as a special ability.

9. Avooch Dar Guest

Drizzt is a level 16 ranger.
    But because he is drow he actually turns out to be much better than that. And elminster is a mage (lvl30) and a cleric (lvl29)

10. Lemernis Gems: 2/31

Given that E. is human he would of course have to have reached cleric level 29 first, then started all the way at the bottom of the mage class and then finally reach level 30. Imagine trying to do that with one of your own characters! If Elminster did this then I would think there is a fairly strong chance that Gorion did the same. Thanks Avooch. Btw, what's the source on this?

11. Avooch Dar Guest

Well you see in the added extra section of bg at sorccerer's place there is a patch from which you can download the characters of sarevock, elminster and drizzt and loads of others.
    You can play the whole game as them if you wished to do so.
    That is how i found out!

12. Lemernis Gems: 2/31

Outstanding! Thanks! I'm sure I'll get a kick out of those.

Too bad there isn't such a file for Xan (I noticed one for Ajantis). If there was, I would edit him to create a variety of characters capable of using that damned moonblade of his.

13. antoine Guest

Are those Elminster, Drizzt and Sarevok with there own portraits and sound files and are they any good? (probably they are with the high levels and all)

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Of course they are good for you got a real Forgotten Realms-hero in you pary (only Sarevok isn't a real hero)

15. Avooch Dar Guest

they have no portraits and they have no sounds of much goodness. They are fun to play with though. Just take a look at elminsters innate abilities!!!!!

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Possibly the heal-light wounds special ability that was mentioned previously is a Harper thing, like Jahiera's unique druid spell, Harper's Call.

17. antoine Guest

About Drizzt, I found some nice stats of him at this adress: www.defragsrealms.com When you look under PC/NPC you'll find some nice stats of Drizzt, it also says he is a Fighter/Ranger (I don't now how that is possible but he dual-classed that way)

There is also a fantastic picture of Drizzt and his Onix Panther

18. DarkHunterz Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i think i have the reason why Gorion have cure light wounds with still being a mage
    ok kinda early in the game i forgot when and where you have dream about gorion and
    when it was all over i got a special ablity
    to cure light wounds im not sure but maybe that the tells a little more about him
    cause i was a mage when this happened

(edited)
    (forgot something)

[This message has been edited by DarkHunterz (edited June 26, 2001).]

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Your main character gets those special abilities because you're a bhallspawn. Gorion isn't, but I still vote for the specail ability thing. Maybe he's really a third edition character and only has one cleric level :D. Maybe he got that abiltiy using a wish spell. Or maybe the game designers just slipped up and forgot he's a mage when they put that in there. If anything, he does look human, so he could possibly be multiclassed at a low level for a cleric to a mage. Who knows.

Edit: Woops, too much third edition for me aparently. What I meant to say is, as he looks human, he could be dual classed at an early level from a cleric to a mage.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited June 26, 2001).]

20. DarkHunterz Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

if he is a mage would he be able to use a the scroll of cure light wounds ??

[This message has been edited by DarkHunterz (edited June 26, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.