1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is everyone's guess about the console wars?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enthasius, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ok, Id like to know what people think is going to happen in the not too distant future in th console wars. I want your honest idea's of what is going to happen to Sony's PS2, Microsofts X-Box, and Nintendo's GameCube. Anyone can flame anyone.

I think that the GameCube will slowly fall from grace, and become a software creater

I think that the X-Box will continue to sell lower than the PS2, but will be strengthened by the Gamecubes demise (as I put)

In the end, the PS2 is too much of a favourite to everyone to fail now, and that with the increased amount of games companies willing to create games, the PS2 will strengthen further, eventually winning THIS particular war.

Who agree's/disagrees.

[ November 13, 2002, 11:30: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't htink the GCN will die out, I think it will continue a slow build up of strength. The PS2 will be favorite (though it doesn't deserve it) and X-box will gain a group of supporters and will be as well like as the Gamecube.
    But then, anything can happen, you did all see what happened to the Dreamcast right? (Now whats a Dreamcast again?)

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I sell these three consoles. Well, just 2 of them.
    XB isnt very popular here. Even with the free DVD-set included (Remote Control, DVD and some magazines, lets say €50,-), people still prefer PS2. Main reason is more games and a better helpdesk.
    NGC will remain in 'consoleworld' as long as there are child-friendly games available.
    Nintendo (whether Cube or a new console in the future) will stay popular because of their games (for children, at least)

If PS2 would make more games for younger players, then they would sell even more then they do now.

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

PS2 is fine.
    Gamecube will do well because of the various proprietary game licenses (Mario, et. al.)
    X-Box is in trouble. Not enough games. Not enough interest in Japan.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I bought an X box, and I think its absolutely amazing, but with the sheer lack of games its difficult not to get bored. Still, Halo is still the best game I ve ever played. I half regret buying it because the PS2 has all the best games, all I can do is hope for the best, but that rarely happens, so I reckon PS2 will remain dominant for a good many years.

6. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have both an XBOX and a PS2.

While I am very impressed with the XBOX games I have (Halo rules!), they just don't have that many good games, and a lot of games they have are also available on the PS2. If Microsoft could lock up some exclusives like Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy, their future would look a lot better. Halo 2 will not save the XBOX.

I haven't seen enough GameCube to really comment too much, except to say that nothing I've seen so far is making me want to get the system. Nintendo appears to be following in the footsteps of the N64 (very few good games).

Here are my predictions:
    The XBOX will fold in Japan. It is not selling well over there at all. Unlike Sega, though, I think Microsoft will be able to continue in the US and Europe if they offer some good games. If I were Microsoft, I would try to avoid the platform game bandwagon that Sony has jumped on, and focus more on sports games, or racing, or maybe RPG's.

I don't see Nintendo ever returning to their former dominance in the hardware market. They had 2 dominant systems (NES and Super NES), and they've been crumbling ever since, with one disaster after another. The Virtua Boy was a bad idea from the start, the N64 was poorly designed, the highly anticipated 64DD was only released in Japan (to poor sales), and while the GameCube looks better able to compete than the N64, it may be too little, too late. The only thing Nintendo has going for them is the stranglehold they have on the portable market with their Gameboy series. I predict they will get out of the hardware console market, and make only software and Game Boys.

Sony is still going strong. They have a nice selection of exclusive games, and they have a wide variety of games. The PS2 will continue to be the top system until the next wave. They are putting out a little too many of the "3d action adventure" (platform) games, but there are many other choices for the PS2.

7. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that the GC is in real trouble as far as the games they have. For one thing it's difficult to port various games to the thing, and another is that most of the games they've made haven't done so well. The only reason they sold a ton of the bloody things is because they're Nintendo.
    I have both a PS2 and Xbox and I say this: both have their strengths and weaknesses. The PS2 has all sorts of games on it. The Xbox is superior in every way (speaking of hardware) to the PS2, no competition there (example, there are plans to port Doom III to the Xbox, the PS2 couldn't run a game like that, no way.)
    The Xbox's potential strength is FPS games (Jedi Knight (to be released this month) Halo, Halo 2 (when it is released) and other titles.) Also don't forget that Morrowind was released on the Xbox and so far as I know it didn't have any of the bugs and slow downs that the PC version did. Finally, Knights of the Old Republic is due out on the console as well and that'll be very interesting.
    I guess we'll have to see, it could be that Metroid Prime for the GC could be the game that (at least for the moment) helps the GC out a bit (though that's not a game that would compel me to by one of the things.)

8. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31

Atriedes, I have a question for you:
    Do you own any XBOX games that let you use the music from your hard drive? When I got my XBOX, I thought allowing you to rip your music to the hard drive and use it during games was such a cool feature. But out of the five games that I have, exactly zero of them allow you to use the music you rip to the hard drive. So, so you have any games that allow you to use this? If so, which ones?

9. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Personally, I think there is no way the Gamecube will fail. The only project Nintendo ever bombed on was the Virtual Boy, and in fact they were the reason Sega became software developers. Everything Sega did, Nintendo did better.
    Nintendo has been around WAY too long to end up as a software worker. Besides, they still have the GameBoy Advance, and even active companies like Sony are paying to have GBA versions of their games. (Case in point : Crash Bandicoot Advanced.)

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Ahem, you're obviously all a little behind on your console sales knowledge. The PS2 is on top, and always will be, by a huge amount, there is NO questioning it. Currently though, the X-box is beating the GC to a slimy pulp. (In other than Japan). I only have the Japan sales on me so here they are. (The X-box is thrashing the GC now in everywhere else in the world):

PlayStation 2 39,200 (Annual: 3,033,700)
    Game Boy Advance: 37,000 (Annual: 2,119,600)
    GameCube: 18,800 (Annual: 870,000)
    PSOne: 2,580 (Annual: 201,900)
    Xbox: 2,500 (Annual: 267,800) Wonder Swan Crystal: 1,100 (Annual: 99,600)
    Wonder Swan Color: 870 (Annual: 114,100)
    Game Boy Color: 480 (Annual: 79,200)
    Wonder Swan: 43 (Annual: 7,900)
    Game Boy: 24 (Annual: 5,100)
    Nintendo 64: 11 (Annual: 5,900)
    PocketStation: 7 (1,200)

11. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have an x-box and I had doubts this year until recently. HALO is great, Turok Evolution is pretty good, too. I think with some of the games coming this season and early next year, the x-box will really start showing its colors.

I never considered the GC-just never played Nintendo before and I don't like their games.

PS2 is the best all around, but everyone has one already.

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I agree. The X-box really is starting to get its act together, After an awful opening year, it's starting to get going. With fantastic games like Halo 2, Unreal Championship and Unreal 2 on the horizon, you can't go wrong buying one. Although I'm a huge lover of PS2 and Dreamcast, I may soon proudly add an X-box next to them by my telly. :)

Reasons why I dislike the Gamecube:

Nintendo (enough said)
    Dosn't play music
    Dosn't play DvDs
    The worst games selection on any console ever
    Looks awful
    Controller's awful
    No demos with GC magazines
    VERY uncertain future
    Too many games are for a younger audience

[ November 17, 2002, 01:09: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh my God, what the hell is wrong with Nintendo
    I spend years on my NES and SNES, playing Mario, Star Wars and many other games. That was one of the ultimate gamemachines and if you cant accept that, you´re spoiled.

Back to Topic

The XboX is Microsofts first big console, but its still better than the PS2 and Gamecube from the technical view and MS is buying (stealing) big bussiness from its compitition (like Rare, and I heard rumors of Square).
    But PS3 is coming, XboX2 is coming, so the war is far from over and for me its to early for conclusions

P.S.
    Go XboX!!! :D

[Post n° 300 and a Gem n° 9 - YAY!!!]

[ November 18, 2002, 23:04: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

14. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

First to Nutrimat:
    I read in the manual for the Xbox that you could rip music from CDs to replace the music in the music in the games but haven't tried it myself. Actually, I've seen it done by my sister's boyfriend for some racing game or other. He had some particularly cool metal from some CD and had it running while he tried to race. I don't have any games that support that though (bought Halo and LoTR (wished I hadn't!)

Anyway, to the point of my post:
    Recently Metroid Prime was released for the Gamecube and it looks like a solid game. However, when you have people saying things like "the best game released on the Gamecube to date" or other things that makes you wonder...
    OK, OK, so Metroid Prime is a good game, hell, probably one of the best titles released for the console all year according to some but that's not a compelling enough reason to go spend more money just to play the game, thanks but no thanks.
    I've heard that Sony is going to do something weird with the PS3, it's supposedly going to be more of a chipset that is installed in various appliances (televisions) rather than be a stand-alone console (don't quote me on this it was in some article I read on Gamespot's web page.) Anyway, that doesn't sound good if they are planning to do that with the Play Station.
    For now I guess we'll have to wait and see where things go in the console wars (but I've learned that one has to try new things in order to have the best gaming experience, and that's what it's really all about.)

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Console what? Death to them all.

I never play anything but PC games and hell will freeze over before I pay good money to get some console to play on.

16. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31

Soul Forever seeking:
    Crash Bandicoot is not owned by Sony. Neither Sony or Microsoft have any Game Boy/GB Advance products.

I gotta disagree with this. Besides the Virtua Boy, don't you remember the Super NES disk drive (which became the Playstation after a falling out between Sony and Nintendo), the 64DD, and the train wreck that was the N64.

Second, I think Sony is more of a reason Sega went out of business. They were trying to match thier Saturn against the Playstation, and failing miserably. Case in point: Tomb Raider was for both systems, but the Saturn version was so inferior that it bombed horribly.
    The Dreamcast was decent, and in fact it did sell well in the US, but bombed in Japan. Sega was never able to climb out of the hole, and gave up the race.

Morgoth: I seriously doubt you will see a PS3 or XBOX2 before 2004-5. Sony has a monster on their hands, it is selling really well, and none of their competitors have been able to stop it. Releasing a PS3 means starting over again with a new system. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Atreides: This talk of multi-purpose game systems (rather than stand alone consoles) has been around for years. One of the very first home systems, in fact, was the Magnavox Odyssey. It failed miserably because consumers (mistakenly) believed that it would only work on Magnavox televisions. Why would Sony mess with a highly successful formula and do something like this? Remember the Coleco Adam? A combination game system and computer. Bombed, dragging the company down with it.
    Attempts to make a video game system into anything else (computers, "home entertainment centers") always have and always will fail.

New prediction: Nintendo will go down in flames by the end of 2003, and General Mills emerges in 2004 with a new console. GM becomes the fan favorite due to the unique "smell-o-vision" olfactory projector, and quickly passes Sony and Microsoft.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Agreed!!

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Nutrimat

PS2 is already running far behind the XboX the only thing which keeps Sony up is the loyalty of its fans. So to keep Sony running, PS3 is going to be released. I heard rumors of late 2003/early 2004.

But hey you know the deal with rumors, and with the deadline-virusses in the gameindustry.
    So I think 2005. By then Nintendo will prob go down ( :wail: ).

But anything can happen in the gamesindustry so Nintendofans: dont worry!!

P.S.
    /me kicks Apeman and Earl Grey

[ November 19, 2002, 14:33: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

19. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

my favourite online comic sums-up the x-box

:grin:

seriously, there's no way any nintendo console will go down the drain while they still release their mario and zelda franchises exclusively on their system. i love 'kids' games.

[ November 19, 2002, 16:11: Message edited by: the god ]

20. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Urr no. Japan was the DC's most successful market. Hell, games are still being made for it over there. I own a DC and PS2, and I love them to bits. I only recently bought a DC, and by what I've seen, it can easily match up to its 'newer' counterparts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.