1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you want to see in DA2?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by Munchkin Blender, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I personally would like to see more of Thedas such as Orela. Another thing I would like to know more about is Dragons and why the game world is called Da.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    What is Orela? Do you mean Orlais?

You probably should have a look at the books by David Gaider and the pnp RPG. I don't know if the Dragon Age Wiki has more information on these points.

What I'd like to see is more difficult choices and choices that matter (not like Connor in DAO).

Another thing would be better sidequests. I like the crimewave quests but most of the Chantry, Irregulars and Collective quests are just go there talk to X, bring some stuff. It's really not that interesting in the long run and it feels too formulaic.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Making the Irregulars or Collective quests more like the Favours would also be pretty cool: having multiple branches within each one, with an implied power struggle or something to this effect would spice things up a bit (can't see it really working for the Chantry boards though). Conflicts between the different lines, such as helping the Collective too much cutting you off from Templar-oriented Chantry quests, would also make the whole system feel more organic and encourage multiple playthroughs.

I agree with Cara that choices that actually matter would be nice, or at least choices that are truly grey like the choice between the 2 dwarven kings.

4. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    In DA2 I'd like to see the party interaction be returned to what it was in DAO. Since I'm hugely into the RPG aspect of the game and not just the hack & slash killing and questing, I enjoy being able to talk to the others in my party. To me, it helps to really flesh out the game and understand who your party members are and how it is that they truly became a part of your roving group. I'm really not big on the way they put it together for Awakening because, unless you know what to look for in the way of inanimate objects throughout the game, you really don't get to talk to them or react with them unless you've found a plot gift or they have that double arrow over their heads when you're back at the Keep. Romancing a party member was fun, too, because if you think about it, when you're traveling with a group of people for any length of time there's always a possibility of something happening.

I'd also like to see the story fleshed out a bit more so that your decisions throughout the game have more of an impact that can be felt. Not to mention, and call me crazy, but the way they end both DAO and Awakening with those little paragraphs depicting what happened after the main story line is finished so you know how your decisions effected the end portion of the game, well it drives me nuts. It was a bit of a let down when my first PC, who I had romanced Alistair with, had her wedding written about but there was no cut-scene showing the wedding or whatever... just a paragraph about how they got married 6 months later (guess, since Awakening starts 6 months after DAO they weren't married long or touring the country long before she got drafted to be the Warden General) - but even outside of that, pictures showing what happened along with the write-up would help.

Maybe it's because I'm a writer at heart and really get into the story-telling areas of games that stuff like that is what I think of rather than talents and battle strategies, etc., that could be added to the upcoming game :lol:

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My list:

#1 - Better graphics! DAO's graphics were ok, but didn't even come close to taxing my GPU even with all textures cranked to the max. I want armor that acts like steel and doesn't bend as a character moves or magically slice through other pieces of steel.

#1.5 - How about some DirectX 11 usage???

#2 - Like Beren, I'm a huge RPG fan. I want more dialog...and I want more, and *much* longer, romances. Also, it's rated "M" for mature....how about they fill the role of that rating? The sex scenes were rated G in my book.

#3 - I want more areas to explore...and more dungeons to crawl.

#4 - I want more voice actors! I can't count how many random characters that are voiced by the same dude who voiced Jowan. I mean, he didn't even try to change up his voice at all! :toofar:

#5 - More Easter Eggs! :bigeyes:

That's all I can think of right now...

6. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Like who?? Take a look at the post above yours to see who it was that stated they were hugely into RPG's. :D

I still love ya anyways...

7. Caradhras

Media:
    It's already the case with the Favours for Interested Parties quests. You can do quests for two crimelords and depending on the quests you choose you end up taking one out. It's easy to miss that point and I don't know exactly how it works as I only realized this late in the game.

Cutscenes would be nice. I think that Fallout did it better back in 1997. Having Ron Perlman commenting on your character's actions during a slideshow is way better than getting some wallpapers with captions.

1- you'll probably get that. They will most certainly improve that part of the game (not that it bothers me that much honestly).

2- there are a few mods that you could try. Send me a PM if you want me to send you links to mature mods, I didn't want to include them in the modlist as they are rather graphic.

4- play Fallout 3 (or Oblivion) and you'll have to admit that DAO has a lot more variety and great voice acting for followers and main characters like Loghain and Arl Howe.

5- I've started a Rogue build with the intent of stealing from every NPC in the game (including party members) I'll let you know if I stumble on anything.

I agree with everything that has been posted in this thread (doesn't happen everyday!) ;)

EDIT: I forgot one thing but I hope they won't make quests like the Urn of Sacred Ashes. It was fun for five minutes but the all Indiana Jones thing is pretty lame and unimaginative.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can think of a number of things i would like for DA2. Lets see if i can remember all of them...

1. Cloaks. In most crpgs cloaks are sorely missed (by me at least). I want my rogue to be able to wear a sinister looking cloak. shouldn\ t be too hard to implement that bit.

2. Better robes, more variety. The outfits for mages were lacking bigtime in DOA. I think there were just 3) different ones in the original game. And thats counting Morrigan`s outfit.

3. Spears. oldest weapon around. Should be in a medieval crpg. Plain and simple.

4. Hand to hand combat would be fun too. Maybe garotte attacks? Grappling would be fun too. Watching a Quanari lift up a darkspawn over his head, and throw him into a wall. Fun.

5. More companions. 5-6 more would do. adds to the re-playability.

6. New main character. Don`t really want to start out as a level 30 character.

7. a female quanari. Never seen a huge buff chic in any crpg (that i can think of). Would be somehting new.

8. More outfits for the dog. Maybe a spiked helmet, and general armour for it.

9. Alot more variety in outfits. Lots of different looks. Adds spice.

10. More romance options. Longer romances too.

11. More weapons. Scythe, spears, flails, throwing axes, and whatsnot.

12. More races

13. More origins (if they continue that route).

14 . Maybe a storyline that doesn`t involve gray wardens?

15. More locations. Make it bigger. Huge map.

hmm thats it. Can`t think of anything else.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Shar Teel? :grin:

Mods help with variety as far as items are concerned (doesn't help on the console though).

I may be wrong but I don't think they'll drop the GW part.

And I totally agree with what you said about a new character. Starting as a level 30 character would be annoying.

10. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Um... lets see.

First off, DA is pretty fun and I like some aspects of the game world a lot. That said, for DA2:

0. Less Broodmothers, fleshy walls, tentacles, crossbreeds between Aliens and mites and all the rest High Octane Nightmare Fuel mixed in.
    (Dark and horrible, I get it - it doesn't have to be graphic, dark and horrible...)
    Some stuff is just... too far and makes me want to play with the monitor turned off and the speakers unplugged.
    Unrelated - a mod to skip the disturbing tunnels at Bownammar would be worth money.

0a. Less squishy red bits all over the place. I'd be playing gore-y survival horror or point-blank-shotgun games if that's what I wanted. Disclaimer: I don't really mind the blood and some killing moves are great... but dead horses and decay I can live without.

1. Proper robes.
    (Skirts and long stockings are *not* robes.)

2. More in-game-lore and stories, more details, more Ferelden. More named items with backstories.

3. More Templars and Mages. (That's just me)

4. A normal, proper, gloomy templar in the party might be nice (proper = not Lawful Stupid). Alistair absolutely doesn't count as a templar. :p (again, just me)

5. More Mabari!

6. An even chattier party.

7. Choices and consequences are nice, but informed choices. I'd settle for a thick linear story, over an artificial, oversimplified choice outcomes any day. Or at least a "None of the above" option of some kind.

8. Grey Warden non-party NPCs that actually survive. Badassery optional.

9. Probably asking for way too much, but: Crossing into Fade by choice for mages, optional, player triggered. (If anyone played Soul Reaver games or Defiance (all Legacy of Kain series) something like Raziel's Spirit world ability)

10. Tons of dialogues. Can't have too many of those.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    Alistair is not a "real" templar so it's not just you. ;)

I don't know about a more linear game, the game is already quite linear at times. :hmm:

There is one thing that irritates me and that I've forgotten: no more NPCs with no names especially like the guys who join your character and Alistair when they storm the tower of Ishal.

It's really annoying:

-Hello, I'm a GW and I was sent to light the beacon in the tower.
    -Hello, I'm an NPC without a name, I'm not that important, I'm only here because for some reason some higher entity decided that you needed some canon fodder to help you through this part of your adventures.

Come, on... I mean it would have been better if instead of these guys we could have had characters like Daveth and Jory with some sort of personality and at least a name. :rolleyes:

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

1) The game should start off at level 1 with a new PC from another part of Thedas
    2) There is a specific side quest based on the character/origin selected that has a large impact to Thedas unlike the origin impact in DAO. Example: if you pick a mage you have to decide which fraternity you will help throughout the game and each choice you make on this long side quest changes the end game out come.
    3) New specialization
    4) Depending on the region have NPC from DAO make an appearance or be an major NPC in the game
    5) DAO outcomes impacts the game
    6) More equipment
    7) Side quest that your decision impacts the game world and not so much fetch this or that
    8) Another epic game that takes you from level 1 to level 20+
    9) Just more of DA goodness

As for DA2 graphics I have heard and read in more than once source that DA2 graphics will be far superior to DAO graphics.

My only complaint graphic wise was the background graphics. The character graphics and motion I thought overall was pretty good. Of course I'm not playing all the latest games with my PC or PS3. Most of the games I play are about a year old or older.

13. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Oh, sorry, wasn't clear - I didn't want a linear game - I just would rather have no choices, then two extreme choices with no third door to pick. So it would probably be meaningful choices > linearity > oversimplified choices.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    I understand now. Not having good or interesting choices is worse than having no choices at all. Did I get it right this time? ;)

I'd tend to agree with you. Still, both oversimplified choices and linearity are rather frustrating and boring IMO.

@Munchkin Blender: graphic wise I think DAO is ok but I do agree that some textures look a bit rough or unpolished. I don't play many recent games either but if we compare DAO to The Witcher, DAO does not really look much better despite being more recent (but as I understand they started production on DAO a while back so that may explain it).

That's one thing that I liked about Fallout 2. Wouldn't it be fun to run into a middle age Alistair in DA2?

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I heard DA2 graphics are suppose to be much more advance and fully use the graphical power of the PS3 and XBox 360. I so hope this is true and hopefully this time around they also use the Cell Processors correctly in the PS3. It seems like most developers of PS3 games don't know how to correctly utilize the 7 cores CPUs on the PS3.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    1.) A new region of Thedas. They're setting the new one primarily in the Free Marches, so that's met.
    2.) More specializations and Talents. At least some of these should preferably reflect the region the game is set in, so maybe a pirate specialization?
    3.) A mage specialization that actually specializes in nuking.
    4.) More Quna'ri and more of the Qun. Since they're showing off horned and female Quna'ri, I'm guessing that's coming.
    5.) More choices that matter. Saving/destroying the Anvil, the Circle, and the Elves were good, but a little shallow. Recruiting or killing you-know-who was good.
    6.) Spears, flails, clubs, and maybe a few thrown weapons.
    7.) Runes in armor and ranged weapons.
    8.) Staves that actually look good, and mage weapons beyond staves (scepters, mage-swords, etc. that would have better melee combat bonuses, but not as good magic bonuses).
    9.) More variety in looks and styles of clothing, robes, armor, and some of the weapons.
    10.) Bow strings.
    11.) More NPC-initiated dialogue. I loved that you get to drive some conversations, but they should be able to drive some of them, too. I know people complained about it all being that in BG2, but it all being the reverse isn't much better.
    12.) A party of 5-6 instead of only 4 (I know, it's been confirmed that there will only be 4, but I still want it).
    13.) Fully turn-based combat (see comment on #12).

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Turn based combat won`t happen. They are going for "reactive-combat", meaning its more like a fighting game, combos and the whole package. More diablo, than baldur`s gate I guess.

Pirate specialization? Won`t you have to sail around and plunder to be a pirate?

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I heard the same thing but it was for consoles only; I heard that the PC combat system won't change as much as the consoles. Many console users and I still do this but not as much press a button more than once forgetting that if you press X more than once you forgo the previously X button pressed and your character loses an attack for that round. With the updated game play for consoles instead it would enable a combo, which is fine by me.

I have a feeling the DA2 will be more like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on PS2 than DAO. I don't see a problem with that for consoles but for PCs I would complain if they go that route.

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    We didn't have to go assassinating people to get the assassin specialization. Hell, I took the duelist specialization with an archer. And let's not talk about the Templar specialization.

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

By buying and installing DA Awakening you get all but one or two of the specializations form DAO are unlocked and you don't even have to buy a book or get someone to teach it to you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.