1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of this party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rack, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Rack Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've just finished BG and imported my char, a Bard turned Skald. This is the team I'm planning to get
    Viconia
    Korgan
    Imoen (Jan Jansen for the first part of the game)
    Minsc
    rotating 6th spot

Do you think I gave everything covered? I've never played beyond chapter 4 (IIRC) before so I don't know what to expect later on :)

2. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You've got both divine and arcane spellcasters, a thief and tanks... Looks good to me :)

I'd probably skip Minsc and go with Edwin, but I'm a real fan of arcane magic in BG2. Imoen will have less experience than the rest of the party. I'd recommend going to Spellhold as early as possible to even out the experience diffrence.

You might run into trouble later on with low level casters, since SoA is a casters game imo. Your bard will only get lvl 6 spells, and with Imoen behind, things could get rough, hence I recommend picking up Edwin instead of Minsc or just fill the sixth slot.

Everytime I pick up Imoen, I go to Spellhold as early as possible. All the quests can be done afterwards anyways and I find Imoen more or less useless if you've completed most quests before you pick her up.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That party will perform as well as any. The bard stronghold is fun. The Skald is a reasonable kit, but the HLA enhanced bard song will make the advantages obsolete.

Any particular reason why you've never gone beyond chapter 4? What alignment are you? How do you like to play?

4. Rack Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I only had one game that went beyond the begginings and then I've realized that I don't really like my PC ;)
    My aligment is LN, so I would rather like to avoid to many evil NPCies. Viconia is there for the romance, and I can't really think of a non-evil tank to replace Korgan.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Keldorn? He's a boring old racist, but gets to use a certain +5 weapon and fullplate.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is difficult to replace Korgan -- he is a very effective tank. However, I view roleplaying as more important than powergaming so I only take him with an evil PC.

You might think of using Jaheira. With a good girdle and the spell ironskins she can tank with the best of them. She also has a good romance (but I like Viconia's better). As a druid, she can cast very good anti-mage spells (insect swarm, insect plague, and creeping doom) and conjure fire elemental is great spell.

Valygar is often overlooked. He can dual wield katanas. Keldorn is also quite powerful and a very effective mage killer. The only problem with both of these is they could end up fighting (and killing) Viconia -- it doesn't happen every game and you can reload to a previous save to get by it. I also never keep Keldorn after doing his quest.

One item to note in the game: An NPC's level is based on your level when you first talk to them. As a suggestion, go do the unseeing eye with Keldorn and the Planer Sphere with Valygar before talking to Korgan -- see if they are 'good enough' for your playing style. If not, grab Korgan at the higher level.

As a group:

PC Skald
    Viconia
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Jan Jansen/Imoen
    Valygar/Keldorn

... is a very powerful group. You can then drop Valygar/Keldorn to pick up Sarevoc in ToB if you wish. The ability to shift both Sarevok and Viconia away from evil is a great plot line in the saga.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.