1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of Action AND RPG?

Discussion in 'Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone' started by Rutherford, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Rutherford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I love these types of games, personally. I like the RPG feel, without the need of going around continuously looking for fights to beef up my characters. So thats why I think this one will be good. word.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It could be great, after all I'm still having some fun with Diablo and Diablo 2. However, it could be more like Dungeon Siege, which was terribly boring.

3. Rutherford Gems: 2/31

I havent played Dungeon Siege, but it doesnt look like to me like it will be boring...i mean cmon...check out the trailer...lol. i think it will be fun...and RA Salvatore is on board with it. Sweeeeeet.

4. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Although I love hardcore RPGs, I also really enjoy more action oriented rpgs, like Diablo 2 which I really enjoy. That said, from what I read of it, I'd formed the impression that it would be more like the Dark Alliance games. That's a good thing. Dark Alliance is one of the most fun hack 'n slash games that I've ever played.

(In fact, Getting Dark Alliance 2 out for Gamecube is the only reason I don't want Interplay to die this second. Publish it, then die.)

So all in all, as with most games of this type, I say it'll be either great fun, or utter tripe. Only time (and IGN) will tell.

5. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I personally don't like them, I hated the first Dark Alliance and I haven't even tried the second one. I'm probably never going to play Demon stone or any other of these Forgotten Realms hack'n'slashes, because they are usually pretty linear and boring, that said I liked Diablo 1 and 2. And I had some fun playing Dungeon Siege online (took me some time to figure out, I didn't have to do anything to lvl up my character, as he could fight for himself :D ).

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Those sorts of games are great fun, in short bursts, but only (IMO atleast) when playing multiplayer. It's fun to be able to just sit down with a friend and go through hacking everything to peices for a day - the great part about it is not needing to think!

7. Kam Gems: 15/31

Having looked at the movies, I'm not so sure. It's a little thing, but the art style looks WAY too much like the Lord of the Rings movies/games. I was hoping for a little... I don't know, brighter style. Granted, those are only two levels, so we shall see what we shall see...

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One of my all-time favorite games was Diablo (although I found D2 boring after awhile). And while I like BG2 even more, it is because of the action aspect and the variety of gameplay that is offered with the various classes.

While I enjoy roleplaying, I tend to lean towards powergaming, and I find that BG2 let's me do both. I'm hoping Demon Stone has enough RP'ing elements to keep it interesting, but it's the action that I'm looking forward to.

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I just get the feeling they are dumbed down compared "classic" rpgs. C'mon, look how much more depth something like Fallout has compared to say...Dark Alliance?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Obviously, you can't have a game of such complexity on consoles for a number of reasons.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Action RPGs are quite refreshing, compared to standard RPGs with standard problems arising. I love KotOR and I'm sure it's closer to action RPG than classic IE/Aurora type. I mean, I'll always prefer good plot and rich dialogue to hack and slash, but sometimes the plot isn't so rich and the dialogue system is transparent to a programmer. As a result, classic RPGs tend to become tiring after some time, while those Action RPGs are first of all intended for fun and they're successful in making it.

12. Rutherford Gems: 2/31

Taluntain...thats not true...theres a slew of great RPG games that are on consoles. There might be differences bw them and PC games, but I think consoles can support very detailed and complex games.

Chevalier...I agree about them being refreshing...no turn-based play can be a nice change of pace sometimes in my opinion.

And how about the gold announcement?? SWEEET!

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Rutherford, what Tal meant is that there is NO way, at ALL, that a console game cannot, and will not, be as complex as the Fallouts or the Baldur's Gates.

No way.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly. But not because the consoles couldn't support it, but because of interface and control issues. Since you see the picture from consoles on TV, from afar, all text and icons need to be big, so you can't fit nearly the same amount of it on screen as you can on the PC.

Controls are even more problematic. Playing a game like BG on consoles would be pure torture without a mouse and keyboard. Those are the main problems. Console games therefore need to be designed with all that in mind from the ground up.

15. Rutherford Gems: 2/31

I see what you're saying, and understand....i guess im just really excited for Demon Stone and really just want to see it turn out well...and i think it will.

16. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Well, an example that shows that consoles can have as complex rpgs is Morrowind. That never gave me the impression of being merely an action-rpg and the rules system was rather complex and well thought out. Well, I must admit that I only played the computer version, but IIRC they are identical. The only thing that you can't really recreate is some kind of strategical aspect with an entire party, unless you go turnbased and play it completely on a grid and all, just like the d&d rules are in pnp. There are alot of examples of turnbased rpgs showing up on console and they are rather popular.

17. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I grew up on console games, and I think action RPGs are far better suited to consoles than PCs. Sure, such games are probably going to look better on a PC, but to me it's all about the gameplay, and when I want pseudo-medieval hack and slash goodness, I want a controller in my hand. I like the Diablo games, for what it's worth (though I'd like them a lot less if didn't get the battle chest on eBay for 10), but I don't find myself playing them over and over and over the way I find myself going back to the Zeldas, Dark Clouds, and similar games. I guess I just have different expectations when it comes to console games vs. PC games. I enjoy them both equally. D&D type RPGs work better, much better, on PCs (I don't own an XBox so I can't comment on the relative quality of Morrowind). To be quite honest, before Baldur's Gate came along, I didn't like PC RPGs. Graphics were never, and are never a concern for me--if an RPG's story doesn't suck me in, I'm done, no matter how fun it might be to roll up my own character, which is why I'm such a Final Fantasy dork, and vastly prefer Baldur's Gate to Singleplayer Bites (er, Neverwinter Nights :p ).

In action RPGs, the story is important, but I value exploration and tactical combat as much, and this is where I think that despite the hardware limitations, console action-style RPGs out-class their PC counterparts on almost every level. Vagrant Story had a plot that ran circles around damn near everything on the consoles (and a lot of PC games at the time), and though you ran around hitting stuff it was far from a hack-and-slash game, combat actually required thought--button mashing can get you killed. Which, naturally, turned a lot of people off the game. It wasn't perfect, for instance I could have done without the asinine block puzzles, but I think it is a near-perfect example of an action RPG. It also had the best graphics the PS1 ever cranked out, incidentally.

I honestly think PC action RPG developers are too much in love with the hardware. Dungeon Siege is a prime example of this. It's a beautiful game, no doubt, but the gameplay is total, repetitive, ass, and encapsulates everything wrong with action RPGs on the PC. Click on that to go here. Click on that thing to attack it. Here a click, there a click, everywhere a click-click. 'Scuse me while I beat my head into my keyboard. I wish PC developers would spend more time on innovative gameplay, and better game balance and level design instead of how to make a shinier sword or jigglier elf boobs. I just don't see stuff like Dark Cloud's weapon buildup system or Vagrant Story's workshops in action RPGs on the PC, they all fall into the same basic assy mold of click here, kill that, collect kewl magic l00t, with a few odd variations. It's trite and boring and so 10 years ago, and considering the more traditional RPGs the PC has cranked out, I KNOW they can do better. Action-style RPGs don't have to be mindless hack-n-slash fests but unfortunately PC developers have yet to figure this out IMO.

As always, YMMV. :)

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I've always held the opinion that PCs > consoles. The only thing that a PC can't do is play certain console games because they haven't been ported over and even then there are emulators (in production or already produced). Whereas consoles (as alerady mentioned) lack a mouse - almost an imperitive for FPS and Strategy games.

PC games also offer patches, editors and mods.

I don't think I'll enjoy the Action/RPG element of this game. I've always viewed AD&D to be more tactical and when I think hack'n'slash I think of the Icewind Dales. I don't really understand how you can base a game on AD&D and make it action oriented because the very nature of any 20d system takes care of the action for you. But they've probably taken out the 20d idea and use a 'toned down' version of AD&D. You better be able to pause the game as the sorcerer, I don't want to have to flick through a spellbook during combat.

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm really not a fan of action/RPGs, but that's mainly because I'm no fan of action games. To me, action/RPGs feel like almost entirely action, with the RPG only a small portion, as if added as an afterthought. That said, I might have a look at Demon Stone, but I really doubt I'll end up playing it. Not to mention I don't have a console at home (the reason why I never played Dark Alliance), so unless it's ported to PC I'll never play it.

20. Rutherford Gems: 2/31

i could see it eventually making it to PC actually. tho i tend to stick with PC, its games like this that make me glad that i stuck with my PS2 and didnt just get rid of it the first time it busted. anyway, game comes out soon....anyone def def gettin it?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.