1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think is cheating?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sir Ai Rayzor, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Many people out there have different opinions about cheating. But would YOU say that cheating is something like this:

1. Using Dalekeeper (or the CLUAconsole) to correct any character stat/feat/level mistake(s) you've made during the game.

Like if you gave your sorcerer a completely useless skill...

2. Or perhaps if you used Dalekeeper or the Console to "spawn" a blunt weapon so could kill a monster that wouldnt die by anything else than blunt weaponry

IMO cheating is when you create a character and give him/her 30 in all stats, or every available feat (that would be any if every stat is 30), og give the character an awsome resistance that equals being invincible or such, when you are using Dalekeeper or such...

Please post your opinions on this :)

2. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think that correcting minor mistakes you made is not cheating. Especcialy for new players. If they want you have a kickass party by the end, they need to restart the whole game about 20 times I think, because you learn so much when you play, and every once in a while you think: It would be better if I gave him this spell or: he should have higher dex.

I really don't think this is cheating, why start all over again?

Cheating is creating your own game with stats/skills/feats and spells that are way higher then what the original game permits. You could never get all stats at 40 when you play without cheating. But you could have 20 dex. and 14 str. You just needed to start the game over, so this isn't cheating in my opinion.

3. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Now, what you have to understand, is that the Dale Keeper is an awesome tool, you can even roam free with the globals in the game, and you don't see that much effort often. Though it can be used for cheating, I think it is best put to use by people like me who do advanced scripting and manipulate the Infinity Engine. It is a another fish in a big sea, but this fish is huge and gobbles up all the little ones. So using the Dale Keeper can be cheating, and I admit that in BG2 when I first found out about the Shadow Keeper I used it to edit my save games and create ubercharacters. But then I learned the ways of scripting, and it became a tool for manipulating the Infinity Engine. So it can be, and I don't think it is when used to rectify very *minor* mistakes in your game, but it should be used as a tool for manipulation IMHO.

[ January 03, 2003, 13:20: Message edited by: Lord Neon ]

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    using Dale Keeper can and can't be cheating, if you just correct "stupid" thing like giving a Sorcerer 8 Cha and 16 Int, but it's cheating when you give your char better weapon/armor or you "just want to have 18 at strengh when the original was 15" or gice 5 potion of extra healing to each char when you are in prologue. Or My char "just" need 138 XP to level up I'll give it to him/her.

5. romaus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I consider I'm cheating when:
    1- I pump up my PC's HP (say up to 1400) during a too hard fight (example: 8th chamber in the monastery... couldn't get them brass monkeys... monks... down) and then I lower them back to honest level when I am over

2- I replace my "poor magic item" with the one I'd have had if I had played in the heart of Fury mode ;)

That's what cheating is all about to me...

6. Atreides Gems: 7/31

What does it matter if a person cheats in a single player game? so long as they're still having fun it's all right by me. If they do it in a multyplayer game or try to do it in pen and paper D and D then it's not all right.
    Do I cheat? yes! do I care? no! I have my own reasons for what I do and that should be sufficient for any that oppose my personal choice.

7. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't 'cheat' by everyones standards, I just take liberties :D

For instance, in BG2 I really wanted to keep that drow armour, so I put the pieces in my bag of holding and took them to that blacksmith. At that point I quit my game and opened ShadowKeeper, in there I took some Drow Full Plate, added 200lbs to it, removed 20,000k gold from my inventory, removed the pieces from my bag of holding and saved. Therefore I told myself that I had paid the Blacksmith to coat the drow armour in a small layer of Mithril.

Thats what I use SK for. I also edited a character in BG2 to make him a vampire. He would regain hit points as he killed with his fists [bite], he took damage during the day, I put his strength, con and dex up one while lowering his intelligence and charisma two. I gave him something like the barbarian rage, which I sent him into when I thought he had killed a lot of people in a short space of time, I called it bloodlust.

So I use editing tools, but I wouldn't class it as cheating.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cheating is in the eyes of the beholder (and no, I dont mean the spherical floating eyeblobs). As long as you dont ruin someone elses multiplayer experience it doesnt need to be cheating even if you give your chars 30 in all. Every game is supposed to be played because it is fun and if someone wants to juice up their chars because it enhances their playing experience it dont need to be cheating. We all put different borders on when we start to cheat.

9. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Do you think that using CLUAConsole to get Tomes is cheating, if you don't want to play BG1 through again? :hmm:

10. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

Well.. you could change your stats by adding one point and removing another..

not to get stats that are above anything normal.. thats what I meant ;)

11. IaaA? Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thought I'd add my two cents.
    I define cheating as doing anything that cannot be done by the game itself as it comes from the manufacturer. Using the cheat console by definition from the manufacturers is cheating. However, the game has bugs that can only be bypassed by using this console. And, when the manufacturer says to use the console for a bug fix, that is not cheating.
    Now when you do the things that you have described in this thread, what you are doing is creating a new game. You are not playing BIS's game any more. If you think you are, you are cheating. If you think that you have created a new game, then you are not cheating as you are playing a game that is more fun for you; however, you have not beaten BIS's game.
    I played the normal game through twice without cheating (by my definition) and now I'm playing a new game in hOf mode using the Weimer addons only and this is fun for me -- except for the gubs [sic, bugs haha]. :D
    IaaA?

12. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The bottom line is that it is YOUR game, and you are playing this game to have fun. If you find some of the battles too hard or need to correct some "mistakes" you made, go for it. It sucks to have to restart a game from scratch because you weren't familiar with the rules and picked the wrong skill or worse, the wrong class for a party member. You (hopefully) paid for it with your hard earned cash, so do whatever you need to do to maximize the fun you have with it.

I haven't found the game difficult enough to have to ramp up my characters stats, but I'm not through with it yet. I'd prefer to beat the game the "natural" way unless I don't have a choice.

I do think that the more you artificially inflate your characters stats, the less fun the game is, but again, whatever it takes for you to enjoy the game.

13. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think using console or programs(such as DK) is ALWAYS cheating however in single-player it is all up to him/her. Who cares if someone cheats or not. But in multi-player noone sure should not cheat.
    I also made some mistakes for my part, both in my first run and the second one. I never have them "corrected" but that's just me.
    BTW, if that mistake is "little" enough why should I even bother to fix it? ;)

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Asking the question, "What is cheating in your opinion?" is...cheating?

15. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

look at my first statement..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.