1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What books are you looking for?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Aikanaro, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What books are you actively looking for at the moment?

I'm hunting copies of With Her in Ourland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer. Only buying cheap/second hand is proving to be a problem though, and neither seem to exist beyond online stores - though I haven't done a proper quest for Charlotte Sometimes yet.

Anything by Christopher Pike, as well. Always on the lookout to add more of those to my collection.

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm looking for this one stupid book I borrowed from the library, which I've returned already AFAIK, but it stll says that I'm currently borrowing it. Unless I return it in 3 days I have to pay some dues. Or not. It depends. I'll try to convince the other librarians that it was such a bad book that it'll deserve to be in limbo for all eternity, but I think I don't have much to say about it since I'm just a temp and not even on a gig right now. *grumble grumble*

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Any and all of the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter's alias). I loved the movie series and I would really like to read the original writings. The books must be beautiful.

They don't seem to have been published in my country, though, and even if they were, that wouldn't mean much to me, since I'm looking for the ones in English, not translations.

Foreign books are generally not easy to come by here.
    O, well, something will come up, I guess. :)

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'm looking for the Wild Cards books -- titles 9 -- present. There's some new ones readily available, but I never got the ones after book 9 and they are tough to find now in stores (I am a paranoiac who is afraid to buy things online, so that rules out e-bay or even here.)

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never read any Wild Cards books despite loving aSoIaF and even Fevre Dream and the reason is that from what Martin himself have written about the books they do not seem all that appealing. Are they any good? The impression I have got is that they are rather silly never ending sf cliches.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The Wild Cards series suffers from the same problem that all shared world universes have -- that is, many different writers. Some of the writers in the WC universe are excellent -- Martin, Walter Jon Williams, Lewis Shiner, and John J. Miller come to mind. Others (who I am too polite to name) areless skilled. The entire series is an homage to the comics genre, but even within that field there is some good reading and excellent engagement of real social issues. One reviewer said "the effect is that of a funhouse mirror held up to our own world."

Yeah, it has its cliches -- most fantastic literature can't help that -- but overall it's a worthwhile series.

One final point is this -- the series grew out of a PNP game that Martin himself ran. That in itself makes the first few books worth a peek, IMHO.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Complete Greek Tragedies translated by Lattimore and Grene. I want my own copies! They're totally awesome!

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I want my own copy of Feynman's Lectures on Physics. At this point I'm studying with the ones that my old mentor lent out to me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.