1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are the 2 best long swords in the game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] I'm using the Blade of Roses and The Sword of Balduran right now. I was too lazy to do the Mind Glayer dungeon. So what are the best 2 long swords in the game besides the equalizer?

2. Shadowdancer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't know if there are any other +3's besides the Equalizer, Blade of Roses, and...is Sword of Balduran +3?

Dropping to +2, you have Namarra, which I've heard good things about, and of course, Adjatha the Drinker! Lifedrain on hit & immunity to charm!

Any other suggestions?

3. Satanatron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Daystar isn't to shabby; especially against undead and evil foes. You can get it from the Athkatla gate in a room in the Crooked Crane inn. Oh, by the way, its guarded by a Lich.

You will get a decent long sword in ToB if you have got it. A Flame sword +5 with some interesting abilities.

Oh I forgot - "Blackrazor + 3". Problem is you gotta be evil and you get it rather late. In hell you gotta kill the genie in one of the tests (greed I think).

[This message has been edited by Satanatron (edited November 16, 2001).]

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'd have to vote Killsword and Daystar.

5. Demonater351 Guest

Daystar is mine for the Sunray spell, and the bonuses against evil creatures. It's the perfect companion sword for my Cavalier's Carsomyr.

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Assuming I don't specifically need a +3 sword to even hurt the monster (in which case I use the Blade of Roses), I usually prefer to use Adjatha the Drinker and the Dragonslayer. Both swords provide healing (either lifesteal or regen) and both have useful immunities (charm/domination for Adjatha and Fear for the Dragonslayer). I usually keep the Daystar around for its anti undead abilities, but rarely wield it directly.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'd say Namarra and flamethounge, both seem a bit underrated:

-Namarra is a 1d8+4 blade that gives +2 on THACO, its silence is very handy as well. It is an excellent weapon throughout the whole game from SoA to ToB. It can be earned very early in the game and is one of the first +4 damage weapons you'll find.

-Flamethoungue looks pretty puny, a flaming sword without fire-damage :D giving +1 on THACO. It however, deals out 1d8+3 vs. regenerating creatures (trolls/ werewolfs - I always just beat them up and finish them off with a single fire or acid arrow) and 1d8+4 vs undead (and can even hurt the demi-lich skull). IMO the ideal companion for Namarra since it can hurt anything Namarra (just like daystar) can't hit :)

daystar is nice but IMO, except the sunray spell, not as good as two I mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 16, 2001).]

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

blackrazor and equaliser for general purpose

daystar vs undead

9. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Well after using Namarra with my mc f/t for a few days (on Ragusa's advice) I can really rate it now. The silence ability is good and the +4 damage gives that little extra hit on a backstab. Plus you can get it virtually straight after Irenicus's dungeon. Much better than I thought it would be.

If you are thinking about dualing long swords only then my pick would be Namarra and Flametongue, then replace Flametongue with Adjatha the Drinker when you get it.

Of course, I think a better dual is actually Kundane in offhand (short sword) and Namarra in main hand for my thief, since Namarra gets an extra attack then and Kundane will always hit the target first (0 speed). :D

Keep daystar handy, only needs to be in a quick slot to use sunray, doesn't need to be equiped and keep dragonslayer and use against dragons (obvious I know :D).

Swop in blade of roses if you need a +3 weapon to hit.

One thing about daystar, I had minsc using it the other day against some undead and I didn't seem to be getting the +4 against undead, only +2 (had "show to hit rolls" option on)

Anyone else noticed this?

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Go for Daystar in the main hand and in the offhand Adjata the Drinker. Then you are great against undead and you heal 2 hp on a hit!

Ah, did you know this? The fast regenerator (ring of regenearation or ring of gaxx...) and someone with Adjata the Drinken: before you sleep, hit the regenating char a bit until he is almost dead or until you are healed and then go to sleep, the ring will regenerate his hit points to max and you will be healed :)

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You may say what you want, you may search for Daystar and use the spell imbued since you don't have the spell...

But 2 best l'swords are those Ragusa named.

12. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Does Celestial Fury count? I'll take one of those, and a Daystar thank you! Minsc seems to dual weild those two bad boys with skill and then there's always Sunray! ;)

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I always carry Daystar, but I don't think I've ever hit an opponent with it. I just use the Sunray ability.

Honestly, I was very dissapointed with the long sword selection. They might have been trying to keep people from getting "too powerful" with their equipment, but knowing human tendencies ... people will lean towards the more powerful items.

So I have my front line fighters using ... Main PC Hammer/flail; Minsc SilverSword with Daystar & a bow in quick slots; Keldorn w/ the Holy Avenger.

I prefer the idea of a PC weilding a long sword, but I just didn't like any of them.

By the way ... does anyone know if the Frost Brand sword has been maintained into 3rd Edition??? +3 Sword/+6 vs Fire Using, dwelling creaturs.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Maybe Ragusa is right, but Daystar does +4 vs. Evil Opponents and even Double Damage against Undead... so I say it's better then Flame Tongue..... But what the heck... A fighter has 4 main hand Weapon Slots... So in the off-hand Namarra, and in the Main Hand Daystar AND FlamTongue AND Adjana the Drinker AND Dragonslayer.

15. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well I'm a DC F/M so I don't have quite that many but I get your point. :)

16. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Mathetais:

(This was taken from the 3rd edition DMG)

I like the daystar and the blade of roses.

17. Well.. im wielding Blackrazor and Celestial Fury.. and i have to agree that Blackrazor is the best sword in the game.. (What the heck that you get it in hell.. try it in ToB)

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

BLAH BLAH BLAH Headbanger. Daystar NEVER counts as +4 weapon whatever you say. Will you please check already the topic I made ages ago: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002772.html

To Firestorm... Let's assume PoR is on 3rd ed d&d... There are better weapons in there than that you posted about. For example you can find a sword that is considered +7 against drow and has imbued inside one of highest sorcerer spells.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I know that Extremist. The difference: Some undead can't be hit with a +2 weapon like Daystar, and Daystar counts as a +2 weapon, also against Undead and Evil Creatures. But when you DO hit, you do more damage then Flametongue. (however I say it's strange that Daystar isn't count as +4 against undead, you should be able to kick Kangaxx with it, is my opinion)

But it's not that way, so that's why I came wit the solution that's in the post where you also quoted me from: You have four slots for the Main Hand. In the Off-Hand, keep Namarra. In the Main Hand, we have:

- Daystar: For Sunray and agaimst Undead that doesn't need a +3 weapon to hit
    - Flametongue: For Undead that DOES need +3 or better to hit.
    - Dragonslayer: When you encounter Dragons.
    - Adjatha the Drinker: Against simple monsters, to get some hit points back.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Your opinion does not count.

No lich including Kangaxx won't feel anything when you swing Daystar towards them.

Also, the asker asked about 2 (TWO) best l'swords. It was probably because he is not playing fighter so he can't have 7 long swords in quickslots as you suggest.

Can I stop supporting Ragusa now? :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.