1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What and where do you eat when you go out?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Crawl, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OK people. I could use a little help here, and since Whatnots seems to be the perfect place for polls, I got one for you. For the most part, when you go out somehwere to have something to eat, where do you go. What type of places are they, how much do you usually pay, what kinda food do you prefer most of the time. And please, exclude fast food establishments or pizza delivery:p I'm talking about regular restaurants, pubs, whatever. Just no McDonald's or Domino's;) Post because you want to sound off or you want to help me out. Just please post. Thanks in advance:wave:

2. PowerPuff Guest

I've been to Italian restaurants a lot lately. Not by my own choice, however, and personally, I'm not even a big fan of Italian food. The local restaurants tend to sneak in a bit of fish into everything they make, and unless you speak Italian, there's no way of finding out unless you taste it... The menu is all in Italian, even though the owners are locals, and since you have to order in advance, you're pretty much screwed if you're allergic... (My employers, however, are huge fans, and since they're paying for it, who am I to say no? ;) )

Personally, I like dinner dates with candles & red wine & stuff (and in such cases the food is irrelevant ;) ) in places that have absolutely no Burger-King-look-&-feel, but if I was forced to focus on food during my visit, I would prefer Greek food. Well, actually, I would rather be *in* Greece, but I guess I'll have to wait for the next vacation to come along...

A this moment, however, I would settle for some coffee... :coffee: (*yawn*)

3. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The three places we eat at most regularly are a Mexican/Cajun joint called Jose's, a little neighborhood Italian place called Luigi's, and this rockin' Indian place that has live sitar music on Friday nights. Other favorites include Fritzy's, a fancy German place, and a stunning Portuguese (sp?) resturaunt. I hate fast food. The paper it's wrapped in is better for you. Probably tastes better too.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    In Cologne the chips shops (recently adopting dutch style flamse fritjes) and especially greek and turkish take-aways.
    For *really* going out, turkish restaurants (rare but usually good), chinese and italians are my choice - basically it is a question of budged :( ;)

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Five Flagons inn, mostly. They have some good shows afterwards :p

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Ragusa, dutch chips rules, especially the mayonaise (sauce) :)

I eat Doner Kebab, it's turkish bread with slices of spicey meat (also turkish) and healthy green stuff :)

Sometimes I eat chips, a pizza slice or go to the mac but not often.

My favorite Pub is the Cavern, a dark Cave under the ground, with good music (commercial rock, all types, a bit more rock music then other music) I know teh bartender very well and can hear almost everything I want, even my own cd's. Also a clan of the same people come there so I know many there, even if I go to there on my own, I always encounter people I know. I come there to drink and to talk and listen good music.

For I love to play some Pool I also often the House of Billiards. There are 2 floors, in total 60 pool tables, 6 snooker tables and 3 billiard tables.

When I drunk some beer, I want to dance. Normally I go with some friends to The Move, the alternative disco of Arnhem, there they play alternative music, most rock and funk, sometimes a bit jungle.

I learned that alcoholics and marijuana or hash is a bad combination so I don't go to the coffeeshop when I go out.

Sometimes, when there are many friends that like dance or trance, I just visit a dico where they have music like that and party with them, I also like Irish Pubs for the beer. Sometimes I also go to Moortgat, there they have 250 different beers :)

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 22, 2001).]

7. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

oooh i love chinese shmorgasborgs(SP) all you can eat anyhow. And italian food love greek as well. Sovlaki and donairs..mmm yummy.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I love donairs, italian, chinese/indian and mexican food very well, but I don't visit such restaurants often, for it is rather expansive. Nevertheless I eat 3 times a week italian, 1 or 2 times a week chinese or indian and sometimes mexican (my mother doesn't cook mexican often)...

9. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Italian and Japanese food. I rarely go out though since I run a restaurant myself (click on my profile). :grin:

Although I do try to check out the competition once in a while, and try to get a feel of what the current food trend is.

Peice of advice when dining out:

Don't antagonize or be mean to the waiters. From my experience, the mix up usually occurs in the kitchen, especially in establishments where your waiter and server are two different people. You don't know what a pissed off waiter can do to your food. :eek::aaa:

If you're nice and you're a regular, the staff will eventually give you a little extra whatever. I personally do that in mine, to develop a good relationship with my customers, and a number are really regulars 'cause of it.

It also helps as advertisement thru word-of-mouth. :money:

Think about it, won't you return to a place with good food and good service? :)

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited October 22, 2001).]

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What is this "out" you're referring to? Does it have something to do with the fabled "out-of-doors" I've heard tell of?

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

As a student, I personally eat at the first cheap place I get to when I'm hungry.

12. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] There's this neat little Chinese buffet place where I go to college, 10% off the meal price if you show a student ID card. All you can eat wonton soup, hot and sour chicken strips, crab cakes, crab legs, shrimp, snow pea almonding (er...whatever it's called), egg roles - I'm making my 'O' face, "OH! OH! OH!"

That and there's this awesome barbeque place called Brooke's. GREAT chicken. Salad bar, entrees, free refills, coffee, diner style meal, dessert...all for about ten or twelve bucks. Great stuff.

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Usually when going out for a nice meal, I look for a homestyle restaurant (barbecue and steaks) or a good Mexican restaurant like Don Pablo's. Don Pablo's was the restaurant of choice for the students in my university.

There's always specialty places in whatever town I might happen to be in as well. For instance, Tulsa has an excellent pizza place called Hideaway. The best pizza I've tasted, bar none.

14. zeiziot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I like to hang around in a little place called the Smoldering Corpse Bar.

15. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Five Flagons and Smoldering Corpse Bar have been nominated, I gotta put a good word in for the Jovial Juggler ;).

But here in the real world, I am open to all kinds of eating out experiences. The most frequent being anything with...a buffet! :p

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ironbeard: I'm on that train, too.

Fast, cheap, and easy. I am what I eat...

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

$3 university budgie meals - ie slop of the day

its probably deficient in all the essential amino acids, but its $3 =)

18. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I love Mexican food and Italian food.

My favorite place is Damon's where I usually get some ribs, mash potatoes and gravy as well as a side salad and some rolls. But, since it is expensive, I only go there maybe twice a year.

But, also as a student, lunch and sometimes dinner is usually fast food. :(

19. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] 'drool'...

I love mexican food.

lets see...

Chili's is great, although they have taken alot of mexican food off of their menu lately, usually pay $9-12

Popacitos(sp)- good food, bout the same price

Los Polopas- can be more of a fast food place, slightly cheaper

Now i have a memory block and can't remember any of my other favorite mexican food places.

Benigans(sp)- just about anything you can think of in an irish setting. Amazing burgers(not the fast food kind, REAL burgers). $10-17.
    that's all for now...

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Bennigan's is a rather good place. I think their steaks were better than most.

Great hamburger joint in Tulsa called Goldi's. I think it may be a chain actually. Anyhow, has a pickle bar too. :) Good stuff.

Dern, I'm hungry. If only we had some good restaurants right here... heck, I'd settle for an Arby's...

EDIT: had to make do with Sonic. Food's not that bad, actually, and the girls are cute. ;)

[This message has been edited by Capstone (edited October 27, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.