1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

We've got some oil to sell you . . .

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Mar 5, 2012.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

OK, I don't know how much coverage the Keystone pipeline got in the USA, but it sure got a lot up here. I'll give a brief overview of the issue from a very biased perspective, please pardon the bitter sarcasm here.

The Canadian Province of Alberta has a heckuva lot of oil in the northern part of the province. It is in oil sands, which used to be called tar sands. Extracting this oil is a messy business, and we are striving to improve the ecological impact of our industry. The Keystone pipeline was a proposal to build a pipeline from Northern Alberta to refineries in the US, yet a bucnh of jet setting actors and imbecilic hippies kicked up a huge stink and convinced Obama to kaibosh the deal. Looks like the hippies and actors would rather buy their oil from totalitarian regimes like Saudi Arabia than from the country with which they share the world's longest undefended border. And don't tell me that they are afraid of the pipeline spilling. That's retarded. There are many pipelines in use around the world, and the technoloogy is sound. Sounds to me like an effort to get the Canadians to drop their prices even further. In other words, an effort to hose Canada over.

And we don't need any external help in that regard, we've got plenty of internal voices striving to screw us up. A possible pipeline to the West Coast was proposed, so as to ship our valuable commodity to the Chinese, who expressed a willingness to buy it. I mean, oil is a vital part of the world economy, why shouldn't we sell the stuff, right? Our own homegrown hippies, and the Natives, are acting to kill that pipeline, citing environmental concerns. Again, pipeline tech is not that vulnerable, and I do not believe the Natives are truly worried about their ancestral lands. They merely want to extort more money from the companies. That extorted money, bear in mind, rarely goes to improving the lot of the average Native -- it ends up lining the pockets of the tribal elders, who then turn around and accuse the rest of Canada of not caring about the plight of their people, all the while not using the money they already got for the welfare of the people they supposedly govern "democratically".

In addition to this, what the hell is wrong with the Canadian government? Why not invest in oil refineries and upgraders right here in the country? It'd provide jobs, and it's easier to transport the finished product to various markets rather than the crude. That would take capital outlay, of course, but I'd rather my tax dollars go to that than to financing schools in Afghanistan that just get blown up a few months after construction, or to grants for some imbecile to hang a bunch of dead rabbits up in a grove and call it "an important piece of art." What utter fricking crap.

Can anyone give me a different perspective?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Sorry for the contraction of your initial post, but what you said in those sentences is obviously true. Don't you know that money makes everything better?

This I can give perspective on. If it was just an issue of capital outlay, it would be a no brainer. The cost to build a typical refinery to process regular oil is between $350 million and $500 million. I have no idea if that holds true for the oil sands refinement, although chances are it would be more expensive, not less. Even at that cost per refinery there would still be an eventual solid return on investment. However, there is also the issue of time. To construct, systemize, and bring to operation a refinery takes about eight years. That's eight years of actual work. It doesn't include the time required for the legislation to be approved, and then there's the whole contract award process that would be given out to various private companies. The contract award phase alone can add a couple of years onto the process.

The thing is, Canada has this resource which it wants to export NOW. While the refinery is a great long term plan, you'll lucky if you can get it working in under a decade. Exporting the unrefined stuff now can go a long way to paying for a refinery in the future.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The kaibosh as you say has not been put on the Keystone XL (at least not permanently). It was simply bad timing on Canada's part to bring this up when Obama has to worry about re-election. Obama was in a bad spot because the enviro-nuts wanted it dead while the labor unions wanted the go-ahead, both of which are supporters of his. So he tried to punt the issue until after the election. Politics being what it is, his opposition forced him to make a decision before he wanted to and so he killed the current proposal, but encouraged Canada to reapply with a different pipeline route.

I think the main opposition are the people against utilizing tar-sands under any circumstances. But the people in Nebraska had a point about an oil pipeline going through their water-table area.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Yeah, I hear you. My problem is, why the big rush to export it now? Why not take this opportunity to build up our own infrastructure? Think of the jobs!

And I can just see the argument: we have the pipeline in place, it cost a lot, it would render it useless to build a refinery now. We'll just keep selling it out so foreign locations can process it and sell it back to us.

Lee Iacocca said in his autobiography:
    Is that what Canadians want to be? A colony to the superpowers of the world? That's <snipping> disgraceful. Blasted corporations undermining our democracy! One person, one vote my hairy oversized ass! We should not content ourselves to be hewers of wood and drawers of water for other nations.

BTA, you are right about the people who don't want to use the tar sands at all. These people are what i call "morons", as they flit around from here to there in their gas powered cars and airplanes, and they cheerfully turn on their computers and mixmasters powered by COAL powered generating plants, which are horrible polluters. Either they are hypocrites or ignorant, and in either case, their opinions should be carefully listend to and then delicately folded and placed in the trash can.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is not entirely accurate. Politics were certainly a consideration, but not in the way you suggest. The reason the construction of Keystone XL was delayed by the Obama Administration was because such "enviro-nuts" as the Republican governor of Nebraska and a whole lot of ranchers who depend on the Oglalla aquifer have legitimate concerns about running a pipeline full of the world's dirtiest fossil fuels through their land, directly through the center of said aquifer - one of the largest in the US.

The administration wanted time to properly review the plans so that alternate routes could be drawn up and considered. Congressional Republicans were the ones who forced the vote, thereby seizing an opportunity to damage the President by either forcing him to piss of environmentalists by approving it, or by pissing off the unions and preventing "job creation," albeit temporary jobs, by denying it. He did tell the Keystone XL folks to reapply for the permit immediately after doing so, however.

EDIT:

It seems I did not read your response very carefully, BTA - my apologies. I argued essentially what you did. I guess I saw "enviro-nuts" and it got all blurry after that. Blame cup of coffee #3. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Didn't I say that? :confused: Or is your objection that I emphasized Obama and his re-election?

And I believe I distinguished the Nebraskans who were legitimately worried about the pipeline from the enviro-nuts who just wanted it killed.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I edited my post, evidently while you were typing. Apologies again - I was being a douche.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah. No problem; I should have realized it was the "enviro-nuts" comment based on your original repsonse. :)

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Sorry, can't resist, I must confuse Hungary into this too :D

Please invite the Hungarian oil and gas company, MOL Group, we'll gladly take a look at there as well. :cool: We're already operating in Kazakhstan, Croatia, Cameroon, Iraq, Russia, Pakistan and in other countries, so Canada would be a nice addition! One of my friends used to be its deputy CEO in the 1990's, so it will be prosperous for both of us if you can convince your government to contact MOL, LKD :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course you couldn't resist.

11. Baronius

Welcome here, my fan Ragusa! Hugs! And thanks to German industry for investing billions of euros in Hungary, preferring it to Slovakia and other countries. Germans and Hungarians have been friends since 973 AD (Quedlinburg) anyway, let alone the marriage of our King Stephen and your Giselle of Bavaria in 995 AD. ;)

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If we are willing to sell to China, I can't see why we wouldn't sell to Hungary!

13. Baronius

Yeah, and Hungary is still a smaller dictature than China, so the LAW guarantees a discount to us, right, Ragusa?

We wanna exploit it, man, EXPLOIT IT! The upstream portfolio, you know.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.