1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Well, wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by jaded empath, Apr 1, 2007.

1. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, I'm logging in from Kuemper's computer as I stop buy to purchase that extra hard drive they got for her computer (I think it was the power supply or graphics card, according to small talk - I canna remember exactly).

I'm doing this because I'd been having some foreshadowing of hard-drive failure (suddenly missing files so that a game crashes to desktop; monthly scandisk's starting actually finding file and index errors, etc). When hearing that they didn't need the HD they bought, I thought it'd be simpler to pay them what they bought the thing for than go shopping myself, but I hadn't gambled on how quickly the drive was corrupting.

I booted fine this morning, and was able to check my mail and read my comics, then I got a hankering to check the PC's innards. Powering down and taking the case off, I confirmed that my current setup doesn't have any free power plugs to set a second hard drive up; I'd have to just replace the bum disk for the new one.

Replacing the cover and connecting all the cords, I tried booting up with the intent on starting to burn off all my 'personal' stuff (save games, bookmarks, stories and text I'd written but never got around to saving on a floppy/CD or posting anywhere, ad nauseam)...

...but it kept BSOD'ing on me - apparently the defect or wear or whatever that was corrupting data on the drive had spread to the boot sector or Windoz' start-up 'stuff' or whatever. "He's dead, Jim."

So now it's doubly important that I get that replacement hard drive from Kuemper & co. Because unlike this couple my wife isn't at all computer-oriented; she occasionally plays FreeCell or pinball or maybe surfs a little to check something specific. I.E. I don't have a second PC to 'lean' on while I'm trying to get mine resucitated! :mommy:

So now I get to dig out my WinXP install disk, and set it up on a never-partitioned fresh hard drive; my first time at this, so wish me luck!

(Oh, and I still have nagging suspicions that Kuemper 'infected' my PC with whatever 'bad luck' she has when she stopped by to login here through my computer! ;) )

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you want to keep that old drive for a while, they sell "y" cables to split single power connections into two for a couple of bucks...

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Or for about $20-$40 you can buy an external enclosure and turn the drive in to a USB drive that you can take with you. :rolling:

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Um, no. It's dead - it's more dead than the parrot. ;)

It was starting to show some signs of wearing out maybe a week or two ago, but just before 'The Crash,' I was finding maybe a quarter of the directories I'd check would suddenly be 'empty', and attempting to look inside would bring up a dialog window:

"C: is not formated.
    Would you like to format now?
    [Yes] [No]"

:mommy:

Basically it was degrading too quickly at the end to be at ALL safe to put anything on - even as a 'supplementary' drive; a floppy would be more reliable (!) It was three years old, and had been 'rode hard' in that time. (Plus it was a Maxtor - I've always had a (irrational?) preference for Western Digital)

So now it's a nice, oblong paperweight - as soon as I secure a 'hex-driver' we're gonna disassemble the thing; the wife's curious as all get out what the inside looks like, and I profess to some hankering to see the platters and read/write heads first-hand myself... :cool:

Heck, I know there's services to recover data from such misfortunes, but I'm too cheap (and poor) to shell out for that when I can just start over from scratch...even though I did have some unique stories/monologues/etc saved that people had posted on newsgroups & fora over the years; one guy did a hilariously scathing review of ST:RotS that I'm gonna miss. And then there's my long-term Morrowind character; I hadn't played in months, but I'd been slowly husbanding this custom char steadily into perfection for a couple of years now. *wistful sigh*

Ah well, c'est la vie - I get to start all over now; even better! ;)

(Oh, that reminds me, I still haven't put Acrobat Reader back on here yet...)

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The moral of this story? Maxtor sucks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.