1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weirdness with the Guantlets and Ring

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by dogsoldier, Jan 3, 2010.

1. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Okay, I have a fighter-type equipped with two items: the Ring of the Warrior (+1 to hit) and Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise (+1 to hit, +2 damage) [I believe I found 2 of these pairs of gauntlets in the Hand]. I equipped and unequipped each of them several times, and equipped and unequipped each of them singly. The Ring and the Gauntlets each give a +1 bonus to hit, and they stack; that is, when each is equipped, my character gains a +2 bonus. However, the guantlets seem to apply no damage bonus at all, to any of his weapons. I cycled through several different weapons (his 2-handed axe, bow, throwing axe, and hammer) and none of them apply this +2 bonus (I checked it in the Character Information screens; haven't gone and checked actual damage totals in a melee but that is very tedious and I don't want to do it). He has Weapon Specialization in axes, so I wonder if there is some overlap issue perhaps.

I wonder if any of you guys have found this before or fixed it. I have casually reviewed a few lists of bug fixes and have not noticed it mentioned before but I occassionally (;)) have failed to notice things in the past.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

DS, it's possible that it's not showing up on the character screens, but IS being applied to damage. All thrown ranged weapons (and slings) get the STR bonus added to damage ... BUT it doesn't show up on the character screens, IIRC. But I have tested it in combat, and the bonus damage IS being included.

I don't know if this is the same situation with the gauntlets you mention or not, but it's certainly possible.

The easiest way to test this in combat is to give the gauntlets to someone with a 10 STR (i.e. no STR bonus damage), and use a non-enchanted weapon (again, no bonus damage). Basically make the damage as raw and simple as you can make it.... like, say, a short sword that does 1d6 damage. If you see yourself getting 7 or 8 points of damage, then you're probably getting the damage bonus from the gauntlets added in behind the scenes.

Of course, you "can" do this sort of test with higher STR characters with enchanted weapons, and so forth. It's just easier to make the test scenario much simpler, so that the only sources of damage "should" be the weapon and possibly the gauntlets. If you include other possible sources of bonus damage, it may be very difficult to really know if the gauntlets are adding a bonus or not. But if it's just your weapon and the gauntlets... it's quite simple.

3. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have never seen that behavior.

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The phenomenon isn't unpecidented: Slings give you STR bonus to damage, which is obvious in the damage output, but can be found nowhere in the statistics screen.

5. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks, this sounds like a good idea and my sorceror would be a good candidate for this test.

6. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

The gauntlets do work, their effect is just not shown in the damage display. The same deal with spells that grant straight "plus damage", it is just listed separately right below your Attack Bonus listings but NOT included into the calculated damage later on.

But if you want to make sure, go ahead and test. You'll notice two extra damage points rather easily -- after all, it's a straight integer addition and not some oddball variance of a stochastic variable or somesuch nightmare to test.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.