1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapons of Choice: P&P and CRPG?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Sir Belisarius, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I am bored, so I wanted to see if I could get a thread going...

What were your favorite weapons of choice if you played P&P D&D? What were your favorite quick weapons your character had in BG/BG2?

For me, they're fundamentally the same:

P&P: "Xankarthir" - Holy Avenger(Bastard sword), Flametongue Sword (Bastard Sword +1) and a Mace o' Disruption.

BG2: Carsomyr (Holy Avenger - TH Sword)
    Mace of Disruption +2 (Illithium coated)
    Sword of Roses.

Your turn...

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I know I was bored...But I didn't think this topic was THAT bad....

Oh well...

3. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Weapon of choice in P&P for me would be Hammer of Speed. First attack, it's not the damage but how quick you can disrupt a spell :p

I don't really know about CRPG's. I've run into more magical weapons there than I have ever in P&P.

Mithrilhammer

4. Roghnaithe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey guy, I actually had a Holy avenger (Broadsword) that would drain the energy from anything that I wanted it to around it, along with do aditional energy damage to the user. Can't remember the name, though.

BG@: Carsomyr, celestial fury, Gesen Bow (when it would actually work), and the Mace of diesruption.

But I agree with MithrilHammer on the CRPG's weapons comment

[This message has been edited by Roghnaithe (edited January 09, 2001).]

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I just want a sleek katana. A powerful enchantment upon it that drains souls upon a single hit and empowers it's user with superhuman strength and speed would be nice ( Elric's Black Sword ) but I'm fine with an ordinary one in P&P, if I ever get to play one, that is.
    In BG2, there can be no doubt: the Celestial Fury! Woohoo

6. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Well, I think a simple Sword of Sharpness forged in the Ethereal would be nice. On the other hand, a Gityanki Vorpal would be much nicer, but I believe in the little utilitarian things over the mind-blowingly powerful.

And how can I forget.....I WANT A KARACH BLADE! :mad:

7. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Rusty 2handed sword and some butt-kicking for goodness...

I like all weapons but quarterstaff just rocks. It is fast and has an average dmg. My kensai mage does about 20 damage with a speed factor of -4, thaco 4 and a quarterstaff +4. Staves are cool too :)

8. Hmmmmm, as I haven't played PnP D&D (I played Warhammer Quest), I can only give you my favourite CRPG weapons.

With my monk, I always had Celestial Fury as my main weapon, with that +5 sling and Belm as backup weapons.

With my dwarven berserker, I dualwielded the two +3 axes, with the Mace of Disruption (sp?), Azurege and that throwing hammer that only can be used by dwarves.

With my Kensai/Mage, Crom Faeyr was always my main weapon, with a Quarterstaff that cast Fireshield and summoned elementals as backup.

Ah, for the +12 Hackmaster.........

:)

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In table top I enjoy having character with interesting/different weapons. Not not all about min/maxing it's about character. I had a paladin from a fishing village that used trident and harpoon. Two great weapons. A fighter who used classic 'knight' weapons at close range, lance, battle axe, but at distance he only through javalins.
    In 3rd ed. my current Ranger uses a rapier/hand axe combo. I'm into the different stuff.

But in live action strange weapons are hard to use and rather heavy. After a continious fight of only 15 minutes your arms and shoulders get real tired. In real life the good old long sword or short sword is a winner every time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.