1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapons for Dual Wield?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Kenixkil, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I was thinking about a Longsword and hammer combo, switching between that and a longsowrd/dagger combo(think Enteri). Is that good? If not, some tips please...

[ August 20, 2002, 20:38: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Weapon finesse & Rapier + Rapier :thumb:

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have to agree with Earl, twin Rapiers is what my Bard's wielding at the moment, it's a very powerful combo. Especially with Weapon Finesse.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Bah on your silly dual rapier combo. The extra -2 more than offsets the minor advantage in critical range. ;)

Really, it doesn't matter all that much what you go with. I like to have weapons with different damage types just for convenience against damage resistant foes, but its not necessary. Pick a medium weapon you like for your main hand and a light weapon for the off hand. Beyond that, it doesn't matter much.

From a purely powergamer perspective, the light hammer and dagger are not optimal choices because they only do 1d4 dmg. Light mace, hand axe, and shortsword all do 1d6 dmg and still count as light weapons. But use whatever you like. I used a sickle as my offhand weapon.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Vormaerin
    Personally I'm not a fan of dual wielding and think dual wielders should be limited to a dagger in the off hand. Too darn many dual wielders around! :)

I like the good old fashioned look of a weapon and a shield or for "thieves" just a weapon and nothing in the off hand.

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, it is popular mostly because people think its cool looking. Its not actually that effective, really. It costs three feats (unless you are a ranger) and still isn't as "powerful" as the other options. The damage output of a two handed weapon is better and a shield makes a huge difference in defensive capability.

Dual wielding is actually pretty common in the real world, though not as common as it is in fantasy gaming. "Florentine" fighting, assorted weapons based oriental martial arts, Varangian baresarks, etc all were dual wielders. Its rare on the battlefield because its defensive characteristics are inferior, particularly against missile weapons.

However, there is no justification for restricting dual wielding to just daggers. Dagger and shortsword are the most common choices because they have good parrying capability. But axes and a variety of other weapons are well known choices as well. Sure, some fantasy combos (like the dual bastard sword option) are pretty ridiculous, but that doesn't invalidate the whole system.

7. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd have to go with my favorite Two-bladed swords!! :grin: It looks cool and a lot stronger than rapiers (1d8). Plus you can get the same effect as rapier if you get the Uthgardt double blade and get the improved critical feat.
    :spin:
    Now isn't that better than those measly rapiers! :grin:

[ August 21, 2002, 14:59: Message edited by: sick_curtain ]

8. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My fighter/rouge has been dual wielding the rapier Namarra Neversleep with the Astral blade. (Both made by that dwarf in Neverwinter.) Combining with his sneak attack and parry that makes a very nice damage.... and looks really cool of course. ;) :D

Besides, both doing both magical and ordinary damage, means they always do some damage, even to targets protected from either ordinary or magical damage.

[ August 21, 2002, 06:06: Message edited by: Blue ]

9. NTCryst Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] My Fighter/Rogue dual-wielded 2 katanas. I just love katanas.

Eventually those two were Sword Saint Katana +4 (made by the dwarf smith in Beoruna's Well, Chapter 3 - +4 ench. bonus, 1d6 Sound dmg vs. Evil) and Divine Fury (Celestial Fury Mk II - +3 ench. bonus, 1d6 Electrical dmg, 50% chance to Stun at DC-14). That made for 5 attacks/round (with Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat), each for 20-25 damage (STR around 25), not counting the Sneak Attack bonus (bah-roken!).

[ August 22, 2002, 01:38: Message edited by: NTCryst ]

10. Deepdarkness Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hmm i dont have a dual preference as im usually a mage or theif but i tend to like dual daggers when i need weapons. i usually use a nice simple looking weapon that is effective and cool looking as my character is exesivly vain...

11. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I like dual-wielding because there is finaly a use for daggers that do things like stunning and slowing, but do little damage. The off-hand is much more of an effect generator, than a damage generator. Of course you can dish out more damage with two large swords, but the to hit penalty is annoying. Although the rapier is supposed to be like a small weapon for dual-wielding, it always took the penalty for me :p (I'm fully patched up to ver. 1.22, so it isn't that). My favorite combo with my Ranger/Rogue was the Astral +2 and the Feyduster +2. It all ads up for some mad backstabbing. :grin:

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm still only in Chapter 1 with a dual wielding Rogue/Fighter. Right now I'm using the Namarra rapier and the Feyduster shortsword. It seems pretty effective, especially with the weapon finesse/ambidexterity/two weapon fighting feats!

I thought about using that Astral longsword and Namarra combo, but I think I'd lose my rogue's sneak attack bonus with a longsword...Isn't that true?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't believe that's true. I think any melee weapon if fine for sneak attacks, and also ranged weapons within a certain distance.

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] If that's the case...I may switch to Greatsword!!!! ;) :grin: :spin: :roll:

15. Belingas Shrek Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Namarra? Feyduster? :confused: Can someone let me in on what/where these are can be found? Also, I seem to have problems trying to get things identified. Anyone got any hints? :bang:

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think those weapons are made by either the smith in Chapter 1 or 3. (You need special ingredients like ironwood for them.)

What's your problem with identification? Every priest and store can do it for you for 100gp... Look for the eye icon at the bottom of their inventory. Click it, and place it over your item you want identified. Aside from that, collect potions of Lore, you can identify items with those as well.

17. Belingas Shrek Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Cool. Thanks. Its always the simple stuff :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.