1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weakest PC

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by david w, Apr 1, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What's the weakest PC you could go through the game with? Most times when I pick a PC, I roll and reroll my stats to end up with the highest possible scores and also use stat-boosting items to further enhance them. But just to be different, I thought I'd try the exact opposite: the really weak PC.

Now there's a limit to how low your starting stats can be but I was planning to use Shadowkeeper to edit them down to 10 in each category. However then I got to wondering just how low stats can go before the PC becomes useless. If I edit them down to a miserly 3, will the PC still be able to get anything done? He'll be too weak to wield most weapons and too stupid to cast lots of spells (and learning spells will also be a pain) and on top of that he'll probably fail all his saving throws. He'll also have truly lousy HPs that even Aerie can put to shame.

So does anyone know what the weakest possible PC in the game could be? Is it even possible to finish the game with a PC whose stats are 3 in every category?

[ April 01, 2004, 17:21: Message edited by: david w ]

2. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

F/C, F/D or F/M mayby since they get some buffing spells and bonus HP from beeing fighters. Though with those stats, I doubt it - they won't get many spells will they? Almost no HP, awful THAC0 and damage... :aww:

Try it! ;)

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps going with simply the racial and class minimums would be the way to go. For example, if you were a fighter, take a 9 in strength, and 3's in everything else. The one stat you really don't want to put really low regardless of class is strength, simply because if you keep it at 3, I think you're limited to 10 lbs of equipment, which is basically nothing. Also, even the most basic weapons (like a quarterstaff) require a 5 strength.

That's why I recommended a fighter with a 9 in strength as the weakest character that is conceivable to finish the game with. If you do the same thing with say, a cleric with a 9 in wisdom and 3's in everything else, I don't know if you'll even be able to hold a mace, and any type of armor will be completely out of the question.

4. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

If you're not soloing, you can finish the game with any character. The NPC's are perfectly capable of handling everything you encounter except for Bhaal in the dream, and he's not much of a challenge.

But magic items can also make any character powerful. With magical aid, any character can have 22 STR (belt), 18 DEX (bracers), 20 CHA (ring + cloak), 18 CON 8 hours per day (belt), and high WIS and INT as needed (potions). Potions can also enhance the other abilities. You can also get items that summon things to fight for you (staff of fire, etc.).

I think the weakest character you can make is a vanilla mage that never learns any spells and has no inventory whatsoever. But even then you can survive if you're an armchair general with good NPCs.

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hey! and you can use that wacky elf portrait that comes with the game!

(better make him a jester...)

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I was planning to make it a PC with a group but I see what you mean about the NPCs handling the encounters. In theory, the PC could stand in the background and wait out every fight because there are no fights in the game (well, maybe improved Abazigal and the Five) that can't be handled by five NPCs.

So I suppose the best way to go about it would be to edit everyone's stats to average levels but that might be a bit of a pain.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.